Page loading problem.

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the past 5 months, I have problems loading Ozzu's site. It either goes offline after 5 minutes, or never able to log in at all. Not happening to all other sites. Has Ozzu implemented new security server?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't noticed anything, has anybody else been having connections issues to Ozzu? When you say it goes offline is the server completely timing out for you?

Is it possible that the other sites you are visiting George are located on servers closer to your location? Where are you located right now? Have you moved or anything? I have a feeling the problem is somewhere between your location and the servers that are out of my control if other websites are working for you.

Ozzu's servers are located in Texas, USA.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mean like this after a while. Or it straight goes to this error page when I first visited it. I am in Malaysia. No, never shifted for 5 years. My guess goes to your server in Texas, that declines most connection from Asian server(s) connection. I am currently using a different means.
Attachments:
er1.jpg
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Been smooth as a baby's behind for months for me. Looks like George is still in "sinister passage" wherever that is...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Feel sorry for someone who is not proud of his country. (Me ==> George L.). "He has to hide it"
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tested Stanford university website, it works fine. I think its server is somewhere in California?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had no issues in months or Mark (and likely other members, since nobody has reported anything) indicates that the problem isn't the server and most likely the route to the server. Whenever you request a page on the internet the request likely goes through numerous servers/routers/gateways/etc, maybe even up to 20 or 30 hops depending on your distance from the server. If anything in that chain disrupts your request it will look like our server is having issues. Unless you have a specific error message from the ozzu server (which I think you just have timeouts), I would guess its somewhere between your connection and the server's location and probably instead of being your fault or ozzu's. Next time it happens maybe do a traceroute to ozzu.com. That could indicate where its being disrupted as it will show you all the hops to ozzu and if any are timing out or having issues. Malaysia is a long ways from Texas so there are likely many hops is my guess which could also explain the problem you are having if there is one weak link in the chain.

We are not blocking any large ip blocks from Asia.

I would be curious the results of a traceroute from your location.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Brian, I will try a traceroute later. I am not at home now.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It has been working like a charm today. The surfing here is smooth like never been before. I have no idea what has been done. However, I am still thinking that if that happens again with continuation, I will traceroute. Because what has been said earlier did not just happen in a day. Reported as it was. (about 3 - 5 months).
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting, if it does happen please do a traceroute and let us know the results.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a really cool map of the worlds undersea Internet cables that I picked up when boats kept tearing up the cables a year or so ago.

Attachments:
SeaCableHi.jpg

The Worlds undersea cables

Considering Chinas' Great Firewall and all of the destruction going on in the middle-east, it looks like Malaysia is really stuck between Iraq and a hard place as far as the Internet goes.

I'm no network guy, but it looks like there's just a break in the "Excuse me, but can you tell me how to get to Ozzu?" chain in the DNS lookup to me.

Isn't Ozzu on a dedicated IP address ?

What if George added an entry in his hosts file relating Ozzus' domain name to the IP address ?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes ozzu is on a dedicated IP address and it usually only changes every few years or so if switching to new servers.

That is a really interesting map by the way.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is an interesting map. If I'm not mistaken many of those are under major shipping routes.

http://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ ... ssages.pdf
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great map. If I add an entry to my hosts file, that will help or it actually hinders it? Have not touched it since 2 months or plus I had to block some websites.

About anyone else facing this situation, they may just reply here when they see this thread. I guess maybe Zhouyi is facing this? Have not seen her in Ozzu for a while.

Thanks for mentioning, Joe, that I am in Malaysia now.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding the entry to your hosts file will not hinder anything. It is only used for DNS resolution. By having it there basically when you goto http://www.ozzu.com it will just look up the ip address in your hosts file versus querying the dns name server on our server for the ip address.

There is no hurt in trying it. If for some reason in the future ozzu never works it could be that our ip address has changed and you could try and remove that from your hosts file. Just keep that in mind.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it safe to post all the ip address here? The first is my local ip. Second and third follow with Malaysia's top ISP provider ip which is called TMNet, which is something like this: I am not sure about hop number 4 and 5. Ah, forgot to mention that yes, you are right; my connection to Ozzu now is not working.
Attachments:
ozzu-traceroute1.png

Not exactly sure about the no.4 and 5 hop. Seems to me there are not too many hops? By the way, Brian I have read your last post, thanks I will look into that later.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just looked up the last working IP address there:

and that is still located in Malaysia. For some reason the hop is stopping there (haven't even left your country yet):

Quote:
58.27.105.62 - Whois Information
% [whois.apnic.net node-2]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 58.27.100.0 - 58.27.127.255
netname: INFRA-TMNET
descr: TMNET
admin-c: TA35-AP
tech-c: TA35-AP
changed: fuwaizah@tm.net.my 20070907
mnt-by: TM-NET-AP
source: APNIC

route: 58.27.64.0/18
descr: TMnet route object
origin: AS4788
changed: roshime@tm.com.my 20090220

role: TMNET IP Administrators
address: TM Annexe 1,
address: Jalan Pantai Baru,
address: 50672 Kuala Lumpur.
phone: +6-1800-88-2646
phone: +603-83185434
fax-no: +603-22402126
trouble: dnsadm@tmnet.com.my
e-mail: ipno@tm.net.my
trouble: tm_osc@tmnet.com.my [TMDirect]
trouble: ssc@tmnet.com.my [Streamyx]
trouble: abuse@tm.net.my
admin-c: AS115-AP
tech-c: SM135-AP
nic-hdl: TA35-AP
changed: hm-changed@apnic.net 20070209

If nothing else is working past that IP, it seems that would be the problem area. I would suggest contacting your ISP and telling them about your problem and tell them about your traceroute and see if they can advise you what you can do. Or maybe try and contact one of the contacts on that whois to see if they can provide you with any more info.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would also be curious of a full traceroute when ozzu is working properly for you. That could give you an idea how many hops there really are and might show if you are taking a different route that isn't passing through the affected bad hop when its working right.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure, let it be tomorrow. Usually, when it is not working then it will not work whole night. I will post up when it is connected to Ozzu, so that I too am curious how many hops there are, we will see. Thank you.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

This morning, I have captured a screenshot while connecting to Ozzu was working. The traceroute result is shown as below:
Attachments:
ozzu-connected.png
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I think that is where the problem is, between 58.27.105.62 and 12.118.124.93

In your other post when it wasn't working it didn't make it past 58.27.105.62. The interesting part is that the next hop (12.118.124.93) according to an ip whois is located in:

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Run by AT&T

So that means when it isn't working that either the hop at Malaysia (58.27.124.93) is blocking any requests over to California (12.118.124.93) or the hop at California is blocking Malaysia (58.27.124.93). Either that or there is a problem along that route, or maybe they are working on things.

I think under ideal situations ozzu would have multiple servers throughout the world, some over here and some across seas so that members such as yourself would connect to a server much closer avoiding this problem alltogether.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So that means when it isn't working that either the hop at Malaysia (58.27.124.93) is blocking any requests over to California (12.118.124.93) or the hop at California is blocking Malaysia (58.27.124.93). Either that or there is a problem along that route, or maybe they are working on things.

Wow, that's a pretty large hop to gap. Could easily be interference or packet dropping, couldn't it? Lots of distance to cover with no repeater to help along.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

While it is not working on Ozzu. It works with Stanford.edu

Is that an appropriate benchmark?

Remember last I checked on the same website. It worked for them. (Stanford)

Not only them, probably most other websites are working correctly. This is one of the reasons I have been off for some time visiting Ozzu; due to slow loading and I always thought (for a few months) that maybe you have upgraded your server location or something like that. Yes, the connection to Ozzu is completely offline, now. Here is the traceroute result for Stanford.edu
Attachments:
stanford-working-fine.png

And yes, I just did this. And I suppose Ozzu is not working for me now, I do not need to traceroute again. It should be similar to the first picture I have posted.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The connection dies after 58.27.105.62

Just did the traceroute for Ozzu.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

One major thing I am noticing on the tracert is that the route is much different. It is not going through the problem IPs of 58.27.105.62 and 12.118.124.93 and thus that is probably why its working fine for you.

You may want to look into IP Routing. I have very little knowledge on this, but maybe someone else here does. I have no idea, but if there was a way you could specify the route maybe you can enter an alternate route that avoids those two IPs. This might not even be possible, I don't know.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am fine, Brian. I will see if there is anything I can work on.

:)

I am fine, Thank you.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried viewing Ozzu via a proxy? If you can find one with a decent traceroute between you and it, you would essentially let the proxy's location work out the route and thereby skip the problematic machines.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is how I am posting now.

But it is not exactly solving a problem.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Further analyzing this issue, I have also found out that; most of the time when it is not working, it is at night in Malaysia. In the morning, it works (connection to Ozzu).

1) It could be during the night, Malaysia's - the hop 58.27.105.62 needs to repair something?

2) It could also be during the morning in the US, the hop 12.118.124.93 needs to repair something..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like at least a couple others have had a similar problem
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=12.118.1 ... x3zSOf0XOU

Just now I pinged 58.27.105.62 and it was up and fine with good resonse - time = 320ms ttl=52 but 12.118.124.93 timed out on every request.

I didn't actually go and read these results, but a cursory glance looks like there may be some issues with AT&T's backbone
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&n ... sGnL70rVz4

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 35 posts