Perhaps "AoI: Web Reviewing"?

• Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just my thoughts:
Any chance of there being a "AoI: Web Reviewing" group?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would they do ?

I can see cross checking domains & researching every little tidbit if information requesters post, seeing if they're maybe spammers trying to "resurface", other than that I'm kinda stumped though. :scratchhead:
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, maybe help and give 613flavah a bit of a breether with all these people who don't post 3 reviews first :P (nice work so far flavah! :D). Also try help enforce rules: such as not copying people's reviews and slightly altering it. Stopping people from posting bad reviews - eg: "I think it was good" (and thats all for their review). etc

What do you think?
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds interesting, have you asked 613flavah about this directly ?
I believe she's in charge in that section of the woods, maybe she can give you somthing to do. ;)
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm.. haven't asked her or talked to her in a long while.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can something be done about this forum? It's a free-for-all in there.
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ulstermonkey wrote:

Use that "Report Post" button Image

Tell your friends to use it too.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
ulstermonkey wrote:

Use that "Report Post" button Image

Tell your friends to use it too.

I used the aforementioned Image twice this morning on the same post and nothing has as yet been done about it :wink:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reasn for that is ultimately the decision to do anything about it is up to the mod who responds to the report.

Just for the record it wasn't me. Apparently the mod who responded felt nothing needed to be done.
  • joebert
  • Sledgehammer
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's because you're a crybaby & nobody wants to hear you whine.

But being serious now,
posts can only have one open report at a time.

Either your report looked like someone being a crybaby & the moderator didn't waste their time checking it out, or there was genuinely nothing wrong with the post.

Keep reporting the post, eventually a different moderator will look at it & maybe give you a different answer, or someone will message you with an explaination.

somthing will happen, just keep going through the proper channels knucklehead ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ulstermonkey wrote:

I used the aforementioned Image twice this morning on the same post and nothing has as yet been done about it :wink:

Which post are you refering to? I saw one you reported that needed to be merged. When I looked at it it looked like it had, so I closed the report.
If it's not fixed report it again.

For everyone else, the primary problem with that forum is that a lot of regular members that have the knowledge and sklls to provide really good feedback don't. As a result, all that remains is feedback from the new people that are rushing to get their three posts in so they can get their site reviewed. Hence the bad far outways the good. If you are unhappy with the way it is, then get in there and participate and make it something that is worthwhile and beneficial to the newbs. Perhaps some would then follow suit.

Flavah is there more visibly because it's one of her assigned forums and she checks it regularly. But she is not the only one who moderates it. Some of you may miss what does get done in there because you aren't around as much as some of the mods. I check it regularly but seldom have the time to post. I do give feedback as often as I can, and I don't hold any punches when I do. Some may or may not like it, but if I don't like something I'm going to say it, usually point blank and blunt.

For the record, we on staff do our absolute best to monitor the quality of the reviews new posters make. Sometimes we miss a few, but we get a bulk of them.

I can tell you I personally removed about 10 spam posts from reviews throughout the day today. Most of you guys never see the spam posts because we frequently catch them within minutes of being posted.

The other thing you may not know is we have a private board for the mods where we discuss questionable posts. Sometimes what may look like no action on our part is because we simply haven't decided what to do about it. You have no idea how many times some members have been discussed in the past. Good and bad.

But for the record, our mod staff is absolutely the best staff I have ever seen, and I have worked with probably over a couple dozen moderators at other boards moderating as many as 50 forums. Nobody can touch this crew. They simply rock!

We do listen to suggestions and we all know the reviews forum is not quite what we'd like it to be. But if more of our great regulars would just get in there and participate, it would make a huge difference to that forums quality, and then perhaps more people would be more willing and interested in reviewing posts.

It's a building process. Just because people ignore it doesn't mean it's going to go away.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only problem when I post a review in there is that I take about maybe 6 minutes at least writing out a list of things that they can do to improve, and feedback on how it was, etc. The problem though is that people always seem to copy almost exactly what I posted, change it a bit and post it, just so they can have 3 posts - to be able to submit their own site.

I think the rules of that specific forum need to be enforced stronger on that "Web Reviewing Rules" page.

Back on topic now! xD
I'll have a chat with 613flavah and see what she thinks of the idea :)
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Either your report looked like someone being a crybaby & the moderator didn't waste their time checking it out, or there was genuinely nothing wrong with the post.

Nay to both. I not only outlined the rule broken, but even posted links to the offending/relevant threads.

joebert wrote:
But being serious now.

The words apparent and contradiction come to mind when I think about you ever being serious. :P

joebert wrote:
just keep going through the proper channels knucklehead ;)

First of all, explain to me how I did not go through the proper channels. I'll assume 'knucklehead' was an indirect reference to yourself. :wink:

ATNO/TW wrote:
Flavah is there more visibly because it's one of her assigned forums and she checks it regularly. But she is not the only one who moderates it. Some of you may miss what does get done in there because you aren't around as much as some of the mods.

I have been there more often than most :| I know Flavah does what she can when she gets around to it, but there are often long periods where posts violating the rules be left in there to do as they will.

ATNO/TW wrote:
It's a building process. Just because people ignore it doesn't mean it's going to go away.

I think at some point you are going to have to nix that idea - that reasoning is getting a little old.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ulstermonkey wrote:

ATNO/TW wrote:

I think at some point you are going to have to nix that idea - that reasoning is getting a little old.

What would you suggest be done about it?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say scrap the website reviews forum, but then i hardly ever go in there, So really i couldn't care less (same with posting games). From what i have seen of it though it doesn't really offer much, It tends to be posted in by people not wanting a review but wanting traffic to thier site, It's just regulated spamming. You can spam as long as you comment on 3 other spams first..

So on that basis i feel that even if i were to review a site it would be wasted and falling on deaf ears, Because a review isn't really what posters are looking for.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
ulstermonkey wrote:

ATNO/TW wrote:

What would you suggest be done about it?

If it were to stay around and serve the purpose it is there for, fairly, it simply needs more moderation. That could mean one of several things. One or more current mods cold make a concerted effort to visit by there more often to keep on top of it.

This may mean more moderators if the time isn't there for the current crop to do it OR another option might be to have an 'AoI: Reviewing' group, who have the one added permission to lock threads in that category that have violated one or more of the rules.

I don't agree with what meman suggests. I believe I explained it in another thread somewhere the value this category has given myself and others.

Another option might be to have a minimum required post count or minimum required membership time before someone is allowed to post there. Chances are if someone is here only to post in that forum (and some are) if there was a wait time of say 1 month before you could post in there, chances are this person will buzz off somewhere else for a review and forget all about Ozzu's Website Reviews forum.

I just think we're at a juncture with this category where the 'wait and see' and 'lead by example' approaches can be seen to be not working?

If I think of more I'll post it here...
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Another option might be to have a minimum required post count or minimum required membership time before someone is allowed to post there.

A quick fix is minimum 3 post count required to start a topic. since you would of had to post a minimum of 3 times for your reveiws anyways. That would stop the crew that joins up and spams on their very first post
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well personally I think there should be a post limit to beable to request reviews. It saves crap being posted in there and lets face it, the ones who just join to post the 3 reviews, then request a review, and never return may as well be classed as spammers. It takes about a minute to post a bunch of crap about a site, to make it look like they have actually had a look, so what 3 minutes in total? Then they post a review and they get several hits, mission accomplished.

I really think access should be restricted to those who can not be bothered helping anyone else in any other forum, and until they do, they shouldn't be allowed to post a review. I know it might sound harsh, but Ozzu, should BE commited to webmasters helping webmasters with genuine intentions of providing something to this community. Not just some a**hole, who wants to "spam" their site, and waste a bunch of peoples time..

Atno, there have been countless times where I have seen you post, "can't people read the rules around here" restricting people like that, would help this place alot I believe. And it would also free up the time of the Super mods and Mods, letting them actually focus on something else besides deleting/locking posts.

Maybe I am way off topic, but I felt I needed to voice my opinion.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nicely said Benat. Infact, I totally agree with all that you said. But the desicion really lies in BWM's hands, because of course it'll be "him" who will have to make or find the nessisary mod for the forum. Just an addition while we're on this topic, that maybe a 10 post minimum in the other areas and 5 post minimum in the web reviewing section?

That might discourage all those annoying spammers. But who knows? I certainly don't...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts