If you could change one thing at Ozzu what would you change?

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you could change ONLY one thing at Ozzu what would you change?

I am looking for feedback to help determine what the most important issues with ozzu are right now. Please only state the most important thing that YOU would want changed or added. I would like this limited to ONE PER MEMBER so that I can get a good feel what is the most important overall to members. Do not respond to other posts here. Please only state what you would want changed and if you need to you may edit your post. If you post more than once your post may be merged/deleted. If someone has already mentioned the exact one thing what you want changed PLEASE do repeat it in your own words again. This will give me an idea what members think are most essential.

If you are not a very active member at ozzu it would be most helpful if you could really give your feedback. Maybe explain what would make you more active at ozzu if something was changed.

If you used to be active at Ozzu but left for a reason due to how something goes on here please do not hesitate to voice your thoughts.

If you have just never been very active here and you think there is something essential that could be changed to resolve this, please do post.

Finally if you feel nothing needs to be changed (unlikely), then you are welcome to say that.

I really appreciate all the feedback from members on this post. While I would like to improve all sorts of areas on ozzu, I would like to start with the most important first. I would like to get a feel for what is most essential to members.

Thank you,

Brian
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• r0bin
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gah.. I haven't used this forum for a long time. I read some of my old posts and I feel like such a newb.

I guess if I could change ONE thing it would be the colour scheme, but that's all down to tastes and what skins you happen to have installed.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now thanks bwm for asking our input i was begining to think you forgot us...lol.. If i could change one thing it would be the mod select process i think the final decision should be left to you but i think that all the members should vote and give a brief description on why or why not they think that mod should be. Cause if you think about it when you become a mod its because of your contribution to ozzu but not all members feel the same. i personally love the mod staff you picked but for the future if possible i would like to be able and vote and voice my opion. Thanks for your time.
  • ringmaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • ringmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obviously, but I don't remember why.

I'm not even sure what Ozzu is about. Is it about being a webmaster? I suppose that looking around for a few minutes would yield some answers, but that's what leads me to tell you the one thing that I would like to change about Ozzu is that the site is nothing but phpBB.

Put something on the front of your site that pulls the cream from the message boards, and perhaps I would stick around to read a few other things. As it stands - as I'm sure is the case for many folks for do webmastering for a living - I just don't have the time to poke through a ton of forum posts looking for something that might be interesting.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would like to see ozzu get bigger, full site.. such as by adding:
tutorials
free templates
news on tech stuff (rss or something)
and only members can see this or download templates or something like that
newsletter
EDIT:
add light and dark thems
EDIT 2:
an email when you made to to a new post count name such as mastermind
  • Bompa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippine Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd that I have been asked for feedback.

When we give feedback on ozzu we are told that if we don't like how ozzu does things, go somewhere else.

*sigh*

So, the number one thing I would like to see is a change of attitude of some of the moderators.

Sure, they are generally very helpful and skillfull, and no doubt, they are trusted by you, but I think they need a checkup from the neckup when it comes to tactifullness, diplomacy, and customer relations.

In fact, if the moderators could see the members as "valuable customers", of which ozzu can not afford to lose, that would be a big improvement.

The current attitude of some of the moderators is that ozzu has so many members that ozzu can afford to go without anyone that disagrees with ozzu policies and other such things.

Bompa
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know you just asked for 1 thing, but I've never been one to go along with the rules - so I'll just prioritize:

1. Tutorials - this site needs tutorials on just about everything. Most of the members here are fumbling their way around just to get stuff running. I think it would be invaluable to have a series of "the right way to do things" tutorials for them to read.

2. OK, I don't actually expect to see this - the heuristics would be a nightmare, but a special forum category which showed the most often asked questions (with answers) would blow away everyone else. Personally, I think this would be a blast to write. Plus, you'd do away with alot of the "This question has been asked 50,000 times, please use the search functions" responses. Actually, until you got the hueristics engine worked out, mods could manually add topics to the right categories.

On the issue of colors, I personally like Ozzu's color scheme, I have to look at white screens of data all day - the black and grey is refreshing. Perhaps allow theme switching and install more themes, but allow me to keep my black and grey.
  • LordArnell
  • LordArnell
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, after not being around for a while, I see that not much has changed (with respect to the actual site, not the posts/topics etc) but I think having more then one skin or theme would go a long way to making the site better in my honest opinion.

BTW, for those of you who might remember me, I was used to go by the moniker of LordArnell... Just in case anybody asks.
  • JakSmit
  • JakSmit
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

colour scheme. somethig easier on the eyes, like a white background or something?
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello bwm,

Thank you for the invitation to give feedback.

I would like to see some CSS tutorials in the web design forum.

Thank you BWM.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm with Rabid Dog and cowkiller.
I'd add tutorials. Defenetly coding challenges!
Maybe bigger monthly or quarerly contests with prizes.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Tutorials and a code / application repository.
2. Coding challenges! I am dying to see how the pros around here solve problems
3. Some form of loyalty program, not $$$ but just something so the individual feels like he / she is a valued member of Ozzu. Also so newer members know to take them seriously.
4. TERRIBLE QUESTIONS: I personally haven't made any productive posts in a long time because the questions being posted are really horrible and the user feed back from a reply is non existent. The suggestion above of having a most frequently asked questions thingy would be great

Leave the skin. If you switch it to white I will never come back LOL, I look at way to much white all day!
  • Archaic Sage
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Archaic Sage
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would change the forum by giving it more of a definitive feel. When I come here, which is frequent, I just don't post much, I never get the feel that the site knows what it is. It just has no overall identity. Try giving it some.

Also, articles/tutorials and interviews would be pretty cool.

Maybe a news feed from the various tech feeds across the web. But that's not really important.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Ozzu is a great website that is let down by some small areas. One area that i have failed to see any point is the "Test" forum. Whilst i am all for people trying things out before using that new found knowledge in another forum, i cannot see why people dont just click "preview" before submitting their post with the new fancy thing they are trying. Instead there is a forum dedicated for people to do this (or spam, as i tend to view it as) yet there isnt a forum that deals with certain legal issues regarding websites (something i have always felt Ozzu could provide).

The colour of the site is fine. White is...not to offend anyone here...but a bit boring and original.

//managed to post again. Couldnt before for some reason. Will explain in new topic.
  • .soulty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lost in Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

ozzu is a nice site, personally ive been 'out of the scene' for a while for anything serious in the graphic/web world. Looking from an outside perspective since i havent been here for a while, the look of the forum could do with a layout revamp (no disrespect to who did this layout).

As a designer myself i see inner glows and bevels on a graphic / logos and cant help to not take the site seriously. Identity and a overall revamped look will get some more respect and more understanding on what the site is about.

Your content here is fine, you cover alot of areas which is great and like some others have said tutorial and articles are a good idea since they will bring alot of traffic in.
  • IMMORTAL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd probably change the name. I know it's superficial, but the name OZZU doesn't seem to be related to WEBMASTER FORUM.

If the word OZZU is some underground term for something that I am oblivious to; then please someone educate me.

Other than that, I think this website is the best of all fourms for anyone who uses/works with computers. There are a lot of knowledgable people who log onto this site daily, and the dragon up top looks really sweet.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can think of nothing I'd change, not even colours. Ozzu has served me well and people are helpful. I've found it very user friendly, especially as I don't use forums much, so am always a novice here.

I am not an expert at anything so can offer little to members but I have received willing help from people and appreciate it. When seeking help, I check to see if I can answer any queries, on very rare occasions I can but others can to, probably better, so I'm afraid I gain more than I give.

Ozzu is an excellent forum with members who are very obliging and friendly. I recommend it to others.

Ceri
  • MeineChrista
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Virginia Beach

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, I think OZZU is great. It's helped me a lot -- so many times. When I get stuck I come here and I'm usually pointed in the right direction. :oops:

What might be even better is breaking down the different areas of programming into programming sections, i.e.

PHP
Javascript
vbscript
asp and asp.net
C#

This might make it easier to browse the post and it might cut down on redundant posts. If what I am looking for is already posted, I might be able to get the answers I need simply by reading what's already there.
  • deamothul
  • deamothul
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

The dark color scheme is keeping me from comming back i think. Its just too dark, it should be a lot lighter i think. 8)
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would add a "code snippets" section.

Do you see at the bottom of php.net, how people add code snippets for each php function? http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php

I would like to see a searchable code snippets section where users can upload a snippet of code that does this or that.

There are websites for php, for javascript, for cpp, but a general "webmaster code do stuff" section would be cool.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see searches improved. I've used this site for 2 yrs. and only a hand full of times have I been able to find what I was looking for using the search function. Eventhough I know it's out there.

I love this site though. I'm a professional web developer, and this site has been an invaluable tool in helping me along the way. I've been working as a programmer for 2 + yrs., and I can't begin to thank the members of this site enough for all the knowledge they've passed along!

Wonderful site overall...I really love the layout and functionality. Just would like to see the searches improve.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would absolutely love to see the quick reply box become a revokable privledge in certain categories.

Too many times have I thought to myself "If they had to make that extra click to open their mouth, would they have ?"
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see a better dictionary file installed for the spell check mod. Too many times I will misspell something, and the spell checker will see that it is spelled wrong, but will present no suggestions. So then I have to copy and paste everything into Write to figure it out.
  • tedmistro
  • Born
  • Born
  • tedmistro

Post 3+ Months Ago

The one thing I would change: Orginization.

I. Add in a section for beginning, under this I would put file download,
directory structure, componet links/downloads, config file editing.

II Programming componets--Projects people are taking on, special resources for these and help pages for these.

III Turtorials--How to use PHP, how to install etc.

VI. help and support sites, manif sites, and php download sites. More options for PHP

V. Tech and News--What is happening, on topic only

IV. General forum. For all the rest.

Over all I found all the answers I was looking for, but it took a lot of time to find them. I feel the site could become the leader if some changes to orginization could be made. This is of course my opinion and I will always Keep the site on my favorites if everything or nothing is changed.
  • mallorymaloney
  • mallorymaloney

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I could change one thing?

Well, I left because all the oldies here were, well, bitches to me.

So if I could change one thing, it'd be for certain people around here to have some respect for forum newbies.

I mean, just because I am/was a newbie to this forum, doesn't mean I'm a newbie to forums or the Internet in general.

kthx.

That's all.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like it has been said previously, expand into a full service site with tutorials and such. Still center the site around the forum though.
  • amabaie
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Brian. The one thing I would change is the one thing that would make a difference between posting once every few months and posting pretty much every week: automatic notification of all new threads in forums I choose to subscribe to.

There is only one board that does this well. Despite being a member of several dozen boards, at least 50% of my postings are at High Rankings forums. I have subscribed to three or four of their forums, and with every new post, I receive an email with the complete text of the original post, and a link to view it online (where there is often already a lively discussion going on). Is High Rankings better than its competition? It is good, but there are other good SEO forums. But those email notifications pull me in.

Ozzu is in my esteem one of the better webmaster forums, with a good mix of participants, and I would participate more if I could preview topics in my inbox. I certainly would be available to bring forward good SEO advice and would eagerly sap up some of the tips people offer in other areas.

I hope this is helpful (and I hope you take up my suggestion!). :)
  • SKATER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

it has been a long time since I was last here. I think the reason that I haven't been back is due to 2 things. first lack of time. second, I lost all my favorites in a HD crash and just haven't bothered getting back here. I have had no qualms w/ anyone or anything here. Thanks for asking my opinion.
  • GuyFromChicago
  • GuyFromChicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I honestly didn't even realize I was a member here until I received a notification of a new PM. I participate in a lot of webmaster forums though so it's not surprising when I forget one or two :wink:

I've spent the last half hour or so browsing through the forum to get a feel for what this place is all about. Two things came to mind while browsing:

1) The dark look here reminds me of a video game forum, not a webmaster forum. A lighter look would give the forum a more preofessional appearance.

2) Some of the mods here need to go to mod school - telling people "if you don't like it go elsewhere" surely isn't helpful for the community. It's one thing when a member says something like that to another member but it's another story when it's a mod acting that way. This thread is a good example. There are dozens of other large, popular webmaster forums out there that would be happy to take the people you're telling to "go elsewhere". Treating members with respect goes a long way in the forum community.

I guess ultimately you need to ask yourself this question - who's more important to the community? A few mods with attitude issues or the members of the community?
  • apply75
  • Born
  • Born
  • apply75
  • Loc: nyc

Post 3+ Months Ago

the color...I dont like black sites...like a white background
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago