rel="nofollow" in signature links?

• gastongr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
i was wondering why links in my signature have a rel="nofollow"?
Is that because i'm new?
you shouldn't do that in my opinion. :roll:
Gaston
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
you shouldn't do that in my opinion.

Why ?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Quote:
you shouldn't do that in my opinion.

Why ?

Because it means people register with the hope of being able to comment spam only to have thier efforts thwarted by a simple piece of code in signature links...
Those poor poor comment spammers, When will society accept them for who they are. :(
  • gastongr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Why?

Because it's a nice way to incentive members to be active in the community and help others.
Because people posting their problems or solutions to other's people problems are actually posting content. Giving them the change to get a link back to their sites is good IMHO.

Quote:
Because it means people register with the hope of being able to comment spam only to have thier efforts thwarted by a simple piece of code in signature links...
Those poor poor comment spammers, When will society accept them for who they are.

no comments...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't even begin to imagine what I'd do with 15k plus backlinks. Somebody help me out.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I can't even begin to imagine what I'd do with 15k plus backlinks. Somebody help me out.

Draw all kinds of red flags from Google untill they figure out why you have 15k links showing up out of nowhere. :lol:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

gastongr wrote:
Quote:
Why?

Because it's a nice way to incentive members to be active in the community and help others.
Because people posting their problems or solutions to other's people problems are actually posting content. Giving them the change to get a link back to their sites is good IMHO.

My best referer has always been OZZU even with the no follow. I can't recall I've ever needed backlinks as an incentive to provoke me to help others.
  • gastongr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I can't recall I've ever needed backlinks as an incentive to provoke me to help others.

right but with 15000 posts you'r just not normal 8)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles. Or maybe I just think people need help and don't need compensation for the asking *wink I learned most everything I know from free advice.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gastongr - I agree with you in the fact that it could serve as an incentive for some users who might very well participate greatly in the forum and really create some fantastic content helping others. Unfortunately while it could serve this purpose, it also brings in alot of the spammers who will simply register to get backlinks, or create lots of short meaningless posts to get backlinks (the more posts you have the more backlinks you would get, so many would tend to make lots of short quick posts). Overall the incentive brings more of the bad crowd than the good, and that is why we don't have it. Finally Google recommends that you put rel="nofollow" on links for blogs and forums since nearly anybody could put their link up whether it truly is a good site or simply another bad site.
  • gastongr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Gastongr - I agree with you in the fact that it could serve as an incentive for some users who might very well participate greatly in the forum and really create some fantastic content helping others. Unfortunately while it could serve this purpose, it also brings in alot of the spammers who will simply register to get backlinks, or create lots of short meaningless posts to get backlinks (the more posts you have the more backlinks you would get, so many would tend to make lots of short quick posts). Overall the incentive brings more of the bad crowd than the good, and that is why we don't have it. Finally Google recommends that you put rel="nofollow" on links for blogs and forums since nearly anybody could put their link up whether it truly is a good site or simply another bad site.

Understood :)
Sounds like a good reason.
Thanks.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get more hits from Ozzu than I do Google.
  • alemcherry
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alemcherry

Post 3+ Months Ago

A better solution would have been to have some minimum requirement to have a signature/link on signature. Lot of webmasters including me, would appreciate getting a small PR passed back to the site.. hmm...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts