Post Pop-Ups

• Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know the pop-up that happens when you get a PM? Well a pop-up like that shoul happen when a post get's made in a topic you're watching.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be one heck of a mod to write. Not sure how much you know about the phpBB code, but that would take some serious effort. I guess the primary problem would be is what would happen if you are "watching" 50 topics? Do you really want that many pop-ups?
  • Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it could be an option that you can check off if you want it to happen. I don't know, it would be more practical than to have to clickthe inbox link every now and then. Couldn't you just switch the code from "send an email" to "make a pop up"? Maybe it's not that simple, i don't know anything about PHP
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see what you aresaying. So instead of an email message, you would prefer a PM? I'm sure that could be done if it hasn't already been, but take me for example. I've never used that option ever. I figure my email and/or PM's would be spammed to death with people that posted in reply to topics I watched. The limiting factor here is that there is a space limit on the size of your inbox. If you had, say ten topics you were "watching" then within the space of a day or two your inbox would already be full, and you would be deleting things right and left. I think this would cause more problems than it would solve.
  • Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatever.... anyways, its just an idea.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sulfin wrote:
whatever.... anyways, its just an idea.

I know, but given the size of OZZU, I don't believe that would be practical to even consider. Be assured we appreciate the idea.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the idea but like ATNO/TW said there are way to many posts per day to have that
maybe if there were some one pm per topic ex:
if you are watching 5 topics and there is a post in topic one then you get a pm then in topic one another post was made but set it up to only send pm's so it only shows up once line a new post
do you get waht i am saying?
  • Zyros
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

This would be difficult for phpbb.
Remembering phpbb is mostly all database driven if you get me?

This idea is possible, but i doubt someone would take time to create something this time consuming when theres a 50/50 chance of people wanting it because they dont want there inbox clutterd.

To solve this, if you wanna know when someones posted in ya topic. Be very active :)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am glad this idea isnt going to go ahead.

I can understand the logic in the suggestion but personally it would cause more problems than its worth.

I have any emails going to my hotmail account which i can access through Outlook Express which i have set to go search for new mail every minute. This is pretty good especially as i am online most of the day (through work) so i can sift through the emails i dont want ever minute or so. It would be a major headache to have an email saying i have a new PM message and about 10 messages in my inbox on Ozzu when it is just as good checking it online.

I suggest, if you dont already have this, using Outlook Express. If i am correct in thinking, this comes with any Microsoft Windows system you might have.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would also require you to be visiting ozzu at the time to recieve the popup.
where as the email notification is sent and recieved wheather you are on the site or not.

Most people have some kind of email alert program and get alerted when they recieve an email notifying them of a reply.
  • jumungo4
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it would be a good idea to only receive a pop-up if u are online at the time of the reply other wise you will get an email.
  • Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats what im thinking
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

this would be extremely hard to code in phpbb. As mentioned above, it is mainly database driven. I dont even know if it would be possible to code this. ATNO has much more expierence with this.

poly

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts