Web site review spam prevention

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just looking over the site as i do, found a post in reviews and looked like spam so checked if he did reviews and all the same posts 4 total within 24 hours of registration.

I think we need to set a post limit to be able to post because i think that section should be for contributing members as it does help a lot to have others in your field check your work and help you progress along.

So what does the rest of the Ozzu think of setting a post requirement of 20-50 posts before posts can be made in that section.

i am sure this is not a new idea but it is effective, there will be a drop in spam in that section if it takes them too much time just to post then to have their time wasted time and time again. long term it will take effect.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem with this idea is you will put off alot of good members from contributing to the site. If i am completely honest the reason i believe i joined this site was probably to get some opinions on my website at the time. If i would have to wait over a day just to get my website reviewed i would have just forgotten about the site and likely never returned.

The system we have is as good as i think it will be and is quite effective. What we need though is for people like yourself to "report" the post if you think it is not appropriate and a moderator will check it out.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ratio to good members to leachers is a big jump like what 1 in 1000 members would be a full contributing member.

But koolies, i won't argue with Sr Staff about it but really i find it annoying that which such a great resource. If people put the little effort in and learn something they would have 10x better attention from ozzu members. Like i can post my web site in my sig and that may get few 100 clicks a week for being a contributing member not 100 views then banned.

A small perk for contributing but i was thinking as it is a must have section a little restriction could get a little more activity and really if people just want to advertise and leave well they deal with it after but for what you get in return why not make the noobs work for their review.

Need to work for the good things in life :P Including Ozzu haha

well np just wanted to voice my opinion as all ways.

Z
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your opinion is always appreciated, and don't think that because i "shot it down" it means that the idea is completely dead.

I am only a moderator, i don't make the decisions around here. That being said i don't think i completely understood your original post. I thought you meant restricting the amount of posts in the Website Review forum in a 24 hour period.

There are good restrictions preventing members from joining just to post their links in signatures and then leaving. At the moment there is a restriction of no less than 150 posts and being a member for at least 3 months before you can do that.

Yes, people can still post links in the website review forum, but Moderators check this forum daily and very often lock these posts and remove links until they meet forum requirements.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea all good mate but i know about the 3 month system also i have been staff on many sites i know the chain of command Red Blue then Green and gray hahahaha

but i feel that a small post restriction should be a 4th rule for high profile sections could reduce some of the man hours taking care of the site.

I know the mods work around the clock to keep the site clean i know the drill but spam just really annoys me and i don't like it because i get spammed constantly.

anyway just thinking aloud about it :P
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have actually thought about tweaking some of the requirements. The goal with the restrictions are not to scare people away, but to keep the members who are coming here for the wrong reason away. I haven't really seen a huge problem in the website review forum as compared to the Internet Marketing section of the forum. As you may know that forum is now pre-moderated meaning all posts have to be approved. The reason for that is so much absolute regurgitated meaningless junk was being posted there.

So at this time I will probably keep the 3 reviews requirement in affect before they can post their own as that is typically enough to weed out the bad reviews.

I am debating lowering the general post restrictions from 150 posts and 3 months to 50 posts and 7 days. Most spammers join and leave within 24 hours, so I am thinking that limit could still get around 90% of the problems with the spammers.

The one thing I really like with Ozzu compared to other webmaster forums out there is I feel the quality of the content posted here is generally much better. I have recently been going around looking at other forums and much of the stuff posted is so meaningless and I don't know how a regular person could even learn. I think most post to advertise their own products/services on these forums. I actually feel with Ozzu that people are learning and helping each other, and that is one of the goals here. Out of all the forums I have scanned, they are all pretty much the same except for Ozzu and one other.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I have actually thought about tweaking some of the requirements. The goal with the restrictions are not to scare people away, but to keep the members who are coming here for the wrong reason away. I haven't really seen a huge problem in the website review forum as compared to the Internet Marketing section of the forum. As you may know that forum is now pre-moderated meaning all posts have to be approved. The reason for that is so much absolute regurgitated meaningless junk was being posted there.

So at this time I will probably keep the 3 reviews requirement in affect before they can post their own as that is typically enough to weed out the bad reviews.

I am debating lowering the general post restrictions from 150 posts and 3 months to 50 posts and 7 days. Most spammers join and leave within 24 hours, so I am thinking that limit could still get around 90% of the problems with the spammers.

The one thing I really like with Ozzu compared to other webmaster forums out there is I feel the quality of the content posted here is generally much better. I have recently been going around looking at other forums and much of the stuff posted is so meaningless and I don't know how a regular person could even learn. I think most post to advertise their own products/services on these forums. I actually feel with Ozzu that people are learning and helping each other, and that is one of the goals here. Out of all the forums I have scanned, they are all pretty much the same except for Ozzu and one other.

linuxforums.org was a kool place but yea see what ya mean. The 7 day rule really can't see a issue with it as spammers post then leave as you say so at this point it seams it would be a improvement giving that several people do complain about the 0.68 posts a day for the first 3 months lol

As for Ozzu if it was a woman i would make sweet 10001110010101 love to it

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts