what do you think?

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a pretty big chip on my shoulder tonight and i wondered someone here might take a step towards eating it for me.

I love to see new posts on forums, the title of the thread makes it a bit more appealing and joyous and the fields are usually alive with the sound of...

Anyhoo, you catch my drift?

There was a post posted tonight in the GD forum and basically the registered member has asked us to tell us what we honestly think of an idea. In order to find out the idea, we have to go and click on a link to another site.

Could this not be viewed as a form of spam, in a way? It's just i have a thing against clicking on links to sites that are not clearly tutorials or a bit of fun kind of sites.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting opinion, but that really depends on whether the person's link had actually anything to do with the post he made. It also depends on whether he actually "needed" to post a link for whatever reason. I'm not 100% sure, so I'll wait to see what a mod things :P
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not spam. He wanted an opinion on an idea or concept, so what better way to explain the concept than to show us it?

Inevitably if he hadn't someone else would have made a post here saying "i don't like it when people want an opinion on a site and don't post the link" or replied to him with "well post a link then numb nuts".
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
It's not spam. He wanted an opinion on an idea or concept, so what better way to explain the concept than to show us it?

Inevitably if he hadn't someone else would have made a post here saying "i don't like it when people want an opinion on a site and don't post the link" or replied to him with "well post a link then numb nuts".

To funny Meman. I think SB is actually talking about the fact the link was so the poster could be tracked for refferals. Hes trying to gain a site and money out of it. Its misleading, but I guess if you can use the information on the site, then its not. So its like one of those posts, that is crossed between spam and crossed between useful :shock:
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Benat, meman had it right. Here is the post that set SB off...

SB wrote:
I would love to reply to this post in a way that you would like, however i have a thing against clicking on links to another site so i can find out what it is about. Why don't you just explain what it is about and i'll reply with my true honest feelings.

I'm not saying your doing this, but that post is as good as Spam to me. I don't mean the meaty time either Smile

SB, it is easier and much more concise to provide a link to the site instead of explaining it from scratch in a new post (especially that post in question!) If you don't have the time to click on the link and learn about the posters request, then all you have to do is click Back to General Discussion :wink: No need to flame the poster for not wanting to describe a website/concept in a post.

I find it ironic it irked you, as you have done it on numerous occasions ;), heck we all have. There's nothing wrong with it, and I'd be surprised if a mod did anything other than laugh at this suggestion.

Sorry :|
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ulstermonkey wrote:
I find it ironic it irked you, as you have done it on numerous occasions ;), heck we all have. There's nothing wrong with it, and I'd be surprised if a mod did anything other than laugh at this suggestion.

I would love for you to provide an example of this ulstermonkey. If i have ever posted an external link it has been to show an example of what i needed some help with which is completely different to the link in that post.

Clicking to go away from the topic was an option i chose to delay until i replied asking for the poster to actually tell us what he wanted our opinion on. Even the quoted content from the website dosn't really explain what it is we are supposed to be commenting. What do i think of the idea of the site? Simple - SPAM. I believe i said that, now i want to see what moderators or even our good old BigWeb thinks of the idea of these kind of posts, hence the thread i posted here.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I would love for you to provide an example of this ulstermonkey.

Why? You won't click on them anyway :lol:
SB wrote:
If i have ever posted an external link it has been to show an example of what i needed some help with

Exactly :iconthumbright:
SB wrote:
which is completely different to the link in that post.

Not it's not. The poster wanted users opinion of the idea at the said website. So you want him to put the websites concept into a post? The best way of relaying the concept is to view it at it's source - i.e. the actual website itself.

If you are too lazy/scared/sceptical/whatever to click on the link, chances are the user is better off without your opinion anyway. :salut:
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing I look at when someone posts a topic like the one SB is talking about, that has a link in it I always go look at the users webpage. Then the number of posts. If this was someone with less than 5 posts I would most likly report the topic for spam. But sence the poster had almost 50 posts I figgered he found the topic on another forum and posted it here to see what everone else thought.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts