New color scheme please

• dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Himachal Pradesh (India)

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no doubt that OZZU is the greatest webmaster forum in the history of internet, but there is something that I want for everybody. My biggest wish is the refreshing new colour scheme for ozzu. I love this forum and I think that there should be at least 3 to 6 color schemes for this forum. The present color scheme is a little kill for the eyes, keeping in view the different resolutions.

What do you think about this ozzuers ? :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

do u mean like different themes for ozzu. becuase i like the colors that are chosen now
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I like the current theme. The white text on the grey makes the content stand out, and there aren't many colors to distract the eye. I think that's important, because the content is the focus here.

That being a given, there are a wide range of themes and colors available for boards like this that members could select instead of this default one. The problem with multiple ones (particularly at this board) is that many modules have been added to this board to give it the functionality it currently has. If Bigwebmaster were to add additional color themes, he would have to update the code for every single module he has added to this place for every theme. I can pretty much guarantee you that it's a bit of a task to do just one theme.

I seriously doubt that you'll see any additional themes being offered.
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that ATNO/TW. ( I love you )

I urge you to check - http://www.tombraiderforums.com - and compare it with the current scheme of OZZU. I think it is strange that being one of the top webmaster forums, OZZU has only one theme to offer. Please don't get me wrong, I love OZZU, that's why I am saying that. Having only one color color theme is nothing for OZZU.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

we're glad to know you like ozzu :)

there's a lot of great discussion regarding this suggestion here --
http://www.ozzu.com/announcements-rules/new-design-for-ozzu-webmaster-forum-t18660.html

eventually we'll get a lighter ozzu theme going, but it's way too
much work right now, especially since the majority of people
seem to like it the way it is just fine.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand that. I'm speaking mostly from experience. My friend and I have a sports board http://imagesculptor.com/pool where I have a total of four themes members can choose from - the default (which is the stock phpBB theme), a hockey theme, an NFL theme, and a basketball theme.

I've had to do exactly what I mentioned above for everyone of those themes which makes me reluctant to add additional modules which would improve the place. I've also lost track of how much I've changed in each template and it would be a real bugger if I had to go in and remove or troubleshoot something.

I've given serious consideration to completely changing it and making it all one default theme instead of having to mess with four. In addition, I've also created custom pages that only members can access that I also have to update with any changes I make.

The problem just compounds itself the more themes you add, and unlike some places, Bigwebmaster does all the code changes to this place himself.

For what it's worth, I'd enjoy choices myself. I'm just trying to explain the impracticallity of it.
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ha :shock: ha nice joke unflux ! you are funny :lol:

but don't say "eventually we'll get a lighter ozzu theme going, but it's way too much work right now" because in the presence of such a great team including you, I don't think it would be such a problem :)
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanx ATNO/TW ! I love your http://www.imagesculptor.com/pool/ because it is simply but very well laid out. Now feel that ATNO/TW or Mr. Mark, your website theme is very light on eyes. Actually I was just saying about the visual philosophy :shock: of human eyes. Whenever you see a light object on o dark surface/background, your eyes open wide - and that means your eyes are working beyond the "allowance" :shock: (just like when you see something like "opposite sex" +++ Whatever goes that way, it means you are forcing your eyes +++ for example in your website http://www.imagesculptor.com/pool/ , we never force our eyes. And that's the bottom line :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a good explaination dreamweaver. But to confirm what UNFLUX said...Bigwebmaster has already discussed a light theme, but I'd be willing to guess that these forums are not Bigweb's primary source of income, and I know he's busy with other things, and it probably won't happen overnight. Keep in mind -- although we work as a team as mods --- Bigweb writes the code changes for this place by himself. So it could take some time.
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanx ATNO/TW. ( I belive you are one of the very kind, helping and knowledgeable person out there ) Actually the whole OZZU team is great, from site admin Brian ( Mr. super Brain ) and all the moderaters are doing the wonderful job. And I just thank you for that. Thanx for enlighting me with such a great information.

I (including everyone on this great forum) appriciate your great team work. But I am sure, OZZU will be ready with more color themes by the next two or three months. And that's the way it is.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

dreamweaver wrote:
but don't say "eventually we'll get a lighter ozzu theme going, but it's way too much work right now" because in the presence of such a great team including you, I don't think it would be such a problem :)

Hey, if it's so easy & quick to do, why don't you go ahead and make a few, and donate them to Ozzu if everybody likes 'em? :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Dreamweaver,

ATNO/TW has pretty much hit the nail on the head with the reasons why there is currently only one theme. For many months there were two themes that existed on Ozzu, but due to the extreme amount of modifications (mods) installed, and customizations that I have made to code myself, it is seriously a major time consuming task for me to add additional themes that work properly with how PHPBB is installed on this server. I try to keep the forum up to date with the current releases of PHPBB, and each time they update, it is major work for me to again resintall everything.

The major focus for Ozzu is the content found here, but it the design of Ozzu is still important. In the future we do plan to move to a lighter type theme which Unflux will most likely be working with me on, but for the time being the priority for this is low. I have many other more important projects for the time being, and Unflux has been pretty busy himself with his own projects. For the time being it doesn't look like either of us will be able to work on a new theme and it is very unlikely that ozzu will ever support more than one theme simultaneously (at least that is how it appears right now, due to the work involved).

I do appreciate discussion on the topic as we are obviously open to discussions like this, and we do greatly appreciate feedback from members to make the environment here an overall better place for everyone.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

For what it's worth, I love the current Ozzu theme :)

White text on a black background is so much easier on the eyes than vice-versa (especially at night when it's kinda dark in the room anyway, heh).
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, I am normally veiwing ozzu late a night when I am tired and the grey on black is soft on the eyes, I personally could care less if ozzu got a new theme because I wouldn't use it
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: ga

Post 3+ Months Ago

dreamweaver wrote:

according to the footer, this site uses phpBB. i do not see how anyone would think that adding a new style or theme to phpBB is a problem. in most cases it's as simple as uploading the files of the new style.

there are 100's of styles (themes, templates) for phpBB. sometimes i prefer a dark style like the default and other times i much prefer a lighter colored theme. but i hate this olive green/grey color.

in fact, you know how they aways say the original is the best? i have not seen a style that was better than the original phpbb2 style - i think it's called subSilver.

something else to consider when modifying php web apps.
put your mods in a separate file then comment out the old stuff you want to replace. finally, include("mymods.inc"); that way your mods don't get trashed and you can easily comment out the stuff then include the mods file.

JMHO

scarecrow
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are hundreds of phpBB themes & templates that don't take into account any hacks or modifications that have been made to the code of the forum. :)

Olive green? am I missing something?

Just looks shades of grey to me.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

scarecrow wrote:
dreamweaver wrote:

according to the footer, this site uses phpBB. i do not see how anyone would think that adding a new style or theme to phpBB is a problem. in most cases it's as simple as uploading the files of the new style.

there are 100's of styles (themes, templates) for phpBB. sometimes i prefer a dark style like the default and other times i much prefer a lighter colored theme. but i hate this olive green/grey color.

in fact, you know how they aways say the original is the best? i have not seen a style that was better than the original phpbb2 style - i think it's called subSilver.

JMHO

scarecrow

Not when you have great deal of mods installed like ozzu does scarecrow, plus there are about 15 additional templates that I had to make just to get everything to match (lottery, point system, quick reply, website review mod, etc). Adding new themes takes alot of work in this case. Now if it was only a default PHPBB installation with no mods, then yah it would be very easy like you are saying.

As far as olive green, there is no olive green here. I think you need to adjust your monitor settings as it might be making it appear there is green. It should be a solid grey color.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:

As far as olive green, there is no olive green here.

? I'm thinking that the mouseover hover for the forums, and the topics, posts, lastposts, etc...columns could be identified as a shade of perhaps an olive green. That may be what he's refering to?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting - on my home computer what I mentioned above does appear to have a sorta greenish tint to it, whereas this one is just varying shades of grey. Must be a difference in the graphics cards or monitors.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, yeah some graphic cards or monitors must not work properly on outputing the correct colors.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, that's what happens when you buy a GeForce ;)
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
scarecrow wrote:
dreamweaver wrote:

JMHO

scarecrow

Not when you have great deal of mods installed like ozzu does scarecrow, plus there are about 15 additional templates that I had to make just to get everything to match (lottery, point system, quick reply, website review mod, etc). Adding new themes takes alot of work in this case. Now if it was only a default PHPBB installation with no mods, then yah it would be very easy like you are saying.

As far as olive green, there is no olive green here. I think you need to adjust your monitor settings as it might be making it appear there is green. It should be a solid grey color.

These type of mods or hacks you are talking about defeat the purpose of having styles or themes, wouldn't you say? With the exception of the header and footer, everything else in phpbb2 themes should be basically left alone I would think. Any changes to the theme/style core files would simply be creating a new theme, per say.

If it is not possible to add functions, addons and modules to phpbb2 like the ones used in phpnuke without going through and modifying every last theme, then I say it's time to look at another board.

As for using phpbb as the main website page, this has been done using fully modded phpbb: http://phpbbfm.net/ but I see they only use one theme too.

scarecrow
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Interesting - on my home computer what I mentioned above does appear to have a sorta greenish tint to it, whereas this one is just varying shades of grey. Must be a difference in the graphics cards or monitors.

could be the monitor or color depth. from my XF86Config on this box:
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"

i did not run 32 bit color. 24 bit seems to speed up X quiet a bit. besides, the default 24 bit mode centers my screen perfectly and i don't have to fool with xvidtune or the flatpanel's built in buttons.

my laptop is running true color, which i assume is 32 bit and the colors look grey like Bigwebmaster said, not greenish.

while websafe colors are not usually a problem anymore, there is a difference in color here.

ATNO/TW - (assuming you have a flatpanel display like mine) on the one that looks greenish, lean to your left or right and see if changes color?

the color on this board when viewed at 24 bit color on my flatpanel display, does seem to be a greenish color. i don't think the video adaptor or monitor has anything to do with it. i have a built in Rage XL and on most sites I notice no difference than my laptop running 32 bit true color.

i dimmed the light in my room but no difference. it may also have something to do with the panels auto dimming feature - i lov this because when i go to a very bright "white" page it auto dims! very neat.

oh, and my flatpanel display is an 18" Mitsubishi and works very well. it's black just like my keyboard and server 8)

scarecrow
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason for this is because all the server side scripting aspects of phpbb2 is seperate from the templates, so while you do not have to change the code for every theme, if the mod involves any sort of appearance change you have to go in and change the template for it.

It's really not that big of a deal, and I'd love to see a forum which automaticall adds hacks to each template you have.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Scarecrow: as far as I know X does not have a 32 bit color, 24 depth IS 32bit windows.

EDIT: And monitor settings, gamma settings, and video card output can ALL effect the color of what is displayed. If you set up the "temperature" of the color to cool or warm, you can get different coloring effects. Gamma can also be adjusted in each color (RGB).

EDIT2: and I am not seeing any grey coloring with that exact same depth in X. MY resolution is a bit higher, 1600x1200, but that doesn't factor in.
  • scarecrow
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
Scarecrow: as far as I know X does not have a 32 bit color, 24 depth IS 32bit windows.

EDIT: And monitor settings, gamma settings, and video card output can ALL effect the color of what is displayed. If you set up the "temperature" of the color to cool or warm, you can get different coloring effects. Gamma can also be adjusted in each color (RGB).

you may be correct, it's shows...

256 - 8 bit
thousands of colors - 16 bit
millions of colors - 24 bit color

so my laptop and server are running the same colors. must be the flatpanel display then. i can lean to the left or right and the colors look the same as the laptop!

scarecrow

update: also switched to 16 bit, no difference. played around with contrast, brightness, etc, no change.

Ps: capturing screenshots won't help, this is a display problem not a graphics problem. in other words, the problem is specific to certain monitors and hardware. if you don't see a greenish color on your monitor, you won't see it in any of my screenshots either.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's just like microsoft to inflate the color count anyway ;) I believe there is a reason for the extra 8 bits, the white spectrum or black spectrum or something, but they really aren't included in the monitor.

Monitors can very easily scew the color mode, I actually just went into mine, and turning down the "temperature" (I can't remember if that's the exact term...I'm almost positive it is) from 9300K (kalvin?) to as low as 5300K. This NOTICIBLY changes the steel, silver and black scheme to a pasty olive color.
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually scarecrow is right in an "unknown" way :D
I have installed Win98, Win2000 Server and WinXP on the same machine and you won't believe it looks kinda greenish in Win98, especially the text links. I was not aware of this until 2 to 3 days ago. ( I live in a hilly area and "as usual" in India, the basic telephone service is not good in such areas. 2 to 3 days ago, the fast dialing failed and I don't know how but my phone number was interchanged from 220257 to 220336. Ha ha I had to tell everyone in reply that it was not a medical store. :D Also the Internet was not working in WinXP. I changed the dialing mode to pulse but nothing worked. Then it was good old Win98 who accepted my request and I was online somehow. = And that was the day when I noticed the "greenish thing" about OZZU. It never looked greenish in WinXP. Really OZZU looks amazingly different in that greenish look.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only thing I see that's green here is the links on the Google ads at the top ;)

I've looked at this site on a whole bunch of different CRT monitors, and a few LCD monitors, with ATI Radeon cards and other makes, with '98SE, 2KPro, and XP, and it's always looked shades of grey to me.
  • dreamweaver
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh sorry Axe, then you should consult forums eye specialist Dr. Brian :shock: :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 63 posts