Teaching others to learn, then earn.

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the member profiles we all have our own section where we can tell another other member what level of experience we all have in certain areas. I wondered if it had ever been discussed where rather than the member saying they are "great" at Programming or Web Design, we could have it where other members could tick some sort of check box to commend a certain member on some help they have provided. What could then happen is once a certain member gets enough commendations from fellow ozzuers they could then have their "Programming" or Web Design (or whatever other fields) improved.

I'm not sure how clear that may sound to you all. I just wondered if this was something that could be looked into for the future of Ozzu. I am aware that the profile settings had been updated so members could change their own profile manually, but for it to be automated and done because of other peoples recognition to the said members help.

I believe this could encourage some members to show off more of their knowledge to be recognized purely because of what they know.

I'm not saying people would do this, but it is possible some members could just say they are good at Web Design yet not prove it. Why not let members prove they are good at something?

If you don't understand what i mean, just let me know and i will try and making it read better.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do agree that a 3rd party opinion of how good you are might work, but to somebody completely new, ANYBODY who knows more than them would appear to be an "expert".

And it'd be a hell of a thing to try and code to be as accurate as possible (preventing friends from just bumping each other up, etc).

But I do definitely like the idea of 3rd parties telling you how good you are :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it's just me, but what's wrong with simply complimenting the member that gave you helpful information?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing, but it would be nice of those compliments were quickly viewable through a user's profile, rather searching their 14,697 posts ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gottcha -- something like a "member rating" mod.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

This comes close, and might even work better http://phpbbhacks.com/download/3747
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those kinds of things are good in theory but usually just turn into a "love in" between mates.
I don't think it would effect how accurate or helpfull peoples posts are, or how reliable thier answers to problems would be.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if it can have some similar algorithm to something like Google PageRank, where a user's opinion of another is based on others' opinions of THEM. That may work.

Like I said though, to keep it fair (and you can keep it fair), would take a lot of coding work.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was my main concern about this suggestion. I was aware it wasnt going to be a simple 5 minute job, it could take some time getting the coding right, yet at the same time might end up encouraging people to post more useful posts if and when they can.

Just thought i would share with you all some things i tend to think about during the day when i am sitting twiddling my thumbs :lol:
  • KayGreen
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • KayGreen
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about 'encouraging people to be helpful'. Advisors looking for brownie points just aren't the same as people who like helping.
But the system as is does have the fault that how we rate ourselves is a matter of character as much as anything. I've plastered beginner all over everywhere so's nobody shouts at me when I can't find the 'off' switch. How many years do you have to be in this game to feel like an expert?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are an expert when you find that pretty much most queries in that particular area is something you can answer without a problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts