Tutorials

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think ozzu should have a tutorial section.

i made some tutorials for fireworks... and i was thinking that it would be a good idea for ozzu members to make a compilation of their own tutorials.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

we've actually talked about this before, it just never came to be.
maybe if there was more a demand and support for it we would get it done.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the idea, in fact a few photoshop tutorials from some masters in this forum would be great.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do like this idea. Any ideas on how to best organize it? Should there just be one tutorial forum with a bunch of mixed up tutorials ranging from photoshop, to fireworks, to installing O/s, to setting up networks, etc? Another option would be for me to install a sub forum mod so that the tutorial forum was much more organized, however, I am not sure I want to go that route due to how much more work it will take to keep PHPBB up to date.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My suggestion --

tutorials.ozzu.com or
tutorials.bigwebmaster.com

Something along the lines of
http://www.w3schools.com/

There is enough talent here to fill up a whole child domain with that.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

good idea ATNO...

i was thinking along the lines of erm...

hmm, i am unsure, and sorry that this has come up before, i never noticed it.

i guess we could have one part of the forum, for people to post tutorials (or a form) and then approved by and admin/mod and moved to an archive of tutorials

i dont know... but i think it would work well for ozzu ;)
  • Nazrin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: MY(Malaysia)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with making a tutorial section...it can be useful! Hope Ozzu make a good decision on this suggestion :)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh... i made a tutorial, then posted it on pixel2life.com wow, i get alot of traffic from it now lol

i have a list of tutorial that i need to make lol
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest making a catagory on the homepage that says tutorials, and then list the forums below like Photoshop, 3DS MAX, Bryce, Fireworks, and so on.

poly
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

A Great idea - the tutorials for Ozzu...fab - when - now....?
:D
  • gaparker
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: England, uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

YEA that wud make a great forum for newbys, it wudnt take so long to catch up with the big boys
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes that would be cool . would members like me be able to add tutorials
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to focus this a bit, there is no issue with this idea. I think everyone is in favor of it. And I'm quite sure it's on the list. The problem is the mechanics of the best way to implement it. Please reread what Bigwebmaster said earlier in this post:

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I do like this idea. Any ideas on how to best organize it? Should there just be one tutorial forum with a bunch of mixed up tutorials ranging from photoshop, to fireworks, to installing O/s, to setting up networks, etc? Another option would be for me to install a sub forum mod so that the tutorial forum was much more organized, however, I am not sure I want to go that route due to how much more work it will take to keep PHPBB up to date.

Try to focus suggestions on a method that would logistically work with phpBB.
  • crazynorvegian
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • crazynorvegian
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont think a forum with mixed up tutorials would work because of the difficulty of navigating it. I haven't found the search engine built into phpbb to be all that fantastic, which would make finding just what you're looking for (if it exists) a lot harder. Personally, i think the subdomain idea was pretty good simply in terms of ease of use and navigation for people looking for turorials. On the flip side, i would imagine this would be much more difficult for the moderators to manage, and be much more time consuming. Perhaps just a well organized sub-forum would be best...
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Considering I know absolutely nothing about PHPBB, is there a way to change the order in which posts appear? If so, it would be easy to navigate a new tutorial forum alphabetically, as long as everyone posted the titles within rules, if you were looking for a dreamweaver tutorial, you would just have to scroll to the "D's"
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As you can see at the bottom of any topic there are ways to change the sort order. Something like what you suggest would have to be manually written of course but it could be done.

I think there are a couple of issues incorporating it into a forum, per se. One and foremost is organization and as you noted, i.e. being able to find what you are looking for. Number two and in my opinion more important is the need to maintain quality and accuracy with the tutorials. Let's face it, if it was entirely left up to user submitted tutorials, there would be many that would be "questionable" in terms of quality.

I still love this idea, but when I think of a tutorial section, I don't think of looking for them in forum posts. I think more in the lines of very well organized and easily navigated such as http://www.w3schools.com.

I wish there was an easy answer to this because it appears that the idea is highly supported.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok here is my 2 cents
idea 1
tutorials.ozzu.com and make a forum with the sub forums and list from a-z
2 tutorials.ozzu.com & just a database of tutorials with a search that will search the database and give you the tutorials in a zip or a site of tutorials
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

much the same as ATNO/TW said about http://www.w3schools.com
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ooo...it's been a while since anyone posted on this.

I thought it would be cool to have a tutorials section, so I did a search before posting a new topic, and found this.

I wouldn't mind making some Photoshop tutorials, but wouldn't really have much to do with them. If I sent them to a tutorial site, I wouldn't really get much feedback or anything, so a Tutorial section would be nice.

Pity it hasn't happened :( .

// Sorry if I'm digging up old posts again :shock:
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Loc: South East England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like it if there was a category for tutorials and different forums under that, such as Photoshop, Flash, etc.

I have written some tutorials as well. :)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think ATNO summed it up well when he said
Quote:
I still love this idea, but when I think of a tutorial section, I don't think of looking for them in forum posts. I think more in the lines of very well organized and easily navigated such as http://www.w3schools.com

It is a good idea, but i think it only really works on forums that have highly tailored specific themes and content.

Would anyone really search OZZU for a webdesign / coding tutorial before searching google?
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would anyone say to Google, (what's the best tutorial for...). If they came to Ozzu, they could get specific help, whether it be directions to other sits with a good tutorial on it, to a good tutorial thread, or have a tutorial written for them. Yes, granted, people could do that anyway, by posting under the section they want a tutorial about.

But it would be nice for people to get their work out, and Ozzu is a large community of people who generally know what they're talking about, and not only would it be a way of people getting their work and ideas out, it could also help someone.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's evident this is a subject of interest. The primary problem is the logistics of making it work. It's entirely possible, however, I don't think Bigweb, nor any of the mod staff currently have the time to devise a means of implementing it. When one or more of us does, you may see it implemented. I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere in the near future. Although I think we all agree this is a worthwhile idea, I think I can safely say, it's not a pressing priority.

The board as it stands at the moment serves it's intended purposes. A tutorial section would be a nice touch, but quality of the content of the posting here is sufficient to provide an alternative.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with ATNO's wise words.

Here's a question...If it was implimented in the future, what ideas do everyone have on how it could be structured?

I think:

Tutorialls (0)

Requests (1)
- Sub sections for different software (2)
- Threads with the requests (3)

Different Software Sections (1)
- Threads for the tutorials (2)

EDIT // This looks a little unclear, beause I didn't reolise that Ozzu automatically removes large selections of spaces. I've added numbering to represent the levels of the sections. //
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really do like the idea of tutorials, but will probably not implement something like this until ozzu has sub forum capability. That way there can be one forum called:

Tutorials

With numerous sub categories that tutorials can be placed in to keep everything organized.

So I do see something like this coming to Ozzu in the future, just not in our current timeframe.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

To expand on Bigweb's post, phpBB is currently developing Olympus, which does have this capability. However, it is not clear when the beta will be released let alone a well tested fully functional version will be available.

Personally I still think a tutorial section would be best served by being a separate entity on a separate domain. I don't see it working well in a forum structure.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I look forward to the hope of seeing it up and running in the, unfortunately, distant future.
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Loc: South East England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes its a shame because i wanted a tutorial on how to make a website in flash, so i typed it in google but i found nothing!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should do a little searching for Flash Tutorials and check their tutorials sections. This one at flashkit.com should be what you are looking for.
http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Tips_ ... /index.php
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

If this idea goes into action, will all of the accounts be copied to the tutorial forum?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts