Ozzu Premium Membership Idea

  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe OZZU should just have a premium membership addition and offer this (Google Earth Ozzu) as one of the perks there.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think thats a great idea. But what other perks would a premium membership include?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6251
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Maybe OZZU should just have a premium membership addition and offer this as one of the perks there.

I hope I'm correct in assuming that's sarcasm..
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

<blonde comment> It was? </blonde comment>

I know its been discussed before about a premium membership?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Premium members get an autographed photo of Bigwebmaster.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just fell off my chair laughing. Thanks Joe! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9089
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
ATNO/TW wrote:
Maybe OZZU should just have a premium membership addition and offer this as one of the perks there.

I hope I'm correct in assuming that's sarcasm..


Actually its something I am considering. For instance, image attachments has been one thing I have purposely avoided with ozzu because of the increase in bandwidth/costs -- but I think this would be something that would be great to offer premium members. Do you think that is a bad idea? Nothing would be taken away from ozzu, just new perks for those who want them.
  • grinch2171
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6807
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I am going to assume the premium account would come at a monetary cost to us? I'm not a big fan of it but I am sure others would be.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9089
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes most likely that is how it would work.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess it depends on how much it would cost, but I don't mind paying for extra features as I realise these extra features take time to implement.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not base premium accounts on post count? I dont think many people will pay for it.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9089
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Webmaster World (webmasterworld.com) has a premium membership option and from what I hear is very successful. Again if I were to implement something like that on ozzu it would only be for extra features which could cover the costs for image attachments, removing all ads, amongst other things. So the purpose would be to offset server costs, bandwidth costs, domain costs - and to provide another level of benefits to ozzu members who wish to have them.

Basing premium accounts on post counts is an idea, however, that really does not offset any of the increased costs -- plus I can already see members abusing that by making many short pointless posts to get their post counts up for the additional benefits.

For current members everything would be the same, having the premium account option does not change anything. For the members who are interested in additional features and helping to support ozzu, even if that number is small, it would help offset the costs to keep ozzu online and updated.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you could set a Limit to a certain amount of characters in each post, But I guess that would take to long.

Also as for helping with funds, Ozzu has a donate button, I would Donate to ozzu when I get my paypal set back up again.

I am neither for or against the idea, But it seems like a lot of trouble for only a few extra features.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if there were more than a "few extra features"?

Say for example, OZZU put up a tutorials section. Some tutorials could be included for free for all members, but what if a Premium membership would give access to the entire tutorial library, and perhaps video tutorials? I mean I could see the value of a premium membership for that. Many sites do exactly that. I've often thought of doing video tutorials for OZZU, but it's time consuming and like Bigweb said consumes extra bandwidth - time and money.

The revenue from premium memberships could help OZZU have added features that people have asked for and seem to want like that, but are not very profitable to implement.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9089
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am hoping to add more than a few extra features. These are ideas I have so far, I welcome criticism and other ideas that could be included:

  • Customize your profile title (2500 post requirement waived)
  • Access to premium membership forum (more relaxed atmosphere, tighter community)
  • Access to buy/sell/trade forum
  • Can post job opportunities (100 post requirement waived -- if post count restriction goes in effect)
  • Completely Ad free (all of ozzu ads removed) -- if you want them off
  • 20% off of all templates sold at ozzu.com/webtemplates
  • 5 months free hosting at unflux.net with 1 year contract paid upfront (pay for 1 year and get 5 months free) -- same deal every year if you renew ozzu membership
  • Free guestbook script from (guestbook.bigwebmaster.com) - registered version with no ads
  • Username title on threads will be a special color (like gold) to indicate you are a supporting premium ozzu member (optional)
  • Larger private message storage (2000 messages vs 1000)
  • Larger avatar disk size (15KB vs 7KB)
  • A link to your profile on this page: http://www.ozzu.com/ozzu_supporters.html
  • Articles/tutorials written by the owner of ozzu on a variety of topics (possible, depending on support)
  • 10 MB of space on ozzu for html, pictures, and text files.
  • Ability to attach files to posts
  • User Instant Messenger (with other ozzu members online)
  • Print topics
  • Friends/Foe List
  • Address Book
  • Additional PM Folders
  • Disable word censoring
  • Can use [FLASH] BBCode
  • Ability to bump topics without posting
  • Save Post Drafts
  • Google Earth Ozzu



Remember these are all just ideas, nothing is concrete. Some of these options may just go for all the users too depending on what I figure out.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

A long time ago here on ozzu, was there not an issue with html? Well you could let premium users use HTML as they would be paying to use it.

Then I have to ask, Woud you accept payments Via Credit / Debit card, as not everyone has Paypal.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I am hoping to add more than a few extra features. These are ideas I have so far, I welcome criticism and other ideas that could be included:

  • Customize your profile title (2500 post requirement waived)
  • Access to premium membership forum (more relaxed atmosphere, tighter community)
  • Access to buy/sell/trade forum
  • Can post job opportunities (100 post requirement waived -- if post count restriction goes in effect)
  • Completely Ad free (all of ozzu ads removed) -- if you want them off
  • 20% off of all templates sold at ozzu.com/webtemplates
  • 5 months free hosting at unflux.net with 1 year contract paid upfront (pay for 1 year and get 5 months free) -- same deal every year if you renew ozzu membership
  • Free guestbook script from (guestbook.bigwebmaster.com) - registered version with no ads
  • Username title on threads will be a special color (like gold) to indicate you are a supporting premium ozzu member (optional)
  • Larger private message storage (2000 messages vs 1000)
  • Larger avatar disk size (15KB vs 7KB)
  • A link to your profile on this page: http://www.ozzu.com/ozzu_supporters.html
  • Articles/tutorials written by the owner of ozzu on a variety of topics (possible, depending on support)
  • 10 MB of space on ozzu for html, pictures, and text files.
  • Ability to attach files to posts
  • User Instant Messenger (with other ozzu members online)
  • Print topics
  • Friends/Foe List
  • Address Book
  • Additional PM Folders
  • Disable word censoring
  • Can use [FLASH] BBCode
  • Ability to bump topics without posting
  • Save Post Drafts
  • Google Earth Ozzu


Remember these are all just ideas, nothing is concrete. Some of these options may just go for all the users too depending on what I figure out.


you know I'm all for this. Image
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Disable word censoring

so no more peaches and plums? :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9089
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

celandine wrote:
Quote:
Disable word censoring

so no more peaches and plums? :D


Yeah I don't know, that could be a bad thing.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9089
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
A long time ago here on ozzu, was there not an issue with html? Well you could let premium users use HTML as they would be paying to use it.


Still do not know on this one as having the HTML enabled, even for some users, causes security issues for the rest of the members. All it takes is one bad egg and a malicious coder could figure out ways to obtain private information. Besides, I believe PHPBB is taking out the html support because of all the problems and just sticking with BBCode.

penguin wrote:
Then I have to ask, Woud you accept payments Via Credit / Debit card, as not everyone has Paypal.


I used to accept payments for other services directly via Credit / Debit card, there is just alot of risk and fees associated with doing that. Most likely I would accept other methods of Payment besides Paypal, such as Moneybookers, Neteller, and others so that the 3rd parties manage the risk.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6251
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, so my first impression of this was way off-base. After reading through this topic and BWM's list of ideas, this actually sounds like a pretty good idea.
penguin wrote:
Then I have to ask, Woud you accept payments Via Credit / Debit card, as not everyone has Paypal.

You can pay with a credit card using PayPal even if you don't have a PayPal account.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2008
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it sounds like a good idea to me, although I'd leave the censoring in place. what's the point of allowing some people to swear because they paid for the privilege? bad morals. (I swear, personally - too much maybe - and this place is helping me curb the habit :D ) all the other ideas sound swell.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2305
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the idea. What about cost?

Monthy?
Yearly?
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was going to be my question :P Would you except postal orders?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 9089
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything is up for debate, so many of your questions are things I am only thinking about. I was thinking of doing 1 year and 6 months memberships to keep the administrative tasks down, however, that would require members to pay larger amounts which might not be good for some. While monthly memberships might be harder for billing, it might be better for some members of the board.

So with that said what I will probably do is end up having monthly, 6 month, and yearly memberships -- with discounts for the longer terms so that there is more of an incentive to go with those.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds good to me, And i forgot that I can use debit cards even iff i dont have paypal :P

Also Not many forums have this in place, So it would make Ozzu stand out a lot more.

But then have you thought that you could hold competitions for free premium accounts?

Also would you not have to decide that iff an account gets banned from the forum what do you do about the payments they made? And would there be a new ban system but in place?

Example: premium account gets demoted, Then a complete Ban.

Normal users get complete ban?
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt people are going to fork out money then act like complete jackasses to get banned, Ozzu has a pretty good system in place for that kind of thing anyway, and getting banned is really hard.

I am all for it, the features sound great, I say go for it Brian.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1647
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
I doubt people are going to fork out money then act like complete jackasses to get banned, Ozzu has a pretty good system in place for that kind of thing anyway, and getting banned is really hard.

I am all for it, the features sound great, I say go for it Brian.


Thats not to say that people wont do it, One day someone Might do just that, And these things need to be thought about.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2123

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess, if I were Bigweb, and running a membership site and someone was to be banned, who was a premium member, I would make it so, they know if they ARE banned that the forfeit their membership fee. To me I think that would deter people from acting in a way that will get them banned.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
You can pay with a credit card using PayPal even if you don't have a PayPal account.

It's amazing to me how many people don't realize this. Paypal is a CC processor just like anything else you could use otherwise.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 66 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.