Problem solving Points.

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about a points system for solving people problems on the board? Kind of like *cough, cough* Experts-Exchange.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this idea. Too often threads get cluttered with people not actually contributing anything to a person's request. I've seen this work well other places, not just EE.
Can provide examples if required, but thought it better not to advertise other forums on Ozzu. ;)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would be done with said points? There's really no point in it (no pun intended) unless they're worth something.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've grown to be quite fond of the reputation system Vbullitin has. Not soo much the level indicators that are usually shown in posts, what I like is the area in your profile/members-page where you can read comments about posts you've made that people can leave anonymously.

I'm not shy about leaving my opinion, but I used to be so I know how it is.
I enjoy getting feedback, even if I don't know who it's from.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the reputation system too ... maybe something like that so people know if the person is trustworthy or not, no rewards ... sorta ... kinda ... I don't know ...
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the idea a lot. even if the points wouldn't be worth anything material. I think a lot of people would feel good just to see their contributions recognised, and it would certainly be useful to those receiving advice to have a way of judging how valid that advice is.....
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the idea also.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

so would you get a PSP everytime someone votes for you on a reply that you posted? ... hmmmm ...
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just thinking, this could be a good idea idea also for website reviews. I know alot of people get tired of spammers in there, so I thought perhaps there could be some way to make it so a user has to have a certain amount of reputation points before they can ask for a review?
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
I was just thinking, this could be a good idea idea also for website reviews. I know alot of people get tired of spammers in there, so I thought perhaps there could be some way to make it so a user has to have a certain amount of reputation points before they can ask for a review?

Actually, I think that would work a treat :D
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's why I don't give reviews any more ... I hate that BS ... I know I give good reviews but I just hate getting an email reply and then seeing some one-liner someone just put in there to have their own site for review ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

For website reviews, instead of points, perhaps the person who started the thread can "accept" or "reject" a review of their own site, thus ensuring that someone can only ask for a website review once they've made three "accepted" reviews. Not only would this lighten the load on the moderators, but it would also help give new members an idea, by example, of what an acceptable review is.

Granted, I'm sure an unwanted side effect of this would entail members rejecting reviews just because they contain criticism that they don't want to hear, but overall I think it could work.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well by accepting reviews the reviewer would kinda be earning good reputation points, so its basically the same thing as I suggested?
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It could be set up so that points are awarded by users who have a certain number of points themselves, rather than just the reviewed.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
Well by accepting reviews the reviewer would kinda be earning good reputation points, so its basically the same thing as I suggested?

...true.
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
For website reviews, instead of points, perhaps the person who started the thread can "accept" or "reject" a review of their own site, thus ensuring that someone can only ask for a website review once they've made three "accepted" reviews.

that's a great idea. there's little in this world that annoys me more than a 'gud work' or 'your colors are bad' in the website reviews section. I try to give useful reviews whenever I have something to say, and don't tend to check the quality of the three requisite reviews given, but I do sometimes get exasperated looking through all the useless comments............

it's true that some people could 'reject' negative reviews, although honestly most of the responses from site authors to objective criticism - even if overwhelmingly negative - tend to be grateful and accepting, as long as the criticism is constructive and polite.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts