Script suggestion

• silveraden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi admin,

I can always see that there are a lot of guests but only few members and this is not an ideal data. What if you change the script to Vbulletin instead of using this one...(which I think phpbb)

The current script is not really user friendly. I am an experienced forum user but clicking too many times to see the categories and review posts makes me annoyed sometimes...

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, first of all, ozzu is set to view current registered members and guests online over the prior 60 minutes. So you are seeing a relatively accurate representation of who has been recently viewing. As far as viewing unread posts, check the right hand navigation menu. There is a link there to view all unread posts since your last visit. It does make things a bit easier (for most people)

search.php?search_id=unread

You can also view only individual categories that you are interested in by clicking the Category link you are interested in. In addition the breadcrumb navigation menu at the top of the header makes things pretty user friendly in my opinion.

//you are also viewing on a Sunday afternoon and a Holiday weekend in the US which = lower than normal traffic.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you enter ozzu, if logged in. You should see something like this:
Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg

From that section of the page alone you can go to the forum view, or go to unread posts.
  • silveraden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for suggestions.. I think I'm just not used in such settings but anyway, it can be learned... I used to be in forums where I can see everything in index, especially the threads and posters...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OZZU is highly customized to not even resemble a phpbb3 board or a VB board for that matter. And spoof that is only on the dark theme you chose. Not the light theme that is the default theme.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

silveraden wrote:
I used to be in forums where I can see everything in index, especially the threads and posters...

phpbb currently does not have a threaded view like VB does. I also am a member of multiple VB forums and although I'm accustomed to threaded view, I never use it.
  • silveraden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to ran a couple of old phpBB versions before (2000 to 2004) and the old version is better than this new version (for me)...

VB on the other hand is far ahead of phpBB in terms of features and customization...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

silveraden, you'ld have a more effective argument if you ditched the appearance of a VB sales campaign (not saying that's what this is, just what it looks like) and instead listed specificly what it is you believe is missing here.

Simply saying VB is better than phpBB doesn't really help at all. :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes please tell me what features you feel Ozzu is lacking.

ATNO/TW wrote:
And spoof that is only on the dark theme you chose. Not the light theme that is the default theme.

As far as I am aware that should be shown for both the light and dark theme on the home page of ozzu. Is it not for you? You just have to be logged in as it will not be shown to guests.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is showing for me (light theme) ...
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

this forum is fine keep phpbb the only thing i think should be added is a section in a users profile that lists the exact specs of the computer someone is using(self edited of course)because when you need to help someone witch there computer it would be nice to be able to view their computers specs for certain problems just by going to their profile page.
  • silveraden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Yes please tell me what features you feel Ozzu is lacking..

I am just suggesting and not saying you need to change the script because it's a way big work..

I feel comfortable when upon logging into the forum I can see the following.

1. folders with new posts/threads
2. how many people are browsing the folders
3. I always want to see if my own threads have new posts (there is no option here, only posts)

The landing page is a good idea but unlike (SP for example), ozzu has no shortcut at sidebar...only the headlines that don't even have the number of replies and the name of the last poster..
Quote:
In total there are 906 users online :: 14 registered, 0 hidden and 892 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes).

The above data is actually a wasted traffic and admin must analyze why people are not registering nor logging in... can be compared to code4gold.com where there are thousands of people online but only 15 to 20 members are logged... and that forum also has a poor script and design (for me). These visitors are not robots and admin must need to find ways to have them registered and logged.. a 30/70 (members/guests) ratio is already a good data.. ozzu has 6.40/92.50

Take a look at the simple data
DP(vb) = 33.42/66.58 (many spammers but still a good data)
SP(vb) = 15.67/84.33 (strict rules but still acceptable)
WarriorF(vb)= 47.44/52.56 (the best data)
WickedF(vb)= 4.58/95.52 (theme and topics problem)
Namepros(vb) = 8.86/91.14 (many domain newbies)

Code4gold (smf) - 1.34/98.66 (smf plus poor feature and design)
DTM - (ipb) = 17.64/82.36 (tons of annoying subforums but ratio is acceptable)
MMG (ipb) = 9.07/90.93 (strict rules because admin always wanted money :D)....

Furthermore, when you click on your cp at VB, you can see all the topics that you are subscribed with (if you don't want to received email) and at a galnce you can see the activity of the threads...

I am deeply analyzing the visitors of forums where I am a member and I can say I can compare the strengths and weaknesses. There's a lot of factors why visitors don't stay... Script, features, rules, admin and mods behavior...for instance.. Googlecommunity.com lost 60% of traffic after the admin disabled the signature function.

Just my 2 cents and I hope you consider this as constructive criticism..
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most of what you said there Ozzu does have, you are just used to the typical forum interface.

Quote:
1. folders with new posts/threads

You can see this on the forum index page. The folder color changes if there are new posts inside that area.

Quote:
2. how many people are browsing the folders

When you go into any forum category, on the bottom of the page you can see how many people and which people are currently browsing that area.

Quote:
3. I always want to see if my own threads have new posts (there is no option here, only posts)

Thanks for the feature request, Ozzu does not have that built in at the moment.

Quote:
The landing page is a good idea but unlike (SP for example), ozzu has no shortcut at sidebar...only the headlines that don't even have the number of replies and the name of the last poster..

Not sure what you mean by this, we link directly to many forums and unread topics from the main page. Please see our sidebar. I feel that the number of replies and the name of the last poster is information that "fluffs" the headlines and makes it less easy to go through them. I could put an option in the user control panel though to have them make their own decision if they want that or not.

Quote:
The above data is actually a wasted traffic and admin must analyze why people are not registering nor logging in... can be compared to code4gold.com where there are thousands of people online but only 15 to 20 members are logged... and that forum also has a poor script and design (for me). These visitors are not robots and admin must need to find ways to have them registered and logged.. a 30/70 (members/guests) ratio is already a good data.. ozzu has 6.40/92.50

This is because we get a high ratio of new traffic to old traffic at ozzu. Ozzu is highly successful in search engines such as Google and the majority of the traffic that comes to ozzu finds exactly what they need to answer their questions so they move on right after. We get many people not looking to join a forum, they just want answers to their questions. If I cut out all of the traffic from the search engines you would find that our ratio would be quite high then. Many of the forums you get do not get as high of a % of search engine traffic like we do.

Quote:
Furthermore, when you click on your cp at VB, you can see all the topics that you are subscribed with (if you don't want to received email) and at a galnce you can see the activity of the threads...

You can here as well, please get comfortable with our user control panel, I think you will find there are many tools in there.

Quote:
I am deeply analyzing the visitors of forums where I am a member and I can say I can compare the strengths and weaknesses. There's a lot of factors why visitors don't stay... Script, features, rules, admin and mods behavior...for instance.. Googlecommunity.com lost 60% of traffic after the admin disabled the signature function.

I would have to completely disagree here. I do not think the script features, rules, and admin and mod behavior are the reasons why visitors do not stay. Many of the new visitors to the forum have no idea what features, rules, admins and mods we have here. They simply want the information they are looking for. Our most referred topic for instance from search engines is for "javascript sleep" and they are looking for the answer to their question which they find. They aren't looking to join a forum. For queries related to "webmaster forum" or other queries where members are looking to join a forum the % is much higher.

If we disabled our signature function yes we would probably have some members that would leave. Disabling this function would not affect 90% of ozzu's traffic though, it would stay the same. Our largest traffic source is from Google.

I appreciate your feedback, you just have to understand every website is different, they have different kinds of traffic, and what makes ozzu stand apart is that it is much different from its competition. I do not think Ozzu lacks features, out of everything you said there are two new features I can think about adding: one to enable detailed stats on the forum pages for who the last poster is and how many replies, etc; and two to add a link to view your topics only with new replies. Are there any other features you feel ozzu is missing?

These are not things that I expect would change the traffic statistics or signup ratio on Ozzu. They are just there for convenience for members who are currently registered. Nothing wrong with that though, I just do not think these are huge changes that would affect much at Ozzu.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just going to expand on the stats that compare forums:

Quote:
DP(vb) = 33.42/66.58 (many spammers but still a good data)

That is one reason why that one is higher. They also have a great deal of tools that people use daily there, which I think is a great idea as it does force them to have many regulars.

Quote:
SP(vb) = 15.67/84.33 (strict rules but still acceptable)

Sitepoint also has many spammers. They have less strict rules about their signatures and allow passing of pagerank if I recall. Some members are only looking for that. So in this sense Ozzu's stricter rules in this area is accounting for that.

I noticed much of your list only lists VB forums, which is fine. Some people feel VB has more features (and with phpbb version 2 everyone was right, VB did come with many more features), but I feel they are uninformed as phpbb version 3 completely changed that. Did you know that the largest forum on the internet is phpBB?:

http://rankings.big-boards.com/

In fact a VB forum doesn't show up until #9. There are two larger phpbb forums in front of that VB forum.

Did you also know that if you compare features right out of the box that phpBB and VB are actually fairly close.

Here is the difference between phpbb2 and phpbb3:

http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/

Check out the features of the newer phpbb3 and compare them to VB.
  • silveraden
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that explanation admin.. I hope you find my observation constructive...I willt try to make myself used of the features...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been to a number of forums, and I still find Ozzu is much more user-friendly than any others--Only if MySQL forum could send some of their staff to Ozzu, I'd be happy then.

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts