Mod suggestion for generic posts.

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there a way to add a mod that will tell people that put "help me" or just "help" or "i need help" that they should rethink there topic name
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i recall correctly, i believe new members are encouraged to read the rules. It does say on the rules not to start topics that have "help" or something like that on it.

I doubt anything will be done to sort out this minor problem. Its too insignificant.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes but i still see them
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Close your eyes, real tight.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

See we added the mod while your eye's were closed! *smiles

Counterpoint - If the mod you suggested was in place - your subject "'Help, 'Help Me'"would not have been allowed - hence I edited it for you, which is a common task for the mods. Yes, we miss some. It happens. There's too much code to play with to write what you suggest as a mod. Sorry, but it won't happen. We'll just continue to do our jobs.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just can't replace people....

Just like Soylent Green. Er, ok...wait, maybe not.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was thinking a few hours of makeing up a code would save even more hours on changing topic names
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Put it this way Cowkiller. Lets say its going to be one person that will be changing the code and that will be BWM. There are plenty of Mods and Super Mods not to mention BWM himself that can change the very rare amount of "help" topics.

Again, the fact this is so insignificant means its almost certain nothing is going to happen. I believe ATNO mentioned this in his last post.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cowkiller, it's not that we don't appreciate the suggestion/s but there are quite a few things in play here. First of all to write a mod like that you have to have someone that knows how to do it and is willing to spend the time on it to do it the right way, which includes submitting it to phpBB. 2nd, you're not thinking about the complexity of it. This would require that the script search only the original post for keyword content, and then formulate an appropriate subject based on what the script finds in the keywords, and then hopefully it can be programmed to spit out the result in understandable English. And there's really only about 3 or 4 of us Mods that have somewhat advanced experience hacking the phpBB code. And all of us are busy.

Not to mention OZZU is already heavily modded as it is, and I believe Bigwebmaster has already stated elsewhere that he doesn't expect or intend to add additional mods to OZZU until after the next "stable" release of phpBB is made available and tested thoroughly for bugs.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pardon my saying so, but for this to be a webmaster forum, you guys sure aren't using your resources very well....look around...there are lots of moderator-trusted people in this forum. I've seen the personal comments in various threads that can only occur between trusted friends. Why does it have to be so limited that only one or two people can make the change? Outsource the problem and those few of you that are "busy" can wait for the answer to come to you. The modding could be tested on anybody's forum simulating ozzu's setup (yeah, you'd have to take a small chunk out of your busy time to give that info to your modding minions). Once the final mod was completed, it could be handed over to one of you moderators for the final application.

I'm sure there are several well-established members who would jump at the chance to contribute back to Ozzu, myself included. This comment is meant to hit on several different suggestions as well, such as the indexing/FAQ discussed a few times...if it sounds like a good idea, but a big project...give it to the minions!
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just want to clarify the two different meanings for 'mods' here (for those who don't know) :)

One is the moderators who look after the forum - part of our job is to change badly named threads to make them more search friendly.

The other mod being mentioned is the nickname for extras which are added to the forum structure so it can do extra functions over the standard version (ie spell check - quick reply box) and countless others.

Adding mods each time a phpBB update is made (which occurs often) requires access to the Ozzu server and this duty is only given to the owner of Ozzu who is very very busy. It just wouldn't be practical to pass that kind of responsibility to just anyone else.

We have 16 people moderating the board at any given time and we have a comprehensive way of communicating so if anything is overlooked (spam, incorrect subject titling etc) it can easily be adjusted.

Just my 2c :D
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
I just want to clarify the two different meanings for 'mods' here (for those who don't know) :)

One is the moderators who look after the forum - part of our job is to change badly named threads to make them more search friendly.

The other mod being mentioned is the nickname for extras which are added to the forum structure so it can do extra functions over the standard version (ie spell check - quick reply box) and countless others.

Adding mods each time a phpBB update is made (which occurs often) requires access to the Ozzu server and this duty is only given to the owner of Ozzu who is very very busy. It just wouldn't be practical to pass that kind of responsibility to just anyone else.

We have 16 people moderating the board at any given time and we have a comprehensive way of communicating so if anything is overlooked (spam, incorrect subject titling etc) it can easily be adjusted.

Just my 2c :D

wow! you learn something new every day :wink:

Actually...i wont be sarcastic. Not very nice :roll:
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:

sadly, we can't all be as smart as me :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I wish i could say the same :wink:
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
SB wrote:

sadly, we can't all be as smart as me :lol:

A point of fact I lament daily. :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago