If you could change one thing at Ozzu what would you change?

• Nightslyr
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Nightslyr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tutorials are a must, especially when it comes to cross-browser/platform compatibility issues. I'm a newb, and it seems there are a million and one hacks and tricks needed to make a site look good on most computer setups. Having those hacks and techniques in one place would be a great service to those of us trying to learn how to do things the right way the first time.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JustABob
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JustABob

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the colors as is!

The idea of faq's, or a knowledge base is a good one!

One thing that I think would help is actually splitting up the forums a little more - have one for css, another for php, one for perl - Another option is to have skill levels - have web questions by newbies, another for advanced topics.
When I used to work in .net, http://www.vbcity.com/forums/ had a nice setup.
  • rikahs
  • Born
  • Born
  • rikahs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Feedback. OK. I would take the Google ad out of the iframe. It actually scrolls and jumps at least at 800 X 600.

rikahs
  • lostboy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • lostboy
  • Loc: Just north of Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would I like to see more of? Perhaps splitting the coding forums into more separate forums, perhaps by languages or technologies to avoid having to scroll thru all those posts to find ones I can answer...other than that tutorial

PS I like the color scheme
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bump wrote:
When we give feedback on ozzu we are told that if we don't like how ozzu does things, go somewhere else.

*sigh*

So, the number one thing I would like to see is a change of attitude of some of the moderators.

The current attitude of some of the moderators is that ozzu has so many members that ozzu can afford to go without anyone that disagrees with ozzu policies and other such things.

Bompa

I pretty much stopped posting for the same reasons - I felt the site was being over-moderated and was quite heavy handed at times. I was never scolded myself, so this isn't based on me personally being in a snit. :) Too many of the moderators seemed to be on a bit of a power trip and enjoyed being, er, elevated over us peons. When this really started to get out of hand, the forum just seemed to lose its appeal for me.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some more color scheme...
  • MS-Addict
  • Born
  • Born
  • MS-Addict

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't think of one thing that would improve ozzu a lot, but the first thing that comes to mind would be some kind of headline feature showing something new --could be a tutorial for something useful (the type of thing that is useful because it saves time), maybe just tips on something very specific like tips for uses of loops in java.
  • BeyondFate
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BeyondFate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I believe Ozzu is amazing. The amount of people that are willing to take time out of their lives to help others with what they need is awesome.

To make Ozzu better I believe that new sections should be created to allow the sections to be only for and full of tutorials for many different things.

This will help expand the knowledge of many, and those many will then be able to help others in the future.

Fate
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the tutorial idea.. I think adding a section for tutorials and allow users to upload their own would be a good idea.
  • tonymartin123
  • tonymartin123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi bwm

Thanks for your message. I must say that you are doing a great jobI am quite satisfied with the site. Best wishes
  • stephelton
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should hope to see this post become a poll in the future! However, I would very much like to see tutorials be published, and NOT under the forum. This is one of the best forums I've found in terms of active membership, but I think people grow wary of digging through forums for information - even when it's stickied.

I'd also like to see more on the graphics side, maybe a forum for photoshop / illustrator / gIMP (heaven forbid you forsake the gimp)

I'd say that, above all, you should reach beyond the forum.
  • TheOne
  • TheOne

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller wrote:
i would like to see ozzu get bigger, full site.. such as by adding:
tutorials
free templates
news on tech stuff (rss or something)
and only members can see this or download templates or something like that

QFT. :wink:
  • ads_40
  • Born
  • Born
  • ads_40

Post 3+ Months Ago

i havn't got a problem really with the site, i herd there was a tutorial on here that could have been useful and i needed to subscribe then i didnt use it but ill have a look around and see whats what :)

iv just subscribed to the compotitions group so mayb that will get me into it :)

chao for now
  • proglead
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All...

Well frankly speaking I too agree with most of the people out here who say that the skin/theme of the forums need to be changed and something brighter should be used instead and if possible the look n feel of the forums should be changed on regular basis...just to add that extra ooomph to the forums :) ... basically I personally find black n grey very dull for forums ;)

Otherwise its fine overall :)

thanx n regards
  • SolveIt
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SolveIt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the look and feel could be improved. Specifically the black color. It always seems like when the web first started years back, all the "programmer" type site were ALWAYS black. It is such an uninviting color and unless there is a specific reason related to the identity of OZZU (which I am doubting), I say GET RID OF THE BLACK (and grey)! =)

I love this site and the people are very helpful, so improving the look will only help me to come back more! =)
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'd fall into the category of "used to be an active poster, now, not so much". I guess the forum just lost its appeal. There was one moderation incident while back that changed my perspective of the forum and clearly outlined that there was a difference between mods and regular posters, basically saying its "our way or the highway".

With some exceptions, I dont think some of the mod's have any business being in their position and the mod selection process needs to be revamped. I look at some of the regular posters here who have demonstrated their skills and wonder why someone else got chosen as a mod instead of them. Some mod's barely contribute to their respective threads, aside from locking/editing/deleting a few posts here and there. I feel a definite bias "behind the scenes". The forum has taken on a high school atmosphere, in that, there are cliques, you're either in or out.

Aside from moderation, the topics have become redundant and the posts are becoming more ridiculous. I personally dont reply to a lot of issues because I know they can be resolved with a simple google search, the posters are just lazy. This place just isnt as fun anymore, its like working at a help desk with no benefits. If changes are going to made, they have to start from the top. Changing color schemes and adding tutorials wont fix anything.
  • Rodd1s
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see someone already wrote something similar to what I was thinking of. Some people might say that Ozzu should expand so it contains templates, tutorials etc etc. instead to make life easier, it should have an area where links to various sources to other web pages with templates tutorials etc on them. And maybe also a way to point out freelance web designers if thats not already been done, but i havnt been using Ozzu for too long yet.
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've read thjrough some of the posts here and I agree with ringmaster, cowkiller, and i'm sure many others. I would like to see a more fuller site, not just a forum. I would include things like this:

* tutorials in various categories (i.e: from basic computer operation to coding PHP or step by step information on obtaining a web host, domain etc. and things related to starting your own website)

* website templates

* downloads for webmasters (i.e. HTML/PHP editors, code snippets to use in a site, like guestbooks, counters, forms etc.)

* Commonly used system tools for download (i.e winzip or a defrag program) - to have these all in once place and be able to see people's comments about them

thats all that comes to mind for now but i am sure i will get more ideas
  • Cynic
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cynic
  • Loc: Coventry UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bit overwhelmed to be asked this as I'm a very recent entrant. Forgive me if I reserve judgement -- but first reaction is surprise at warmth of welcome.
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Loc: South East England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definatly a tutorial section
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm..my thoughts: this is a webmaster forum, theres a web design forum, coding, windows, linux....but no server forum. you can run apache on both linux and windows, but when you have a problem - it may not always apply to the operating system as much as it does the software. of course, the software is made specifically for that system, but theres other technologies related to web servers too. so i think there should be a 'servers' forum. i've even pm'd a mod about a link to a site with a good tutorial for setting up apache, mysql, jsp, and php in windows ( http://mpcon.org/apacheguide/ ) but i'm unsure as to if the mod read it let alone acknowledged it before deletion as i got no response and saw nothing come of it. lol :)

also, a more 'full-fledged' website would improve ozzu. IMHO it'd increase traffic and utility for the site. either that or also like previously posted, an area that contains links to these resources elsewhere. i agree it would greatly relieve the amount of work needed for making all the pages. however, i'm sure there are people (myself included) that wouldn't mind helping produce the more robust ozzu. but in any case, more resources are good :)

p.s. i like the theme, lol
  • Donnerschlag
  • Donnerschlag

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make it easier to find tutorials and help. Make it a full site kinda like Pixel2life.com but just for getting help and making scripts. Thats what I would want Ozzu to be like =P
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think some kind of tutorial section should be implemented. If users could submit tutorials and have them validated by Moderators it would give even more help than it does. I know your not exactly short of traffic, but some of these tutorials could be submitted to tutorial sites such as Pixel2Life and Good-Tutorials.
  • IsaacSchlueter
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change up the color scheme, or implement user-selected skins (I believe phpBB has this functionality built-in.)

Gray on black is hard on the eyes. I always use the "Disable Page Colors" option of firefox's web developer toolbar when I come here. Some people may like it, but personally, it seems very 1992 - it looks cool, but it's hard to read, and thus not the best decision. After all, web design is about solving problems and accomplishing goals - making a pretty hip picture is only of value when it is effective. The goal here is to get people to read and write, but the color scheme isn't optimized for this.

Install the default phpBB theme, and let us switch if we want to.
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start seo Group for Indian people in Hindi language…….
  • Tristan_Merz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Capital Region [TechValley] NY, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:wink: (This post's contents are here because of the open request above, the seminal top of thread, and only because of that; also: it is not impossible that some persons are more "honest"/open than others.)

I like to post at Ozzu and at a very few other specific BBoards/portals. The one thing -- if it were to change at the one source [Ozzu] of two [#2 = me] that this Q relates to -- is people finding it a directive or a Good Thing to let people say/ask things in ways that are not necessarily good tech writing parsimonious and organized as though English is subject only to good coding conventions. Sometimes that is very good English; sometimes not.

I have not posted here for awhile exactly because I felt unnecessary and possibly wrong-minded (and even, though unlikely, mean-spirited or hazing-intensive 'flame'-baiting) criticism for how I asked a question -- even though the meaning was clear. Sometimes "wordy" is good. There are computer scientists who write like poets. Great! What a dull forum this would be if we were all the same in too many ways.

If there is more willingness to concede [The "One Change" in the forum I'm advocating for, perhaps, in the form of a memorandum or something else (not_memorandum) that worked;] that boded well for future expression in English promoted from this point on, and evincing awareness of value in well-intentioned exploration of infinite variability in "style" because 'IT' is for humans, and, so: recognition of that part of philosophy called semiotics, as it explores potentialities of communication -- all of the answers and jurors to which are not yet in, I would post much more often. Sometimes avoiding pleonasm, even, like Bird Flu! (if it served purpose = 0.)

As a matter of fact I've been wanting to post hardware and software and SEO topics here for months, but have not because I have a problem with people who don't play well {read: Interact, [please avoid that tired old Straw Man Argument by not telling me "it's not about 'playing' and ... yadda yadda (point intentionally missed) yadda"]} with others, when I do -- I know what that's about; and I expect other people to, at minimum, try to listen to a post rather than find any possible way to criticize it: and in my case I go balistic (privately, alone, in a field) when IT_Onlys can't handle Both_IT_&_Liberal_Arts citizens. Oppenheimer and D.E. Knuth seem to have operated well in both arenas or lobes or on psychometric paper; and, yes, in laterally crossing-over at, to some, funny exception_throw times.

Any errors are not my fault. :-)

T.M.
  • Gary7
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gary7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change the color scheme!! It is akin to adult sites, and just plain 'ol hard to read.
I would recommend dispensing with the dragon icon (seahorse?), while it is "cool", it is somewhat threatening -- definite appeal to the "Final fantasy gen.

Again -- color scheme!!

Gary7
  • hankhill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: On the hill!!! Where else?

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would I change? errr ummmm.....

Not a damn thing!

I love the layout, the color scheme, the unobtrusive google ads, the forum software, and most of all the people on here that help others.

I also love the website review section, that rocks!

This is the only board I go to for website related stuff due to the above items..

Keep up the great work!!
  • alexlimbert
  • Born
  • Born
  • alexlimbert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is the dark color of the background. I would like a ligher background.
  • mishka
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mishka
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, thanks for applying to get mine feedback... and certainly there many things to improve but... being more focused I would suggest to add to every every forum type a FAQ folder managed by a professional expert in this particular area of interest. I think many of posts espessially from the 'beginners' are recycled and just formulated in deffferent way so it would save them a tons of time on one hand, and on the other hand they can get a short feedback on request like "You may find the answer to your post in our FAQ folder" + appropriated link to it.
Also, considering implementation of some kind of search engine would be very effective for any user.
Regards,
M.D.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 382 posts