SpellCheck AND Participation Points

• Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

SPELLCHECK: (1) It is inconsistent; i.e., sometimes it appears when I click the button, sometimes it doesn't; (2) It seems to have a limited vocabulary. It does not recognize some basic words. :(

PARTICIPATION POINTS: How does this system work? Is there a full explanation anywhere? What is the reason/purpose of donating points to someone else? :?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spellcheck : you running any popup blockers that would prevent it from coming up? Even the Micro$oft spellcheckers don't include every word you'll want to use. Why not give us an example of a "basic" word that it doesn't understand? :)

Participation Points : Yup, hit "Search" at the top, and type in "Participation Points", and away you go - or just go into the Announcements forum, it's in there :)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spell check won't add new words (at least not for me). For example, I've tried to add acronyms like PHP, Perl, etc.
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spellcheck : It runs more often than it doesn't; just inconsistent and probably something on my end of the cable.

An example of a "basic" word that it doesn't understand: I meant to type "participation" (without the quotes, of course), but typed "participatrion" instead. The SpellCheck said it had no recommendations.

Participation Points : Got it.

Thanks for the information! :D
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

It bothers me that spell check doesn't recognize contractions like "I'm." Not a big deal, though.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

technically contractions are not proper english
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

what are you talking about? Unless every single teacher I ever
had didn't know what they were talking about, that isn't true.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

IH8Purple wrote:
technically contractions are not proper english

Technically contractions are a personal preference:

A link from the online MLA handbook : http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/apostrophe.htm wrote:
Whether or not contractions are appropriate in academic prose is a matter of personal taste and debate. See the section on Tone for a discussion of contractions. Also, ask your instructor before using contractions in a paper that will be graded.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

well then I guess the teacher that told me that had a very bad preferance.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of my english teachers wouldn't let us use contractions and the words "get" or "got" in any of our papers. Points were deducted for each time any of these were used.

She was a whacked out old coot though. You would get an "F" for the day if you didn't have 2 pencils (w/ erasers), 2 pens, and your notebook... which she did notebook checks to make sure your note layouts were correct.

Conclusion: English teachers are just as crazy as the language.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every English professor I had in college was a bit whacko. One of them would go off on Rush Limbough every day, and another other one would always teach with her eyes closed. I still remember that one of our assigments one day was to watch Frasier, the television show and somehow analyze it. (To this day I still do not know the purpose, I think he just didn't feel like teaching English).
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm I remember whaving to watch tv for an english assignment one day... problem was it was september and I had just moved, I had no cable yet... and he STILL gave me a 0
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The real problem with english teachers is that they lack any sort of conformity.

EACH teacher will teach in a different way, of course, but unlike math or science classes, where no matter which teacher you go to the content is the same, english literature is completely up to the interpretation of the teacher.

There are millions of possibilites of the way things can be interpretid in the English language, and english teachers just need to sit down and figure out which was it is going to work the best.

The MLA has to stop changing it's Works Cited/Bibliography every year as well.

On the side note, one of my teacher's professor interpretid Rip Van Winkle as an eroticized tale, where the rolling hills matched up with anatomy, etc.
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

true, the times when I seemed to do the worst in english was when I would change teachers, however if I had the same teacher two years in a row (either failing, or the teacher taught more then one grade) I would do fine. same thing in courses like religion where it is all interpitation... but if you have the same inperitation as the teacher you get a higher mark.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same English teacher for 3 years.. 9th, 11th and 12th grades.

10th grade was the year of the teacher from h-e-double hockey sticks
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
and another other one would always teach with her eyes closed.

how did she know wat was going on durning class?

I want I want :lol:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

No idea.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts