Tutorials

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just saw the new Tutorials subforum under Website Design. I've got a couple of questions:

1. Will there be a tutorials section for other forums, specifically the Programming forum?

2. Is there any special format that we should follow when posting tutorials? I've been meaning to write a few of my own, but I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to maintaining consistency with the rest of the site, so if there's a predefined format to follow, that'd be great, otherwise I'll just model them after the few that I've seen posted so far.

Also just want to add that I've been looking forward to seeing this ever since it was mentioned in the list of things to add to the site. Nice to see that it's finally coming along.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me.. too. I have not noticed it, but I will check it out... I have one more question to add to that list...

3. Would there be a certain group that would write tutorials?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
1. Will there be a tutorials section for other forums, specifically the Programming forum?

Yes there will, I will be adding more soon. There will be more than one for the programming forum by language most likely.

Quote:
2. Is there any special format that we should follow when posting tutorials? I've been meaning to write a few of my own, but I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to maintaining consistency with the rest of the site, so if there's a predefined format to follow, that'd be great, otherwise I'll just model them after the few that I've seen posted so far.

Yes there will be. The title will be something like this:

TUTORIAL: Name of Tutorial

and then inside there should be an introduction, sub headings, and a conclusion of some sorts. Every heading should be bold, underlined, and size large. So it would look something like this:

Introduction

The introduction here ... blah blah blah ... blah blah.

Sub Heading 1

Information here, can use any bbcodes such as code tags, lists, images, etc. Images should be done using the attach feature of ozzu to make sure that the tutorials always work in the future.

Sub Heading 2

More info here ...

Conclusion

The conclusion here ...

I will eventually have a guide somewhere for making tutorials, and a format to follow. This basically will be it though.

Quote:
3. Would there be a certain group that would write tutorials?

Anybody can submit a tutorial. They should be close to the guidelines that will be given. Each tutorial submitted will only show up once approved by a moderator. That should keep all of the junk out.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:)... A tutorial on how to make a tutorial :lol: Just find that a little amusing.

Great! Many people have being looking forward for a tutorial section :) This forum is taking a big leap on a leap year :)

[EDIT] A little suggestions on the tutorials... maybe make a rating system and disable reply for everyone except the forum administrator, moderators, and the thread starter. Just my 2 cents on it.

[EDIT #2] Oh, and about the attachment thing... On the tutorials it said that you cannot attach stuff... how are we to attach things on it? How do we attach images?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe you're already a step ahead, but perhaps it would be a good idea to put the style guidelines in a page that appears before creating the thread, much like how the rules for website reviews/job opportunities are set up?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
[EDIT #2] Oh, and about the attachment thing... On the tutorials it said that you cannot attach stuff... how are we to attach things on it? How do we attach images?

I need to fix the permissions, I will do that tomorrow.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
disable reply for everyone except the forum administrator, moderators, and the thread starter.

Now I like the idea of people being able to ask questions within the tutorials myself.

I believe phpBB3 has a setting that can allow people to lock their own threads in certain forums, maybe that could be enabled for the tutorials forums so that each individual tutorial author could decide whether people can reply to a tutorial, or whether only they should be able to reply to it, perhaps with followups. (part #1, part #1, etc)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Now I like the idea of people being able to ask questions within the tutorials myself.

I agree.

I also like your second suggestion about the authors being able to choose to lock their own threads.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Permissions should be fixed for the tutorial forums now, attachments should work.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have about 4 or 5 C++ tutorials queued up that I plan on writing in the next few days, so a subcategory for C++ would be appreciated.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Done.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

One other thing that is no one's fault but left me mad. This thing logged me out as I was typing a tutorial!!! I could type more and more and I forgot that this thing logs me out every once in awhile and I previewed my forum and it said I need to log in...

Well I did, but I lost my hours of work on it!!! Kind of frustrating... I know it's no one's fault, I just have to say that to release my frustration...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

How come it logs you out? Did you check the box on the login to stay automatically logged in?

Since you are having issues with that what I would recommend is before you hit the submit button to copy your entire post to your clipboard (ctrl-insert is what I use). That way if for some reason something bad happens you can easily paste it back in.

The other thing you could do is click the "Save" button on the posting page every so often so that you do not lose any work.

I would still be curious on why that happened to you though. Any additional information would be great.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

One other question, did you spend over 3600 seconds (1 hour) writing the post? A posting session I believe will expire after that amount of time. You shouldn't have to re-login though.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
Done.

Thanks.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
One other question, did you spend over 3600 seconds (1 hour) writing the post? A posting session I believe will expire after that amount of time. You shouldn't have to re-login though.

I spent, a little more than that and it logged me out, I didn't check anything though at log-in. That may have caused me to log off...

I'll just re-write the tutorial tomorrow or sometimes later. I feel lazy out of frustration to start on it now and it's kind of late now...
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why don't you just copy and paste the general outline of the tutorial to word, and then just write it in word and then transfer it to a post?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat wrote:
Why don't you just copy and paste the general outline of the tutorial to word, and then just write it in word and then transfer it to a post?

I usually do that... I just have forgotten since I haven't posted here for awhile. I'll do that. That's what Bigweb has suggested as well so it's popular around here :) Thanks anyways.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a heads up, the forum rules don't show up in the C++ subforum.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Bigwebmaster wrote:

I spent, a little more than that and it logged me out, I didn't check anything though at log-in. That may have caused me to log off...

I'll just re-write the tutorial tomorrow or sometimes later. I feel lazy out of frustration to start on it now and it's kind of late now...

Remember, with phpbb3 you can save your drafts while you work at your leisure. Your session won't time out then. You can find your drafts in your control panel. This could let you have several going at once and edit them or add to them when you have time, and post them when they are finished.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been pressing save instead of submit lately, I guess I better go and clean them posts out haha.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also an ASP.Net sub forum would be cool, I'm planning a few of those ... If you don't mind that ofcourse ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

With so many different subforums being added for tutorials, the actual programming topics are being moved further and further down the page... I'm beginning to wonder if a general "Tutorials" subforum with the independent language subforums would be a better idea...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

That does sound good ... but if those become more full it might become messy ...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually all that would be necessary would be for the "Tutorials" Subforum to be collapsed. Then you would not see the child subforums until you entered the Tutorial subforum. If I recall correctly, a description could be written for the Tutorial subforum that could list the child forums inside.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Exactly. It's not too bad as it is right now, but when people start adding things for ASP, Ruby, ColdFusion, Lisp, C#, D, Java... well, you get the point.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts