wish ozzu.com had a chat room

  • dhoyin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dhoyin
  • Posts: 126
  • Loc: west africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

i really wish this forum could have a chat room because so many times we actually need immediate reply to our post which we don't normally get. so if ozzu.com could have a chat that would just do it!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5739
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hit the search :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2997
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats not going to happen?

A chat room.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1517

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having a chat room would probably defeat the whole purpose of Ozzu using a "Bulletin Board" / "Message Board"
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 13502
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it's just me.
Don't chats always end up needing some sort of archiving ability, kinda like a forum ? :scratchhead:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5739
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

They rarely do, but they should if the website wants to receive ANY search-engine benefit from it.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 971
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best reason, imnsho, not to have a chat room:

"because so many times we actually need immediate reply to our post"

Sorry, but no. That's not how it works. That's the type of tech support for which companies charge money, by the minute, hour, or phone call. This is a community. We drop by, learn and contribute, whenever we've got the time.

Just imagined waltzing into said chat room one day, thinking, "Hmm... Maybe I can help out a bit, I've got a few minutes," and getting bombarded with questions because everyone's inquiry is absolutely urgent. *shudder*

- Gita
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1615

Post 3+ Months Ago

justG wrote:
The best reason, imnsho, not to have a chat room:

"because so many times we actually need immediate reply to our post"

Sorry, but no. That's not how it works. That's the type of tech support for which companies charge money, by the minute, hour, or phone call. This is a community. We drop by, learn and contribute, whenever we've got the time.

Just imagined waltzing into said chat room one day, thinking, "Hmm... Maybe I can help out a bit, I've got a few minutes," and getting bombarded with questions because everyone's inquiry is absolutely urgent. *shudder*

- Gita


Couldn't have said it better myself. :iconthumbleft:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2297
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i still think it would be pretty amusing... i mean heck, if u dont like it, you dont use it ;)
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1615

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
i still think it would be pretty amusing... i mean heck, if u dont like it, you dont use it ;)


Perhaps, but those people shiould be posting on OZZU instead! :evil: :lol:
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2297
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
Nucleo wrote:
i still think it would be pretty amusing... i mean heck, if u dont like it, you dont use it ;)


Perhaps, but those people shiould be posting on OZZU instead! :evil: :lol:


good point :P... another thing. It would have to be moderated worse than the forum itself. Unless the chat was somehow integrated with phpbb, making sure only registered members can post etc.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 3432
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run two forums, one has 5000 members and we have an IRC channel. But i dont plan on using that site to make money. On my other forum (substantially less members) i plan on using it to make money and would not use an IRC channel.

The reason being, i can't display adsense in IRC.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nucleo wrote:
another thing. It would have to be moderated worse than the forum itself.


Got that right. Been there done that. Not a fun job.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 971
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, and another thing! Unless the chat can be archived, and then the transcript be parsed for usable information (an abominable chore, no doubt), only those present in the room at any given time benefit from the response to a question. And that's just no fun.

- Gita
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5739
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's another thing? Cuz archiving was already mentioned ;)
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 971
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops:

Umm... Repetition for emphasis? =]
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 5739
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, that works :)

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.