Making rules for website reviews topic more visible?

• dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I usually give out a review or two when I have time in the website reviews topic, and occasionally somebody asks for a review but haven't themselves given any, after which someone usually points out that you need to post 3 decent reviews before requesting one of your own.

Erm. Am I stupid and just can't find where this rule is stated? It might be that others are also unaware of the 3-reviews-before-you-get-reviewed-rule, and if this is the case, then I'd like to suggest making it more visible especially to first time posters who are just browsing and decide to give it a go. Like, maybe make it a 'sticky' topic so that's its visible right at the top?

Boy. I hope the rules aren't posted someplace too obvious...I'm setting myself up to look really silly here :shock:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you click on "New Post" in the review forum it forces you to read the rules first before proceeding. They have to click on the Accept button to even proceed which acknowledges that they read the rules. You have seen this right? I think this is a really good way to enforce the rules as it will not even let them post until they hit that they agree. You don't like this method?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is actually impossible for anyone to request for a review unless they have posted 3 reviews themselves. I have it built into the script so that there is no way it will let them create the new topic until they meet this requirement. So I am not sure how you are seeing new Website Reviews without them at least posting 3 times in that forum. Are you sure you aren't mistaken?
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah...I remember having read the rules somewhere before, but just had trouble finding them again.

Look at the website reviews > third watch online post (how do I do it so it links directly to the post?)

musik replies:

Quote:
Did you read the rules? Obviously not. You broke the first rule:

I don't think its a bad idea to get people to accept the terms and conditions before proceeding, but if you post a website review request a few weeks later (you might have been active in other parts of the forum), then I'd be hard pressed to remember the rule.

(P.S. it could be that they posted 3 times, but the reviews were not satisfactory in the above case...I didn't check)

(P.P.S. Oh wait, I get it now...you get the rules when you post. I'd never posted, so I wasn't aware of this. Hmm. In this case, it could just be a matter of people accepting terms and conditions without reading it. Or just being unfair and posting anyway. Well. In that case, I think the way you do it is fine...nothing much else you can do)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well each time they want to make a new post in that forum it will make them accept the rules again. You don't have to accept the rules to reply to other posts in that forum, but to make a NEW post you will always be forced to go through those rules again. Now many people see the rules but do not read them or comply to them so that is why Musik posted that because they broke the rules they just accepted. Be assured that right before they made that post they were prompted to accept those rules. They just simply ignored them.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey! You're so quick to reply! Next time...I'd be sure not to edit my posts when I realize something...!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe, yeah I see you edited it that you finally figured it out :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

heehee! reading is 'fun'damental! :roll:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think its a very smart idea. It helps offer a broader cross section of reviews as well as giving people an opportunity to critique someone elses site, thus giving them more experience in implemeting changes and being able to look over their own sites for things they can better or change.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts