Mac/Safari does not see a cursor when typing or editing text

• Robert Tetenman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure if the designers of the site are aware that when using a Mac with Safari as the browser ( I did not try other browsers) I do not see the flashing cursor when typing or editing text such as in a post or reply.
I see the I-beam and can place my cursor by clicking but the cursor position is never visible. When I view the site on my PC running Win IE I see the cursor as I should.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Install Firefox. :)

Heh.

Sorry, my one shot at being a smart (you know what) for the day.
  • Robert Tetenman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, aside from the fact that I love Safari and do not like Firefox...I was simply trying to make the developers aware of an incompatibility. Regardless of color scheme I should see the cursor and I think it would be a good thing to try to achieve as much compatibility as possible, especially when it comes to something as simple as viewing cursor position. I belong to and post in many forums of all kinds and have never had this problem so I do not believe this is a Safari issue per se. This is something in either the js or css used in the page.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a joke Robert, jeez.

That's enough caffeine for you, no more double espressos.
  • Robert Tetenman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem Daemonguy.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the problem is most likely inherent in the forum script itself which was developed by the phpBB group. Truthfully, I've never heard of it before, but my suspicion is that there are thousands of phpBB boards out there all with this same issue. It certainly would be annoying. It would be helpful if you could view my forum in the link in my sig, go to any forum and click new topic or reply and see if the cursor is missing there as well (I don't have a Mac or Safari to test it). If it is also missing from my board, then the problem is inherent in the board script. If we can discover the reason Bigwebmaster can adjust the board script accordingly here and we can notify the phpBB group of the problem to make a universal fix for it.

The problem is that the current code for phpBB is approaching 80,000 lines of code so discovering the cause of problems such as this could be tedious. I did some quick searches and noticed that Safari can be a little quirky with what it displays when the "cursor" element is used in the style sheet, but I checked and that is not in use at this board.

I would also be interested to know what version of Safari you are using. Although I didn't find anything specific to the problem, I did see a lot of posts pointing out a good deal of quirkiness with older versions of Safari relative to text fields.

Oh, btw - if you still don't get the humor in daemonguy's post, you sorta have to understand that that's somewhat of a stock answer that people give when other browsers appear to be quirky or problematic. It's not the right answer, of course, but it has become a bit of a joke.
  • Robert Tetenman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The thing that prompted me to post was that I design and build phpBB forums and have one running as well. I belong to about 20 forums all running phpBB and none of them have this problem. I was curious if you were aware because to best of my knowledge this is not a phpBB or Safari issue unless as you said, you are using the cursor element, and since you said you are not then that cold not be the problem here. It struck me as so odd when I began posting here because I have never seen this in any phpBB forum I have built or belong to.
I am active as a reader and poster in both phpBB.com and phpBBhacks.com and this has not been an issue discussed there. I am puzzled and most curious. Now I am going to have to dig in and do some research. If I come up with anything I will surely let you know.

I am using the current version of Safari (2.0.1)running under Tiger OS.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Robert,

Does this cursor problem you are experiencing exist for both the quick reply box and the regular reply box here at ozzu?
  • Robert Tetenman
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, the problem is the same in the standard reply and the quick reply.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts