Profile Pages

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is an idea I've had in the back of my mind for a while now, and all the recent changes going on made me remember it again.

The default phpBB layout for user profiles is a bit boring. I think rearranging the information to make user profiles appear a bit more friendly might add a little bit to the sense of community here on the boards.

Obviously I'm not saying Ozzu should turn into a myspace or facebook, but perhaps the profile page could use an upgrade?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the profile pages here are not the default phpbb pages, many fields were added and I did change the layout. I have thought about your suggestion before about giving the user more opportunity to completely customize their page (which would be closer to myspace). Another idea I have had is to give each user their own blog on ozzu. Not sure anybody would even want that though.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I think could be nice if there are things like total visits, 5 latest visitors and probably comments type of thing :lol:

Don't turn it into myspace or facebook... keep it ozzu :D

Maybe add some things like profile for the profile page :P Like maybe 3 120px x 120px profile images of projects the user has finished.

I don't think a blog is a bad idea but I see no use in that to tell you the truth. blogspot is free... why not make a think like the link to site? Except it would be link to blog? :lol: Just would be shown in the profile and not in posts like the link to site is.

About customizing the profile, I don't think you should do that... maybe let them change how the look is... like 3 column vs two column and things like that... shouldn't be too hard... well... you might need to have templates for each one and store the type of template they are using... 3 column vs 2 column.

Might get a bit harsh to maintain :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually think the idea of user blogs is quite good.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I actually think the idea of user blogs is quite good.

Seeing that I don't have a blog I think that's a cool idea too ...
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thoughts on user blogs remains a bit iffy at the moment, but that's not to say i don't support the idea.

I'd be more in favour of restricting the freedom people have on their profiles, but instead focusing on ways in which it can appear more unique to forums. As mentioned previously i like the idea of there being 3-4 columns instead of just the two. Maybe allow the user to add a photo (that isn't their avatar) or something as an image. Just little things like that. Nothing too overly dramatic, but something that will spice up the profiles that little bit.

The blog idea can have it's benefits, but only if user commenting on blogs is dismissed and there are strict rules to keep users from starting posts like "Hey Spork, i totally disagree with your views on Santa Clause". Couldn't the blog idea also be another way for users to spam sites...if so then the moderators might need to have permission to remove those spam blogs depending on how big an issue it might be.

I'd type more, but i feel i'm beeing too much of a cynic regarding this idea. I will support whichever decision is made regardless as i truly believe the changes you've been making to Ozzu are going to benefit Ozzu in the longterm.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I'd be more in favour of restricting the freedom people have on their profiles, but instead focusing on ways in which it can appear more unique to forums. ... Nothing too overly dramatic, but something that will spice up the profiles that little bit.

That's essentially what I was getting it. I wasn't suggesting that we add more abilities, but that we just play around with how the profile information is presented. The current two-column layout is a bit boring.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't care what user profiles look like as long as they don't have 2MB background images & other similar stuff on them. I wouldn't even care about that if there was always a way to view some sort of "default" profile format.

Here's a list of profile fields I pay zero attention to or only notice when other people are talking about them
Rank Image
Member ID
Total posts
Favorite Movies
Favorite TV Shows
Favorite Songs

Here's a list of profile fields I look at occasionally and would miss
Username
Rank (custom title entertainment value)
Last visited
Groups
Education
Programming Languages
All skill levels
Favorite Books (I like to see educational titles)
Website (I wouldn't mind this being replaced with a textarea for a short list of addresses that doesn't autolink the URLs)
Status (the only people I look at this for are administrators/moderators at times they can do something I can't)

Here's a list of profile fields I tend to look at profiles for the sole purpose of seeing
Posts Link
Most active forum
Most active topic
Tutorials Link
Favorite Browser
Favorite Software

Here's a list of profile fields I think are missing
Adaptation of the "last blog post" found on users posts at digitalpoint. I really like that, but think it would be even better if it was available for any type of RSS feed, be it a blogs RSS feed or a sites news RSS feed.

Phone Number.

Primary Motivation Here. A dropdown with these options.
There is no "All of the above", people should change it as their motivation changes.
a) Networking (Social)
b) Networking (Business)
c) Education
d) Participating in the Marketplace

Certifications. Education levels are nice, but what are they educated in ?

One thing I would change about Ozzu. The thread rocked, but a constant textarea in profiles would be awesome, easy to poll, & simple to analyze for administrators at any given moment.

That's all the comes to mind at the moment, & I think the Rays game is on.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts