Wireless

• GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe a wireless area. wireless is becomming the new "thing" so it popped into my head. if not can someone tell me where i could post questions about wireless??
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it is refereing to the equipment itself, such as a question about a wireless router, then it should go in the hardware section. If it is more along the lines of a configuration question, probably the Windows or Linux forums, depending on the OS.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

but what if you have a question about placement of a router or acess point? things along that line.

or maybe if i wanted to start a discussion about 802.11n or .11g?
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Discuss hardware such as motherboards, hard drives, memory, and computers in general.

And this doesnt say anything about routers, switches, gateways, hubs....ect. Maybe instead of a wireless section, incorporate network devices. that should include wireless and all of that stuff. and like you said, if its a software issue dealing with this stuff, put it in the OS that you use.

I mean OS doesnt matter in the placement of acess points or routers. and Hardware doesnt register to me as networking devices.
and all the new standards and protocols that are comming out should have an area to discuss them.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your idea is presented well, and not that I think it is a bad idea at all, but if you look in the hardware, there just isn't a large enough percentage of posts concerning networking to warrant it's own section.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

true. then where should i post my questions and start discussions about such equiptment?
i dont want to put it in the wrong place.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hardware would be the correct place for questions on tangible pieces of network equipment.
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many forums have a Networking Forum to handle both hardware and software networking topics.

I am a mod at one that does a good job of organizing/dividing up specific topics under forums: http://www.AmazingTechs.com
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

the main reason we don't have a networking section is because this is a webmaster forum, not a techy forum. Yes, networking is relevant, but not our focus. If you have a networking question, it's going to be either about the hardware itself or the OS you are using, which we have covered already. :)
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
the main reason we don't have a networking section is because this is a webmaster forum, not a techy forum. Yes, networking is relevant, but not our focus. If you have a networking question, it's going to be either about the hardware itself or the OS you are using, which we have covered already. Smile

awe... u just contradicted yourself. a techy is not just a person who has knowledge about networking devices. we are all techies here. anything computer oriented makes you a techy whether u like it or not. and if networking is relevant like you said, why not have an area dedicated to it? and knowledge of OS is not relevant to webmasters. and i know u guys will say it is, but look at what is being discussed in windows and unix/linux. 99% of it has nothing to do with web page design, graphic design, ect...
all i am trying to say, is it would be a good idea to either make Ozzu strictly webmaster, or broaden its horizons.
8)
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, uh, they do have a Windows forum, and other techie forums that have nada to do with webmastery, so I didn't really understand the answer either GS ... but then I am Irish and bred to be pretty stubborn when using the logical side of the gray matter ... at times :lol:
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

but u understand what i am saying right??
his answer was not right at all.
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeppers
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have often suggested a networking forum of sorts. In addition, I've also noticed that we still don't have a MAC forum, and I'm sure you've realized by now that UNFLUX is a proponent of MAC OS.

Even though, my forte trends towards network administration, I still have to agree with what UNFLUX said before about our focus. I wasn't here when it was created, so I can't speak for Bigwebmaster's initial intent for having the Windows and *Nix boards, but my thought behind it is that Webmaster's do sometimes have issues with their computers. And if you think about it, a large portion of issues surrounding web servers are going to be primarily based around either of those two platforms. In addition, the hardware board is also evidence that there is not a high demand for a Networking board. Otherwise it would be filled with networking hardware topics. And it's simply not. The recent discussion on Cat5 vs Cat 6 cable is the closest I've seen in a long time.

However, as UNFLUX noted, almost every question that we've had concerning Networking, can fall into one of those three existing forums. Hence, I no longer argue my point. I think this is an excellent suggestion and happy to see the conversation about it. Who knows, there may be a time when the needs of the members and the board itself dictates that we expand our purpose and what is offered, but for now the board is in pretty good shape. Believe me, the mods discuss the quality and nature of the board all the time, and I think you can feel quite certain that this suggestion will be remembered in the future.

I also, think I can safely stay that you can count on Bigwebmaster and the moderating team to ensure that the quality of OZZU remains high at all times and that the needs of the members are a high priority.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
However, as UNFLUX noted, almost every question that we've had concerning Networking, can fall into one of those three existing forums.

what if i wanted to start a discussion about .11n or .11g?? i just wanna know where to put it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose it depends, but more than likely, I'm going to assume that you would want to be discussing the physical aspects of implementing it? In which case hardware would be fine. If you wanted to discuss the logistics of security and management of it, Windows would probably be better (or Linux if you were hooking up a Linux network). In fact, that would probably be a great topic. (Yes, I'm not arguing that would fit neatly into a networking board, but it will work just fine in either of the existing ones, too).
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the problem i have with everyone telling me to put in one of the OS topics is that implementing a wireless network is not different for Linux/Unix than it is for Windows. the installation of the NIC is what would be different.
and the thread i am wanting to start is a discussion on opinions for the new .11n. that would not fit into any topic's currently. well at least not very neatly.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say start it in hardware. Depending on how the conversation goes, we can always move it if it looks like it would work better elsewhere. Given the obvious current lack of a specific networking board, that's the best thing I could suggest.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnx
i dont want to look like an idiot though and have it moved. :(
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should do just fine there, but if you feel at some point it will work better elsewhere, we'll let you make the request. Let the flow of the conversation determine.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok
thnx

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts