Not allowed to post links

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm wondering if we need to come up with a silent acting alternative to whatever the error message is that people are getting when they're not able to post links yet. The comments about not being able to post links are starting to stick out as much as the spam links themselves were, even though the comments usually aren't made with the same intentions as spam links.

The first thing that comes to mind, is switching out the replacement HTML for users who would be notified. I'm thinking switching out the <a> with a <code> wrapper and striping the http:// prefix would work out.

HTML Code: [ Select ]
<a href="http://domain.com/page.html">http://www.domain.com/page.html</a>

HTML Code: [ Select ]
<code>domain.com/page.html</code>

When anchor text is used, just ignore it and work with the URL as if only the URL were used.

All I know is I don't like reading comments about not being able to post links, and I don't like having to reconstruct or type out a URL I'd actually want to have a look at that someone has garbled to get past the link filter. :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally don't think we need the link limited to x amount of posts.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why ? :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't really stop spam... all it does is give incentive for people to post more useless posts to be able to post the links.

Links here are more useful then not, since people who post their problems aren't able to post a link to show their problem.

It doesn't really stop spam as much as increases the amount of useless small posts.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

As one of the people responsible for chasing down and eliminating spam posts, I have to disagree with you, Bogey. I don't have any stats as I'm not privvy to any data sources to compile something for you, but I'm sure there's been a significant drop. From the programming forum, I haven't had issue with users sharing their issues, either. They've found ways to share examples when needed.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I wasn't a mod and won't be able to base my opinion on experience and you are probably right. Maybe spam has reduced but one liners or nonsensical posts may have probably increased a bit.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Well, I wasn't a mod and won't be able to base my opinion on experience and you are probably right. Maybe spam has reduced but one liners or nonsensical posts may have probably increased a bit.

I completely agree, and i am sure Bigwebmaster would love to hear if you can think of any ways in which this can be eliminated. I like the idea of there being a certain amount of posts and certain time limit because it really makes it a huge deterant for those don't have the best interest of Ozzu in mind when they sign up.

I know there are several moderators on the site who are deleting any posts that seem to be pointless/silly/or blatant spam attempt. I also agree with UPSGuy when he says spamming has dropped an incredible amount since this was introduced several months ago.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There really isn't much of a reason to post links for a lot of the question people tend to ask. I know it varies from section to section, but even in the website design, people can easily post screen shots and post source code on the site. However, if it comes down to having to see the site, I believe your still allowed to post links in the PM system. If someone really wants to look into a post they can ask the OP to send them a link in a PM to keep it off the boards.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It definitely stops the human spammers. It's starting to make the xrummer/automated/etc spammers easier to spot as well.
  • bladedomain-hosting
  • bladedomain-hosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well as I said in the other thread its bias options from the people that aren't being effected buy it. Since you were here to get all the glory. The people are saying it too darn high, bring it to something reasonable isn't that hard to understand. But its also hard for us to believe you would understand that because it doesn't effect you since you have it all. I don't know how to make that ant simpler. Its simple enough... Anyway bias opinions and unfairness is not a good thing at all.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think of it like this. If we allow signatures that are easily attainable, then the market gets flooded and the signatures no longer have much value. Sort of like if the government starts printing alot of money so that they do not have to increase the national debt. The more money they pump into the system, the less the money is actually worth. If however, the market isn't flooded then those who do get signatures it now becomes more valuable to those members as their sigs will stand out more and get more traffic from it ;)

Regardless, the reason for putting this restriction in affect isn't to upset members. Things got to the point on the board that the spammers were overrunning the board and was putting a really high workload for the moderators. Since the change this has helped a great deal, but there are drawbacks as you mentioned. There is no perfect system to stop the spammers, but in our opinion this rule we put into affect has caused more benefits then drawbacks.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

bladedomain-hosting, you act like everyone is stupid as if they don't understand your argument. In reality, everyone knows exactly what you're saying, but it's a weak argument.

What you're saying in your argument, is that you don't even plan on staying around. The threshold is higher than the number of posts you were planning on making before just taking off and never visiting again.

You're right, I am biased. I'm biased towards the site surviving. I couldn't care less what happens to people like you who just want to get your signature shown than disappear as long as the site survives.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts