Ozzu....Something (we can think of a name later...)

• dispector
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dispector

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just thinking, trying to come up with random website ideas (as usual) in order to

a. Have something to do
And
b. Maybe bring in a penny or two :)

Here’s the idea, and I'm putting this thread in the suggestions forum because it related directly to Ozzu.

What if we had a more traditional website part of Ozzu where the pages upon pages of member submitted advice could be arranged into categories that would be more easily accessible?

I mean people come to Ozzu for a reason right? That have problems dealing with anything and everything related to computers. Now problems are almost never unique to just one person, everyone has problems. If we can categorize all of the questions and answers on this forum into a well organized FAQ (with mulitple sections, etc. and maybe with maybe full-blow tutorials where appropriate) I think the site could become a HUGE resource for webmasters and computer enthusiasts everywhere.

We could credit all of the members who provided the answers to the forum questions too. Some of the more active members could even come aboard as staff members who write tutorials about anything they wish for the site.

If this idea were ever put into motion I would LOVE to be apart of it (PLEASE!)! I would do everything I could, and hopefully with the help of some of the members here we could make this happen.

(I realize this may be similar to bigwebby's own site, but I think this may even become a much larger resource, with tutorials exclusive to this site.)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Technically, everything *is* easily accessible. The "pages" as they exist are indexed by google; we receive new members every day who discovered an answer to their specific question via google, to Ozzu.

So I am not sure of the 'value-add' of converging the data into yet another index-able static site.

Now a book. I could get behind publishing a "Webmaster, How-to" guide. ;)
  • dispector
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dispector

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you mean, the threads are indexed through google. However some of the topics take pages to reach a solution and some of the answers are written assuming that the reader has some sort of knowlege on the topic.

Maybe it wasnt such a good idea. Oh well.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it's not a bad idea. In my mind, we have already discussed and are still entertaining the idea of a "tutorial" section, which, although a bit different, comes close to what you have in mind. Essentially, we are waiting on a future revision of phpBB before that would be logistically posiible for us to do. There are several posts on "tutorials" in the suggestion board already where you can read about it.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not a bad idea at all, actually it's a GREAT idea and me and alot of other people would like to see something happening, believe me :wink:
A tutorial section would be THE option for avoiding all these useless searches that result in like X amount of pages that you need to browse through for trying to get a answer on a specific dillemma, and even worse sometimes your question is not fully answered in one thread so you need to browse to different topics for trying to get a picture how the approach would be for getting the result your after.

A tutorial section in the form of various topics explaining how certain website features are explained and how to implement on a site in progress.
Also a tutorial request section would be a nice addition to this 8)

It would definitely make ozzu a even better place to learn from each other and giving out a helping hand to beginning webmasters.
Not to mention the growth of popularity by atracting more visitors.

In my oppinion it would be a mistake to ignore this idea because of the potential of it to make ozzu a even better place to retrieve knowledge from.

Tutorials on different kind of topics would be great, it would also be nice to hold a poll on the kind of tutorials that people would like to see coming.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

:roll: but Ozzu IS one big catchment of tutorials, you just have to be creative and use the search button.

Its just not in the format of a traditional tutorial (ie the whole question and answer is in one post)

:D
  • xatrixx
  • xatrixx
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think that ozzu is great there is some small things but for me it semms very very creative and spuer desingned
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

the problem with the search feature is when you type in... uh.. Modem problem.. you end up with about 200 pages of results.. witch isnt the thing you want to see... and knowing how long that will take to look through every topic can be frustrating...

but i know that this happens because this is a GIANT forum..

But i belive the tutorial forum would be good.. also if it is possible add like sub sections so you could have tutorials catagorized by different programs so it would be like

Tutorials... Click

brings you to a page that has

Photoshop
Flash mx 2004 ect
fireworks
others...ect
..ect

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts