Ozzu Skin

• Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
I found this site on Google. I'm planning on starting up a forum soon, and I'm looking into what software to use and what theme to use, etc.
When I found this website, I was amazed at what has been done for the theme. It's so clean and simple. I assume a lot of modifications to the phpBB software have been used too.

So my question is, is the skin on this website available to download and is it free, or at a price? If not, any modifications used (such as the nice sidebar, things like that) would be nice to know of.

Thanks!!

PS: Sorry If this has been asked before. I've done a search and could only find a thread from 2005 which seemed to be for a different skin.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ozzu's phpbb3 theme is a highly customized theme designed by OZZU site owner, Bigwebmaster. I can tell you it is one of a kind and that it is not available to download.

Fact is, it is really so specific to OZZU that I doubt making it available for download would even be practical for most forums, although I'm sure he'll provide a specific answer to this himself when he sees this post.

Here is some more info about Bigwebmaster in case you haven't seen it yet.

introduce-yourself/introducing-bigwebmaster-t96382.html
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am glad you like the theme! That is my goal with the skin, to make things as simple and clean as possible. It is an ongoing project for me and I still have things planned for the future as far as continued changes with the design. I have actually been working on a new design change that I hope I will be going live with soon, and it helps to simplify that menu on the right. Only a few people know the details about that.

The skin was created by me so you will not find it anywhere else for download unfortunately. One reason I created a custom skin besides wanting it to be something simple, was to make sure Ozzu wasn't just another phpbb website using a theme that everyone else had access to. Before Ozzu had this theme it was using a theme called "smartDark" which was something available to anybody who wanted it for thier phpbb forum.

Ozzu has approximately 90 additional modifications installed on top of the default phpbb3 installation. Some of the modifications are the ones freely available to others, while many of the modifications are custom things I did myself since I could not find anything available. An example of a modification freely available to anybody is the "quick reply" area. It is called "Evil Quick Reply" and you can obtain that here:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... ib_id=2921

An example of a modification I wrote myself is the email bounce checking system. What happens is that if someone registers and the email bounces the users is automatically deleted from the system. Secondly if a user email bounces who has been around for a long time with zero posts that user is deleted. Third, if a user has posts and an email bounces from their account then their account gets a "bounce" status set on their account so that when they login it warns them that their email needs updating. The reason I do any of this is about once a month I send out a mass PM to the users on the board and its important to have a clean list. If you do not constantly clean your email list then big email providers such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, Gmail, etc will start blocking all of your emails because they think you are simply spamming to random names. It is important that the majority of emails that get sent out are going to real currently valid emails. Anyway I wasn't able to find a modification like that so I wrote a system myself to automatically take care of all of that.

If you do not have the time to create a custom theme yourself and you do end up going with one of the freely available themes, for the most part it wouldn't be that hard to put a sidebar menu on any of them. Just takes a little HTML coding and understanding how the phpBB variable system works to do something like that.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
An example of a modification I wrote myself is the email bounce checking system. What happens is that if someone registers and the email bounces the users is automatically deleted from the system. Secondly if a user email bounces who has been around for a long time with zero posts that user is deleted. Third, if a user has posts and an email bounces from their account then their account gets a "bounce" status set on their account so that when they login it warns them that their email needs updating. The reason I do any of this is about once a month I send out a mass PM to the users on the board and its important to have a clean list. If you do not constantly clean your email list then big email providers such as Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, Gmail, etc will start blocking all of your emails because they think you are simply spamming to random names. It is important that the majority of emails that get sent out are going to real currently valid emails. Anyway I wasn't able to find a modification like that so I wrote a system myself to automatically take care of all of that.
Are you willing to share that mod? :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts