Read tracking inconsistancies.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought I'd point out some read tracking inconsistancies with the current cookie in the hopes that something can be done about them. Browser = Firefox .8

Scenario 1:
General topics on main page shows unread topics. Enter the board and there are two unread topics. Read one of them but not the other. Go to main page and general board now shows no unread topics.

Scenario 2:
Website design board shows no unread topics. Enter board and discover 2 topics unread. I didn't read either. Go back to main board and Website Design forum now shows topics unread, but general board still shows no topics unread (even though I know one is still unread there). Re-enter Design board. Same topic shows unread.

Scenario 3:
Main page - mark all forums read. Check all forums. No unread posts in any forum. Refresh page several times. Showing no updates. Same last topic poster. Enter general board and discover new unread post by a different poster than main board is showing. Exit to main page. Main page General board now shows unread posts.

These are just a few of the scenarios I've noticed. I'll add more if I see others. I really do miss the old way, but I'm not asking for that to be brought back because I know what that does to the database. Just wanted to point these out mostly as an FYI. I think new posts and replies are possibly getting overlooked because of inconsistancies like these.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive noticed the 1st and 3rd way.

Quote:
I really do miss the old way...

What was the old way?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The old method all the read tracking was recorded on the database. This was causing the database to grow rather large and was causing performance issues. Bigwebmaster switched it back to a cookie system when he did the last board upgrade.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts