Is Ozzu Dead?

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have notice this year and the ending of last year that there is very little activity. I may be wrong but it sure seems like its gotten quiet in here...

Defently in the programming section.....
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I noticed the same exact thing and was thinking about it earlier today. Don't know what's up with that... I can pick it up a bit by starting a programming project though, lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just don't post as much as I used to. (heehee)
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know I haven't been on as much as I used to, mostly because I haven't taken any breaks from school. I imagine it's similar for a lot of posters on ozzu. My school quadrupled their amount of students within the last year and a half. I assume it's associated with the economy. I'll see if I can't get a few tutorials going in the next week or so. Might help pick up a couple of new members. Who's with me?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think mindfullsilence just made a post so he could make it 666 posts!
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

AHHH GET RID OF IT!

whew...that was a close one
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you are right mindfullsilence, I think the economy is highly related to the lack of activity on ozzu. The traffic on Ozzu is actually near record highs right now which makes me think there could be a few factors. My first hunch is before many members had free time at work to also make posts on ozzu. Once such member that I think of is 613flavah. In the last few years her organization prevented them from visiting certain websites (including ozzu), and that was exactly when she used to participate a great deal here. Also with the economy and so many jobs cut, this increases the workload for most employees which gives them less time to post. Second its also possible that employees may not want to risk surfing the internet due to the fact they could lose their job for not working.

Other than that I think I need to work on converting guests into registered members, prompting up boxes and such encouraging them to login and become a member. In the near future Ozzu will start having all sorts of tools webmasters can use which may also increase retention and members visiting on a daily basis.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a good point about companies being more restrictive. As it stands now I have unlimited access to anything, but when the time comes that we merge our network and integrate with our parent company's platform, we'll most likely have the same restrictions in place as Flavah does. And I visit OZZU mostly from work also.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I spent a lot more time working on my own sites in the last 2 years than I did in previous years. Towards the end of last year I stated going to the gym and trying to get into being active again because I was about 50-ish lbs over weight. I picked up enough at Ozzu to get my sites to the point where they run themselves and I started a new away-from-the-computer job a few weeks ago to keep me active. :D

I venture into the programming forum from time to time, and I'll see a thread thinking it's something easy to answer really quick, and then by the time I glance over it I realize it's going to take awhile and I'm just not motivated to dig into it like I used to be.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I brought this issue up ages ago. For me my activity on the site more or less dropped due to a number of factors.

When i registered to the site 6 years ago i was young and interested in learning everything i could on web design, there was a big hype in the industry and everybody wanted to do it. I stuck around and moderated on the site for about 4-5 years and towards the end of 2010 i just completely lost interest. I found that the main reason for me attending here was to do moderator work, it just became incredibly monotonous. Believe it or not, this is the first time i have visited Ozzu since i was removed from the Moderator team at my request early January this year. I didn't actually mean to visit as well, it was just opened up in a tab on a computer i hadn't used in a while.

Like alot of people that used to frequent the site alot, life away from the computer takes priority. I delayed it a bit and over time gradually saw my time on this site drop. Since September i focused my energies on my personal life and i am reaping the benefits as a result.

I hope everyone here is well.
  • IT-Tech
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • IT-Tech

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if you expanded your IT base. I am currently deployed and i am a Network Admin, I encourage my marines with wiity shorcuts for MS OS, Office, CMD, Sharepoint, Xbox Mods, random A+ knowledge and oh course Cisco networking labs and fundamentals. Its not much but the Cisco community is huge, a good blog is always a good thing. Kinda like the experts exchange, where it always has the answer to the random problem you have, but its locked out. I found this site as I was looking for a random fact about inverter chips inside LCD monitors, then saw some easy posts that werent answered and decided to join.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's very quiet around here. I wonder if its also got to do with social media like Facebook etc and the time of being on a forum is not what it used to be. Its true what Brian said about work though, that was when I mostly used to come here.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've logged on a few times over the last couple of weeks and see no content i want to comment on.

There has been news of the Nexus 7 not posted on here (that i can see) and other bits and bobs gone untouched over the last few weeks. I don't mind creating topics, but i've got a few things on nowadays. If anyone does get a moment to throw in a new topic now and then i'll contribute more quite happily.

There may be large amounts of people viewing the site, but these people are not registering or contributing much. I really do think that as a matter of urgency there should be an easier link for logging in and registering in order to take advantage of any passers by.

I'm going away for a weekend break to Sweden (my first holiday since i was in Australia nearly 5 years ago) and then i've got a pretty big course i am taking part in in a couple of weeks. I've got family in hospital and other bits happening. So, please excuse me for not being so active here at the moment. This is hopefully temporary.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lots of plans in the works to completely redo the registration / login areas on Ozzu and to simplify this area as well as reduce the number of steps to become active. That part can be made easier and more efficient.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Lots of plans in the works to completely redo the registration / login areas on Ozzu and to simplify this area as well as reduce the number of steps to become active. That part can be made easier and more efficient.

Good luck. I look forward to see what those changes you have thought of will be. :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me too, should be an exciting change =)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I swear i just saw tumbleweed blow over there.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Joking aside, it is painful seeing the site like this.

I created a topic on the GD forum about Augmented Reality, a subject i thought would excite most people that frequent the site. I started to think nobody was interested, but i think it really comes down to the fact nobody is actually logging on to read about it and/or they are not interested.

I hope there are changes soon.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear ya Craig :(
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think its mostly to do with a change in the way we communicate now. Back in 2003 when I joined Ozzu the forum scene was huge.

Then people moved away from forums to Facebook, Twitter and other "social media" networks to converse.

The other thing is back in 2003 not as many people had their own blogs - now if I search Google for an answer most of the time the answer comes from a persons blog post.

Some of the best traffic I get on my site are for posts I wrote telling other people "how to" do something after I had just finished finding out for myself.

It's the every changing Internet world I guess.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Given this, I'd say it was far from dead!
Quote:
Most users ever online was 3207 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

They were searching maybe for Is Ozzu Dead? LOL!
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am a newbie on this forum but i notices that it is no so active as it was according to the posts and their dates(
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

this place is starting to become a ghost town again :(. The question is are all thoes "Guest" actually people broswing or bots?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:
this place is starting to become a ghost town again :(. The question is are all thoes "Guest" actually people broswing or bots?

i think there are a few people there they can't be all bots, this is a popular site with some great content. There is all ways bots but i would guess 20%-30% at most would be bots. There are just lurkers looking for information and no sign up.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

The majority of the guests are real people, as the ones we detect as bots are classified into another group which I have hidden.

Ozzu does receive quite a bit of traffic, but most people are here to simply find the answers they are looking for, and I believe many do and just do not leave any responses.

As far as this place seeming like a ghost town, it may in fact seem like there is less activity here, especially since a few of our big time posters haven't been around as much.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ozzu will never die!!! :D
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was silent for a couple of years, posted on here earlier this year as a sort-of return, but fell away from it again. I'm back now 'cause I've seen Ozzu pop up on my Facebook feed every now and then!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze, that is good to know that is having some positive effects in reminding people about Ozzu, hopefully you find some of the social media postings entertaining or useful too.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts