Temporary OZZU search advice.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Given recent changes in the OZZU search, it may take a little bit of time for Google to catch up with the changes. In the meantime you can go to this Google datacenter specifically to search OZZU http://66.249.93.104 (It has more pages indexed than any other)

When you enter your search term/s make it look something like this:

site:www.ozzu.com Microsoft

or if you have more than one search term something like this:
site:www.ozzu.com test image
or
site:www.ozzu.com cool+screensaver
or
site:www.ozzu.com ntoskrnl+corrupt

or if you want to include something "or" another search for:
site:www.ozzu.com ntoskrnl || corrupt

Much of the other possibilities can be achieved by using google's advanced search options. It takes a bit of understanding them to get good results. The key is to obtain results from OZZU only you have to include
site:www.ozzu.com

For the record you can apply these search methods to any site you wish to obtain results from
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another alternative for searching threads you've already seen is the Google desktop (assuming you had it installed when you first saw that thread) - and it will let you search history results JUST for http://www.ozzu.com.

I've been using that for searching past posts on Ozzu more than anything else since the switch.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I personally don´t like this new search.When i use a forum search i like seeing the topics and being able to go directly to them,with this google search i couldn´t even find the topic i was searching for (live messenger).
Resuming: when i search with the forum search engine i´m just looking for results inside the forum i´m at in order to see the topics that the forum has with that subject...when i want to search the web i use google.
greetings
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, there are a few things that could be ironed out but go to phpbb.com and click search, and just type in test and after a few moments you get 23942 results (as of this post). I'm assuming you understand what that can do to the database and the functionality of the forum, were you to leave it as such?

That being said, the phpbb forum has surprised me. There's been many times their search hasn't even been available. Interesting to see them do that.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

That´s a very general word.
In a phpbb search you can always use some things to reduce and produce a more accurate search like choosing the category , using boolean operators (and,or,etc) ,search for all terms, etc.
The problem with the google search you´ve implemented is,as i said before, that the results don´t take me to the specific page where the posts are, but only to the section (for instance the live messenger search i´ve made took me to tha category...but the topic was three pages after the one it took me , if it wah 100 pages after it would be more like a manual search of the topic and a very anoyng task to do!
If you could get it to work better (like taking the user directly to the post) that would be wonderfull and a big improvement of the phpbb forums search!But has it is is not helping at all.
greetings
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Xamix,

I can understand your grief, there are definitely some things Ozzu search can do that the Google search cannot. Unfortunately having that search comes at a big performance hit on the server, especially since the search tables were getting very large. Just to do a little search would put tremendous load on the server. The reason the phpbb search was dropped is because I think it would be more beneficial to users to have the site up, instead of crashed and down.

There is a chance I may bring the search back in the near future, as I am considering the option to move Ozzu to a new more powerful server. Eventually though I foresee the search being dropped again even if I do bring it back. The larger the forum gets, the larger the increase in performance cost for having the search function available.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hope you can solve that problem (or get a better server :) )
If you could make this google search work it would be really nice!
p.s: By the way...the meta name keywords are inserted in the overall_header.tpl,right?

greetings

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts