Message preview tooltip

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just stumbled onto the "Purephotoshop Forums" at http://www.purephotoshop.net/, and see that they have a really cool tooltip feature in their boards.

When you are browsing each category of topics, you can scroll your mouse over a topic and a tooltip box will come up which displays approximately the first 250 characters of the first message of the authors post. You can literally just run your mouse down the page and practically have read every post in just a few seconds by speed reading!

Pretty cool feature IMHO, Would that be something hard to implement here?

Can anyone point me to where I might learn how to do that on my own board?

Sorry if this has been suggested before, please don't slam if so.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jess
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1046970

I think thats the mod you want. Personally I find them very anoying lol :P
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Jess, that definitely looks like the right thing!

I'm gonna check it out a little later when I have some free time at work, Thank you for the link :D
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suggestion:
A tool tip popup containing the first 20 or so words of the persons post when the cursor is put over the thread title in the forum.

Reason:
A lot of people (bless them) fail to put a title that correctly describes thier problem or topic of thier post.
To many topics are titled "HELP!" , "It dont work" or my favorite "how do i........".
If there was a tooltip popup a member can see a brief part of the post, enough to see what they are talking about, without having to visit the thread. This would speed the time it takes the OP to get an answer, increase the amount of help people can give and give people a chance of not visiting a thread they dont want to read or cant help in.
----

I used to come here a while back and i thought ozzu had this feature but i must of been thinking of another forum.
This wouldnt really help small communities but with a forum the size of ozzu with the huge ammount of traffic it gets it could really speed it up, cut server load and reduce bandwidth useage. (and of course help people with slower connections browse faster).

I wont be offended if you think this is a stupid idea :lol: I'm sure its something you have thought about and may of been discussed before.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry meman. uknightuss beat you to this one a couple weeks ago.

I don't know if Bigweb has seen this yet, but I'm sure he will. I know he does read the suggestions.

Obviously this can be done. Just don't know if it will.

My personal two cents is that it would annoy the crap out of me and I'd view it as a total distraction. Primarily, because it would only show the original post. It would essentially be useless for replies. As a mod it would drive me nuts to get that tooltip every time I went to click a link here. Especially since I read almost 90-95% of the unread posts, including all the replies
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol ok, i thought it might of been suggested before . Im suprised i didnt see it.
I guess it could get quite annoying having js popups jumping up all over the place.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's funny, I didn't even realize I was getting replies to this thread!

ATNO -

I'm thinking that in the link that Jess provided that there was something said about the script having the option to be adjustable to show the first post, or the last post depending on your preference. I think it might have said something about how many words/characters get shown as well.

I could totally understand though why people might become annoyed after seeing too many of those while scrolling down the page. Sometimes a person just wants their mouse to be able to rest anywhere on the screen without having to avoid "annoying rollover areas". :)

So really on one hand it is kind of useful to get a quick view of different threads, and on the other hand it could become obtrusive and end up taking away from the pleasurable experience that is Ozzu!
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have to agree with ANTO here. If it was implimented, I would quickly block the script with Adblock. I have done that with a few boards becuase it drives me nuts!
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could make it optional via a setting in your profile.
I know some people like this feature and use it to greatly speed up thier browsing.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
Could make it optional via a setting in your profile.

That's a pretty good idea meman, options are very nice and that would make a good one for people to have here!

Taking away the mandatory part and giving the user the choice to display it or not would pretty much solve the annoyances problem. Is it easy to implement a script/whatever would be necessary to make that an option in the profile? Anyone?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts