Poll choices and voting. A better way?

• bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Disclaimer: I don't know the first thing about phpBB (or PHP, for that matter), so forgive me if this is too ludicrous to even consider. =]

Okay so I just searched this forum for the word "poll," and after skimming one of the threads I have learned that modifying the poll script phpBB provides is a colossal chore no Ozzu mod has the time/inclination to endeavour.

That said, I have voted in a few of our polls here, and I'm frequently left going "eenie meenie minie mo..." when there are two or more options that are equally relevant/appealing. I was wondering if there might be a better way? Rather than modifying the script, would it be feasible to replace it completely if a better solution is found? Something like the Borda count, for example?

Thanks for reading,
Gita

Edit: Wah, I want my ellipsis (...) back! The topic of this message originally contained one. =[
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no perfect voting method. (I don't mean this figuratively.) People will game the system with the Borda method -- if there are two obvious standouts in a contest, people will rate their choice highest and the second-best dead last. This can cause the third-best entry to win.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed. The poll system works just fine (codewise). The problem stems from members having a bit of shortsightedness and not understanding research and logic. Hence the poll "development" and questions are often flawed and lack all possible choices. I was fortunate enough to pass my college research course and logic course with an A, but now and then I even forget to include potential options in a poll. Research is a science, not a whim. Altering the code won't address the root cause.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:

Edit: Wah, I want my ellipsis (...) back! The topic of this message originally contained one. =[

This was addressed. As noted in the Announcements board Bigweb nixed multiple punctuation in Subject lines, but then later fixed it so that posts could contain them. I believe that post addressing the issue is here in the suggestions board.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Okey-dokey. My motive was, of course, purely selfish. I don't mind assigning rank to options, I just don't like being able to pick just one. =]

2. That's what I thought, as I remember that thread. But when I started this thread, my ellipsis in the subject was turned into a fullstop. Hence, whining ensued. =]

- Gita

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts