New color scheme please

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

These people who are seeing green.... Do a screenshot, paste it into photoshop, and paste here the exact colour hexcode that shows as green.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Himachal Pradesh (India)

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D well Axe ! here is the simple solution. Ask Brian to add some phpbb codes in your eyes so that you can be freed from head to tow and see the divine beauty of creation.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, it's supposed to be grey, I'm seeing grey, so it looks like you got the problem :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

scarecrow wrote:

These type of mods or hacks you are talking about defeat the purpose of having styles or themes, wouldn't you say? With the exception of the header and footer, everything else in phpbb2 themes should be basically left alone I would think. Any changes to the theme/style core files would simply be creating a new theme, per say.

If it is not possible to add functions, addons and modules to phpbb2 like the ones used in phpnuke without going through and modifying every last theme, then I say it's time to look at another board.

As for using phpbb as the main website page, this has been done using fully modded phpbb: http://phpbbfm.net/ but I see they only use one theme too.

scarecrow

I think I'd like to address this. I'm not a php expert like some here are, admittedly, although I do my darndest. I can vouch for the fact that adding mods to multiple themes with phpBB is somewhat difficult. I currently have a total of four themes ongoing with my board now. I welcome you to sign up a membership if you want to check out the alternatives, as I currently have it set so that you can only switch to them if you are a member. The problem comes down to what b_heyer stated earlier....if you add a mod to phpBB you (almost always) have to also change things in every theme template you have.

The thing that you have to consider here is that in addition to phpBB mods, Bigwebmaster has written a few of his own (not published to the best of my knowledge) as well as a few CGI/perl scripts to enhance things. I don't know how many people are on the phpBB team that developed this board script, but I do know it's a task for one person to update and deal with changes. In addition I can also add that some who do the "variations" to the style themes don't follow to the letter the script....so as a result, I am going to have to go back and closely look at 2 of my four themes one of these days and modify them to work with a couple of the features that I have added.

Bottom line is that, IMHO, the phpBB board works well here, and if some do it better, then more power to them...

I can pretty much guarantee you that Bigwebmaster knows his way around these issues and makes good decisions about them.
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe ! I don't know who is right or wrong :)
but I said what I saw. I use Win98 for old games that do not load faster in WinXP like some flavours of Tomb Raider. Sorry I cannot shift to Win98 this time but trust me I will do what you mentioned and then we both will see the divine beauty of creation. :)

joke : I think no one is wrong here. The only wrong person is Brian who started this great forum :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe...no screen shot at the moment...but I'm about 99 % sure the hexcode is #666666

By the looks of it, that should be a shade of grey, but on my home computer it appears a shade of olive green and on my work computer it apears grey as I think it should.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, #666666 should be grey. Equal parts of RGB... guess y'all need to fix your monitors ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
guess y'all need to fix your monitors ;)

Easier said than done *lol
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: ga

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Axe...no screen shot at the moment...but I'm about 99 % sure the hexcode is #666666

By the looks of it, that should be a shade of grey, but on my home computer it appears a shade of olive green and on my work computer it apears grey as I think it should.

my color picker in Bluefish shows the offending colors to be:
#5A595A

i open bluefish and use it's color picker which shows the colors i see on the monitor...

now, there are none of these hex codes listed in:
http://www.ozzu.com/templates/smartDark/smartDark.css

so it must be a monitor or video problem right? i have already changed depth to 16 bit in X, no change. played around with monitor contrast and brightness, no change. reset monitor to default, no change.

i lean to my left and the color looks more correct with a blue/grey just like the laptop. so, should i try this flatpanel display on a windows box and see how that looks?

scarecrow
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm.. that's odd, that #292829 and #5A595A would show as green when they've actually got less green in them than red & blue... Very odd...

My monitor allows me to adjust the RGB output independently of each other on the on-screen display, and the first thing I did was calibrate it right when I got it.
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

These are the same colors that the color picker showed on my monitor that appears green:

http://www.mechanixchange.com/ozzu/

I will get out the flatpanel display manual tomorrow and see if I can get these colors right. I don't think it has much adjustment though.

Maybe it's subliminal suggestion that makes it look green, or perhaps I do have a problem and never noticed it until I visited this forum.

I have other display problems too, funky vertical lines sometime appear in the background image of the header of ozzu! I can page down then page back up and it goes away. It seems to be affected when I do the mouse-over links thing too. Does this in Galeon, Firebird, and Mozilla.

scarecrow
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok Axe ! I have done my homework in Win98 and I am going to upload that image of ozzu forum home page. are you ready ?
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

dreamweaver wrote:
Ok Axe ! I have done my homework in Win98 and I am going to upload that image of ozzu forum home page. are you ready ?

i don't think that will work. visit the link in my post above to view the colors.

scarecrow
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now you have to believe I was capable of that. There is only one dead cop in this room killed by you Axe. hi hi just joking.

Well Axe ! you have to believe I was right :wink: Look at the image and admit it. I also made some boxes on the original image compared the results with grey box :)

http://www.himachalpradesh.us/webs/ozzu.jpg

Now what you have to you Axe :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, all your screenshots are showing as grey for me :)

And this is just a cheap $179 19" I got about 2 years ago from Walmart ;)
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

omg AXE ! I think your monitor is set at very high res. and at full brightness. It is not easy to judge that too easy in that case. That's why I reduced the resolution to 800x600 when T took that shot. Just reduce the res. for a minute and also reduce the brightness a bit and now carefully notice........

I mentioned it earlier it never looks greenish in WinXP. :)
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

people who are seeing the green color are in fact, inside the matrix and are aware that the matrix isn't real and there is a glitch in the code.

on the other hand, users who see the correct grey colors are unaware of what's really going on :shock:

it's the only logical explanation 8)

scarecrow
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

dreamweaver wrote:
I mentioned it earlier it never looks greenish in WinXP. :)

win98 on the same box with the same hardware???

my hardware:
ATI Rage XL
MITSUBISHI 18.1" Flatpanel display

scarecrow
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I'm in 1600x1200 res.. But I've looked at this site in 1024x768, and 800x600, and I don't need to go messing with my brightness & contrast, cuz it's set right - which is why I'm seeing the colours (or lack of) that I'm supposed to be seeing :)
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

:) Ok Axe and scarecrow ! let life trace or vanish this matter in the sands of time. Reality is always different. You can call me a liar Axe, but you cannot deny the fact that many people in here have reported about the "greenish" thing, even the super moderator ATNO/TW told us about that. Now think about that Axe : We all at the same time can not be wrong because we don't even know each other to form a story for a deadly plot. The "greenish" thing is there.

Yes scarecrow ! I am using the same hardware and the "greenish" thing is only in Win98 and not in Win2000 Server and WinXP.

well ATNO/TW ! tell me where the mazic lies, hidden in the sands ? And I will follow you over the wastelands of the heart 8)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not calling you a liar, I'm not saying anybody is "wrong", or that they're not seeing what they claim they're seeing.

Simply that my monitors are set correctly here. I've looked at the site in '98, 2KPro & XP, and I'm seeing shades of grey. Am I then the liar because I'm unable to reproduce what you're seeing?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also the fact that the colors in Ozzu's CSS file are actually truly shades of gray, not green. What this means is either your browser, computer, monitor, or something somewhere is making it have shades of green. There are in fact no shades of green here, so its not Ozzu's problem, but something on your end. The fact more than one person has this problem simply means you guys have something in common with your configurations, who knows what it is though.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figured this out. My computer at home was set to High Color (16-bit). That's where I was seeing the greenish tint. I just switched it to True Color (24 bit) and now it appears the shades of grey I was expecting. Test it out on your own, but that is exactly what made the difference for me.
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I figured this out. My computer at home was set to High Color (16-bit). That's where I was seeing the greenish tint. I just switched it to True Color (24 bit) and now it appears the shades of grey I was expecting. Test it out on your own, but that is exactly what made the difference for me.

did not work in linux using 16bit or 24 bit color ozzu appears the same.

yes Bigwebmaster, it's definately a problem on this end. the problem, my monitor allows you to change green, blue, magenta, red, yellow, just about any color except black or grey. plus, adjusting the brightness, contrast or color depth doesn't help either.

i will post the cause of the problem here when I find an answer. it make take connecting this display to a Windows box for comparison.

sc
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

boy! hat a conspiracy this turned out to be
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe if you took off those funky shades, life wouldn't be quite as green :-P
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The color scheme is just perfect and easy to read. Needless to say less strain on eye. (Even consume less color :) )

We all remember how a site spoiled its look in an attempt to make things attractive. Yes you got it ExpertExchange from a classical Forum look it changed to a light version with blue graphics and stuff.

Great going buddies. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.
  • cyberax
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please update the FAQ section of the site. As I was reading the same and did'nt find any link as User Groups.

And add more information for new members. Information like different types of user Newbie Assistant / Newbie / Hacker and so on and so forth.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

cyberax wrote:
Information like different types of user Newbie Assistant / Newbie / Hacker and so on and so forth.

they don't mean anything, they are just titles, I am by no stretch of the imagination a guru

but if you are interested, they are explained here > http://www.ozzu.com/general-discussion/still-newbie-how-get-promoted-t20799.html
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are no user groups at OZZU, cyberax, which is why you couldn't find a link. The board is capable of it, but we don't use that feature.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 63 posts