Networking forum

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Ozzu needs a Networking forum. What do you think?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be more specific: computer networking? social networking? professional networking?

I see no need for a computer networking forum since most networking issues are OS-specific and can be posted in the appropriate forum. As for the other two, I'm pretty sure ozzu has no intention of becoming any sort of social networking website (thank God).
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork, I mean something to do with LAN (Local Area Network).
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I see no need for a computer networking forum since most networking issues are OS-specific and can be posted in the appropriate forum.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've asked for similar to this off and on for about 5 years now George. Most likely will never happen for the reason spork pointed out.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Mark, Thanks. Spork, thanks too,

There is a course here in the school of technology, offering "Information Technology - Networking".

I am with Information Systems where will lead me to either a final year in electives in "E-Business" or "Enterprise Resource Planning". This is out of topic....sorry

I have observed what they are studying in Networking is quite technical-like, like they will end up in a more engineering environment. What fascinates me is about the many terms and hardware that we can learn such as, "switch, router, hub and many more". Software are like CISCO and others. I am not sure if it is a software.

I also wonder if we can build a topology on our own from a 'nothing down' point of view. I think Networking is challenging as the resources we need to start with "costs" money, unlike an "Apache" webserver.

I also intend to learn it in my holiday which I am on now (the school will start in two weeks) not because for I want to excel everyone else for the proud of it. I find that Networking plays a major role overall in Information Technology, for example, now I am trying to set up a LAN at home, intranet so my family members only can access a specific web address only at home. There are many issues I have to consider:

1) Costs
2) Security
3) Maintenance (time to maintain)
4) Training (time to learn by myself)

The hard part to begin with in Networking would be I have no idea where to start.

Most important in this post is, Thanks to you, Mark and spork for replying.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts