Sessions

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've a feeling that this is not site related, but i am not certain so i am leaving this post here.

For several months now i've found that every few days i'll have logged off of ozzu despite having the always logged on option ticked when logging in. It was so infrequent that it never really bothered me enough to leave this post however this last week i've found it happening at least once a day.

It all started happening around the time i got my iPhone, so i assumed that me logging onto Ozzu through that was logging me off here just like if you were to log into MSN messenger from one PC while already being logged on in another PC. I continued to believe this and was prepared to accept this until this week when i found myself being logged off every day, i've not accessed Ozzu from my iPhone in nearly 2 weeks now.

Strange thing about this all is that it is only happening to Ozzu and no other sites.

Anyone else experiencing this? or are there any possible reasons and solutions to the problem?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you been doing anything website related lately that would have you clearing a browser cache ?

I used to inadvertently kill off my logins all over the net when I would clear my browser cache while working on something, until I un-ticked the boxes that looked like they had to do with cookies and passwords in the history clearing wizard.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing at all. I rarely ever delete cookies or cache. Only do that if there is a big change somewhere that isn't instantly showing.

I actually should just delete both and see if that solves the issue.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stil appears to be happening despite clearing cache. Is this happening to anyone else?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't happen to me, what are your privacy settings set at in your browser? and what browser are you using?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Privacy settings on Firefoz version 3.5.4 is set to remember history.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about the "Keep until" thing? Is it "until they expire" or "I close Firefox"? I don't know if that could be the problem but... I thought I'll put this here just in case it at least sparks an idea towards the solution.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looked at settings regarding the cookies and cache and seem to be alright. Still happening on very random moments. It's been happening for a couple of months now and i still haven't sussed what could be causing it as it happens very randomly. It would be one day, then the next then it might not happen for half a week or even a week. Strange.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Several months later and still have this problem. Pretty strange one that went away for a few weeks. I've had it happen to me at least once a day now, earlier on it happened twice.

Just cannot seem to put my finger on what is causing this. Very very strange.

I noticed this time though that when i had to log in again it showed the "tick to automatically sign in" button was unticked, before it used to always be ticked even though it would log me out.

Am i the only person this is happening to? It's quite annoying at times.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should also add that when i am viewing a topic and i want to leave a reply, it will show me as logged in initially then it will log me out. So when i have to log in again i automatically load up at the main ozzu index page (where the headlines are) so i then have to navigate back to the topic i was at to then leave the reply. Any way that can be sorted? or is this possibly because the site doesn't recognise i am in a particular topic and instead thinks i am logging in for the first time?

I was sure that before you could log in when logged out in a particular topic especially when you are about to post a reply or new topic.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately I think its only happening to you SB. I have had no other people tell me this happens for them, and it seems to work fine for me. The only way I could address a problem like this is to be able to reproduce it.

Does your IP Address change wildly all of the time? If so that could cause it due to the way Ozzu would make you re-login if your ip address was vastly different on the last session.

Ozzu will try to verify that at least the first 3 blocks match your last used IP (ie xxx.xxx.xxx.123).
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I rarely use my laptop to do much browsing, so it's hard for me to tell if it's just my PC that is playing up or not.

To be fair though, i think my cookies, cache and all that are screwed up because i have an issue on another site which means i have to daily delete the cookie for that site in order to view the content.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've cleared all of my history, cache, cookie, saved settings etc etc. If this doesn't work i am going to stop using Firefox and start off with Chrome. Not had any problems with Chrome so i'm not sure why i just don't go and use that more often instead.

Thanks Brian.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just caught this. Actually this has happened to me at random over the last month or so. Nothing I can pinpoint, but I have started using my laptop at about 4 different locations, i.e. four different IP's. I can't pinpoint an exact when and where but I've found myself several times having to log in, even though like craig I stay logged in. Seems to happen after I've changed a location.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which would make sense as I said in the previous post. If any numbers of the first 3 blocks change it will force you to re-authenticate. This prevents others who know your session id from logging in under you. However in situations where you do change your IP alot it could be more of a nuisance.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep. And they would definitely be varied enough to force re-authentication for me. It's a bit of a nuisance but an understandable one that I can tolerate.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would appear that this is what is causing the problems i am having.

Is there anything i can do to stop it? or is it just something i will have to get used to? (unfortunately)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What i could never work out with this is how it seems to be affecting only one of my computers. That is twice tonight it has happened on my PC yet before when i was browsing on my laptop there was no problems then.

I have accepted it as being part of my ozzu ezperience now so i am not overly bothered about it anymore. I just wish i could figure out what is causing it to happen without any set pattern. I mean, there is a chance it won't happen for another week or two, or maybe by the time i submit this post i will have to log in again.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I wish I could do more. Without being able to reproduce it or you finding some sort of pattern it is really hard for me to do anything. Whenever it does happen do you check your IP Address to see if it has changed?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sat here for half an hour or so yesterday and tried to reproduce it on my home computers where I can control everything, and did one time, but I couldn't duplicate it.

My setup has the forum on one computer *.*.*.102 and me on another computer *.*.*.101
I had the forum doing all parts of the IP for session validation, as well as having the user-agent bit enabled.

The one time I had it happen I had just opened the MCP in Firefox, and then over in Opera I was logged out. Couldn't make it happen a second time though.

The only way I've been able to consistently get myself logged out, is if I manually remove the session ID from a destination URL before I navigate to it.

I haven't been able to log myself out with session validation checking all parts of the IP and using wget to request a page from another machine, so I'm a little skeptical of it having something to do with the IP address.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB, is there any differences between your computer and laptop with regards to antivirus or antimalware software? Some antivirus software may block cookies or delete them for instance.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, but only recently. So i doubt it has anything to do with that. I just installed Norton Anitvirus trial to give it a go as i noticed the computer was perorming a bit strange lately (the sound card topic in hardware forum is one of the issues i've had recently).

To be honest, i quite fancy just rebuilding the computer and installing Windows 7 in the process :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think i might have sussed what seems to be making it happen...although it still makes little sense.

It appears to happen more if i am browsing Ozzu on my laptop then onto my PC. The only thing though is it appears to be happening only on my PC and there would be times when i am on my laptop earlier on in the day then on my PC and it would happen 2 or 3 times after i was on my laptop. So i still don't know.

I have definitely noticed it more when i am browsing between the two computers.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I changed my browser from FF to Chrome a couple of weeks ago and not once has it happened since. I have a feeling it could may have been a Firefox Issue on this computer, maybe an add on or something was doing something to my sessions. I really don't know. Fingers crossed Chrome continues to impress me.

I will eventually stop posting in this thread soon :lol:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get the IP issue alot from changing my browsing apparatus of choice. phone to laptop usually causes the other to log itself out and re-authenticate. Which actually makes sense and I am glad it does it. If I log into ozzu on the machine at work, Then I browse it using my phone away from the office, anyone who could have hopped on my machine with ozzu open would automatically get logged out ;)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So far i have had no issues since changing my browser to Chrome. I wonder if there is something wrong with the version of Firefox i was using.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, i am even more convinced it was Firefox now.

I loaded up FF for the first time in a while. It was loading up Ozzu alright and then just a few minutes ago it logged me off.

I have version 3.5.8.

So, any idea what could have caused FF to be like this?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

No idea, I am using Firefox 3.6 on Windows 7 with no problems still. Wish I could tell you whats causing it.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, i am not too concerned about this anymore because as i mentioned previously i am now using Chrome and currently appreciating it more than FF.

It is most likely just an issue with my version of FF which i am aware is now outdated. I don't plan on upgrading it so there is nothing for this site to be concerned about.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a follow up, i am completely convinced it is a FF issue. Ever since using Chrome i haven't seen it happen.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 38 posts