Warn about replying to old posts.

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Replies to old posts can happen when a user comes to the site from a search engine. If a user replies to a topic that is say, four months old, on the reply screen, put a large warning message in black text on a yellow background that warns, "You do know that you're replying to a thread that was last posted on seven months ago, right?"

Or something of that sort.

That is my suggestion.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be a good idea.. or automatically lock threads when they get to the third page.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bad idea for numerous reasons - some questions may take longer to have a correct answer or sometime down the track someone else has the same problem and needs more information - it keeps everything in the same topic.

There are only a select group of those who may come onto the site and answer old posts for the thrill of it and those people are warned by mods.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

the way i see it if the thread managed to get to the third page it more that likely got an answer that was good enough to solve the problem.
so if anybody has something to add it would be a seperate issue and should have a new thread for it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This thread is a prime example as to why this won't happen:
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/sasser-virus-info-lsass-exe-terminates-with-error-code-t24247.html

It was begun May of last year and is still be found, posted to and used as recently as 6 days ago.

There are multiple examples of this throughout OZZU. As musik pointed out. The moderators deal with the abusers.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe not lock the threads then.
sams idea was good about giving them a blatent notification.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That would be a fairly tricky mod to write. Seen one already made anywhere?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quickly pulling the date of the original post if mode=reply or mode=quote & comparing it against nows date in posting.php would be a start, I don't see the point of it though. The ones who it would be meant for are the same ones who would look at the message, laugh, & do it anyway :?
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had a quick google but only found mods that lock the threads, none that just notify the user of the date.
Quote:
The ones who it would be meant for are the same ones who would look at the message, laugh, & do it anyway

lol yeah thats true.

I found a forum where some guy was trying to write a mod to have a happy medium between "bump to the top" and cronological order of threads. That would be interesting to see.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts