2 same post deletion.

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a thought. I tested this and it came out as possible.

Heres the scenerio.

1.) A person starts a thread, asking for help.
2.) Nobody replies to that thread.
3.) That person figured it out and was the only one to reply saying, "Never mind, I fixed it."

Why doesn't that person delete his own thread? (Don't say that's impossible, I used the "Test" forum to test it, and I deleted my own thread. I'll post how on the bottom.) I think that this should be in the rules (or a mod can delete it). This would prevent this forum from being cluttered up with useless threads that has no directions on how to fix them.

Another idea on how to prevent the forum from cluttering is when you find the solution with no help (by yourself) than post the solution in your post and add, "I fixed it, here's my solution...".

Just a thought.

If you were the only one to post to a thread, than you can delete the thread by the following steps.

1.) Delete your last thread.
2.) Repeat step #1 until you come to your first thread.
3.) Delete your first thread.

I'll test another technique and edit this post.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have to disagree. If someone doesn't know how to do something and figures it out then i suggest the best possible reply to make was one explaining how you fixed it. This way you are not "cluttering" up the site and actually providing some help to anyone else that happens to find that post on Google for example.

It's not very often you do come across people that actually solve their own problems though, and when they do i don't recall ever seeing anyone typing "fixed it". It is usually something like "oops, i forgot to do this...etc etc" in which case the thread is now useful.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually figure my probs out on my own and do tell how I did it. The best solution as pointed out would be for everyone to explain how. Leaving the post though with no explanation is still more beneficial than deleting it. I see it more than most but many times someone 6 months down the road will find the post on search and come and ask how to resolve the same problem. They wouldn't have found OZZU if the post was deleted.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I would have to disagree. If someone doesn't know how to do something and figures it out then i suggest the best possible reply to make was one explaining how you fixed it. This way you are not "cluttering" up the site and actually providing some help to anyone else that happens to find that post on Google for example.

It's not very often you do come across people that actually solve their own problems though, and when they do i don't recall ever seeing anyone typing "fixed it". It is usually something like "oops, i forgot to do this...etc etc" in which case the thread is now useful.

I agree with you on that one and that is what I have written in above post. I said that if they post their threads and found answers they just say never mind, so I offered an idea that they delete the thread if there is no one else.

I also mentioned that a better idea is if they solved their own problem, then they can post the solution to it by themselves. (e.x. Never mind I solved my problem by doing so and so with this and that).
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What i was trying to say before was, while i see where you are coming from, i don't recall there ever being a time when i've seen someone say "oh, nevermind". They either forget to say that they have a solution or reply with the solution.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw a number of posts like that. And others did so too. I'll post a link to it and some of the examples later.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure why. I think we get your point Bogey, not sure why you are determined to prove me wrong when at the end of the day i'm just telling you how it generally is.

Not to be an ass, but i reckon in the 3 and a half years of being a member here i've got a pretty good idea what the general kinda posts we get are. It's not often that you'll come across those where people will go "forget it" or "problem solved".

I am wasting my time trying to explain this.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what you're saying and I'm sorry if i started to sound a little bit lke an ass. I didn't mean it that way, but never mind about that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts