Login Redirection

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible to make something like an "auto-redirector" after logging in ... for example ... Lets say I'm logged-in and I'm busy going through some threads and in that process my session expires and I am now logged-out ... Now I want to post a reply to a thread that I've found (I'm still logged-out), but now I have to log in first, so I log-in using the username\password fields on the right hand side, or the "login" button up top, but the moment I press the "login" button I get redirected to the index again, and I have to then go and find that thread again.

I think it should be easy (never worked with php before so I'm not sure, only done it with asp.net), it's basically just a session item which contains the previous page's url, and then redirects you there again after you have logged in ...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a reason you're not ticking the checkbox that keeps you logged in ? :scratchhead:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you should keep yourself logged in at all times. If you can't/won't do that then another alternative is when you find that topic and you want to reply click on the "reply" button and it will ask you to log in, rather than re-directing you to the index page it should take you to the "post a reply" page.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do, but I get logged out every 3 days give or take, but it's not serious, I was just wondering ... How long am I supposed to stay logged in?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have a cookie cleaner, or some other type of system cleaner running on your system on a schedule ?
Maybe your browser deletes everything on a schedule ?

I usually have to login every couple weeks because my cache is emptied when I close my browser, I rarely restart my computer, & I leave cookies alone.
I use the need to login as a reminder to reset my password, so I end up opening the login page in a new tab & handle all of that stuff in that tab real quick.
Since I never navigated away from where I was in the original tab, the fresh login is applied when I click the reply button there.
Thus, I don't really experiecnce what you're going through, though I have experienced it before & see how fustrating it could get if it was happening frequently.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah today it happened 3 times, but that's not the end of the world to me ... it may be because of a cookie cleaner ... Haven't checked that out yet good idea ... and i like the alterative tab thing that's a cool idea ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a quick and easy reply. Whenever you get automatically logged-off, just click "Post Reply" on the thread. That would automatically redirect you to the log-in spot. When you log-in and click "Log-in" it would rediract you to the thread you were posting to.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Here is a quick and easy reply. Whenever you get automatically logged-off, just click "Post Reply" on the thread. That would automatically redirect you to the log-in spot. When you log-in and click "Log-in" it would rediract you to the thread you were posting to.

And if you misunderstood my thread...read Bogeys! :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems I haven't had this happen since the themes changed, the button's no longer there when you're not logged in. :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe just a light theme thing? I just use the dark theme and very rarely get logged off so i never knew this.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanx a lot bogey ... that sounds neat ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Bogey wrote:

And if you misunderstood my thread...read Bogeys! :lol:

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Thanx a lot bogey ... that sounds neat ...

Glad I could help you :D <-- There was a hint of sarcasm!

I didn't completely read SB's first post. I just read half of it and then gave up reading and just posted.

Lol, now I'm laughing at myself.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts