If you could change one thing at Ozzu what would you change?

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you could change ONLY one thing at Ozzu what would you change?

I am looking for feedback to help determine what the most important issues with ozzu are right now. Please only state the most important thing that YOU would want changed or added. I would like this limited to ONE PER MEMBER so that I can get a good feel what is the most important overall to members. Do not respond to other posts here. Please only state what you would want changed and if you need to you may edit your post. If you post more than once your post may be merged/deleted. If someone has already mentioned the exact one thing what you want changed PLEASE do repeat it in your own words again. This will give me an idea what members think are most essential.

If you are not a very active member at ozzu it would be most helpful if you could really give your feedback. Maybe explain what would make you more active at ozzu if something was changed.

If you used to be active at Ozzu but left for a reason due to how something goes on here please do not hesitate to voice your thoughts.

If you have just never been very active here and you think there is something essential that could be changed to resolve this, please do post.

Finally if you feel nothing needs to be changed (unlikely), then you are welcome to say that.

I really appreciate all the feedback from members on this post. While I would like to improve all sorts of areas on ozzu, I would like to start with the most important first. I would like to get a feel for what is most essential to members.

Thank you,

Brian
  • r0bin
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gah.. I haven't used this forum for a long time. I read some of my old posts and I feel like such a newb.

I guess if I could change ONE thing it would be the colour scheme, but that's all down to tastes and what skins you happen to have installed.
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now thanks bwm for asking our input i was begining to think you forgot us...lol.. If i could change one thing it would be the mod select process i think the final decision should be left to you but i think that all the members should vote and give a brief description on why or why not they think that mod should be. Cause if you think about it when you become a mod its because of your contribution to ozzu but not all members feel the same. i personally love the mod staff you picked but for the future if possible i would like to be able and vote and voice my opion. Thanks for your time.
  • ringmaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • ringmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obviously, but I don't remember why.

I'm not even sure what Ozzu is about. Is it about being a webmaster? I suppose that looking around for a few minutes would yield some answers, but that's what leads me to tell you the one thing that I would like to change about Ozzu is that the site is nothing but phpBB.

Put something on the front of your site that pulls the cream from the message boards, and perhaps I would stick around to read a few other things. As it stands - as I'm sure is the case for many folks for do webmastering for a living - I just don't have the time to poke through a ton of forum posts looking for something that might be interesting.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would like to see ozzu get bigger, full site.. such as by adding:
tutorials
free templates
news on tech stuff (rss or something)
and only members can see this or download templates or something like that
newsletter
EDIT:
add light and dark thems
EDIT 2:
an email when you made to to a new post count name such as mastermind
  • Bompa
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippine Islands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd that I have been asked for feedback.

When we give feedback on ozzu we are told that if we don't like how ozzu does things, go somewhere else.

*sigh*

So, the number one thing I would like to see is a change of attitude of some of the moderators.

Sure, they are generally very helpful and skillfull, and no doubt, they are trusted by you, but I think they need a checkup from the neckup when it comes to tactifullness, diplomacy, and customer relations.

In fact, if the moderators could see the members as "valuable customers", of which ozzu can not afford to lose, that would be a big improvement.

The current attitude of some of the moderators is that ozzu has so many members that ozzu can afford to go without anyone that disagrees with ozzu policies and other such things.

Bompa
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know you just asked for 1 thing, but I've never been one to go along with the rules - so I'll just prioritize:

1. Tutorials - this site needs tutorials on just about everything. Most of the members here are fumbling their way around just to get stuff running. I think it would be invaluable to have a series of "the right way to do things" tutorials for them to read.

2. OK, I don't actually expect to see this - the heuristics would be a nightmare, but a special forum category which showed the most often asked questions (with answers) would blow away everyone else. Personally, I think this would be a blast to write. Plus, you'd do away with alot of the "This question has been asked 50,000 times, please use the search functions" responses. Actually, until you got the hueristics engine worked out, mods could manually add topics to the right categories.

On the issue of colors, I personally like Ozzu's color scheme, I have to look at white screens of data all day - the black and grey is refreshing. Perhaps allow theme switching and install more themes, but allow me to keep my black and grey.
  • LordArnell
  • LordArnell
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, after not being around for a while, I see that not much has changed (with respect to the actual site, not the posts/topics etc) but I think having more then one skin or theme would go a long way to making the site better in my honest opinion.

BTW, for those of you who might remember me, I was used to go by the moniker of LordArnell... Just in case anybody asks.
  • JakSmit
  • JakSmit
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

colour scheme. somethig easier on the eyes, like a white background or something?
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello bwm,

Thank you for the invitation to give feedback.

I would like to see some CSS tutorials in the web design forum.

Thank you BWM.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm with Rabid Dog and cowkiller.
I'd add tutorials. Defenetly coding challenges!
Maybe bigger monthly or quarerly contests with prizes.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Tutorials and a code / application repository.
2. Coding challenges! I am dying to see how the pros around here solve problems
3. Some form of loyalty program, not $$$ but just something so the individual feels like he / she is a valued member of Ozzu. Also so newer members know to take them seriously.
4. TERRIBLE QUESTIONS: I personally haven't made any productive posts in a long time because the questions being posted are really horrible and the user feed back from a reply is non existent. The suggestion above of having a most frequently asked questions thingy would be great

Leave the skin. If you switch it to white I will never come back LOL, I look at way to much white all day!
  • Archaic Sage
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Archaic Sage

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would change the forum by giving it more of a definitive feel. When I come here, which is frequent, I just don't post much, I never get the feel that the site knows what it is. It just has no overall identity. Try giving it some.

Also, articles/tutorials and interviews would be pretty cool.

Maybe a news feed from the various tech feeds across the web. But that's not really important.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Ozzu is a great website that is let down by some small areas. One area that i have failed to see any point is the "Test" forum. Whilst i am all for people trying things out before using that new found knowledge in another forum, i cannot see why people dont just click "preview" before submitting their post with the new fancy thing they are trying. Instead there is a forum dedicated for people to do this (or spam, as i tend to view it as) yet there isnt a forum that deals with certain legal issues regarding websites (something i have always felt Ozzu could provide).

The colour of the site is fine. White is...not to offend anyone here...but a bit boring and original.

//managed to post again. Couldnt before for some reason. Will explain in new topic.
  • .soulty
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Lost in Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

ozzu is a nice site, personally ive been 'out of the scene' for a while for anything serious in the graphic/web world. Looking from an outside perspective since i havent been here for a while, the look of the forum could do with a layout revamp (no disrespect to who did this layout).

As a designer myself i see inner glows and bevels on a graphic / logos and cant help to not take the site seriously. Identity and a overall revamped look will get some more respect and more understanding on what the site is about.

Your content here is fine, you cover alot of areas which is great and like some others have said tutorial and articles are a good idea since they will bring alot of traffic in.
  • IMMORTAL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd probably change the name. I know it's superficial, but the name OZZU doesn't seem to be related to WEBMASTER FORUM.

If the word OZZU is some underground term for something that I am oblivious to; then please someone educate me.

Other than that, I think this website is the best of all fourms for anyone who uses/works with computers. There are a lot of knowledgable people who log onto this site daily, and the dragon up top looks really sweet.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can think of nothing I'd change, not even colours. Ozzu has served me well and people are helpful. I've found it very user friendly, especially as I don't use forums much, so am always a novice here.

I am not an expert at anything so can offer little to members but I have received willing help from people and appreciate it. When seeking help, I check to see if I can answer any queries, on very rare occasions I can but others can to, probably better, so I'm afraid I gain more than I give.

Ozzu is an excellent forum with members who are very obliging and friendly. I recommend it to others.

Ceri
  • MeineChrista
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Virginia Beach

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all, I think OZZU is great. It's helped me a lot -- so many times. When I get stuck I come here and I'm usually pointed in the right direction. :oops:

What might be even better is breaking down the different areas of programming into programming sections, i.e.

PHP
Javascript
vbscript
asp and asp.net
C#

This might make it easier to browse the post and it might cut down on redundant posts. If what I am looking for is already posted, I might be able to get the answers I need simply by reading what's already there.
  • deamothul
  • deamothul
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

The dark color scheme is keeping me from comming back i think. Its just too dark, it should be a lot lighter i think. 8)
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would add a "code snippets" section.

Do you see at the bottom of php.net, how people add code snippets for each php function? http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.strftime.php

I would like to see a searchable code snippets section where users can upload a snippet of code that does this or that.

There are websites for php, for javascript, for cpp, but a general "webmaster code do stuff" section would be cool.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see searches improved. I've used this site for 2 yrs. and only a hand full of times have I been able to find what I was looking for using the search function. Eventhough I know it's out there.

I love this site though. I'm a professional web developer, and this site has been an invaluable tool in helping me along the way. I've been working as a programmer for 2 + yrs., and I can't begin to thank the members of this site enough for all the knowledge they've passed along!

Wonderful site overall...I really love the layout and functionality. Just would like to see the searches improve.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would absolutely love to see the quick reply box become a revokable privledge in certain categories.

Too many times have I thought to myself "If they had to make that extra click to open their mouth, would they have ?"
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see a better dictionary file installed for the spell check mod. Too many times I will misspell something, and the spell checker will see that it is spelled wrong, but will present no suggestions. So then I have to copy and paste everything into Write to figure it out.
  • tedmistro
  • Born
  • Born
  • tedmistro

Post 3+ Months Ago

The one thing I would change: Orginization.

I. Add in a section for beginning, under this I would put file download,
directory structure, componet links/downloads, config file editing.

II Programming componets--Projects people are taking on, special resources for these and help pages for these.

III Turtorials--How to use PHP, how to install etc.

VI. help and support sites, manif sites, and php download sites. More options for PHP

V. Tech and News--What is happening, on topic only

IV. General forum. For all the rest.

Over all I found all the answers I was looking for, but it took a lot of time to find them. I feel the site could become the leader if some changes to orginization could be made. This is of course my opinion and I will always Keep the site on my favorites if everything or nothing is changed.
  • mallorymaloney
  • mallorymaloney

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I could change one thing?

Well, I left because all the oldies here were, well, bitches to me.

So if I could change one thing, it'd be for certain people around here to have some respect for forum newbies.

I mean, just because I am/was a newbie to this forum, doesn't mean I'm a newbie to forums or the Internet in general.

kthx.

That's all.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like it has been said previously, expand into a full service site with tutorials and such. Still center the site around the forum though.
  • amabaie
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Brian. The one thing I would change is the one thing that would make a difference between posting once every few months and posting pretty much every week: automatic notification of all new threads in forums I choose to subscribe to.

There is only one board that does this well. Despite being a member of several dozen boards, at least 50% of my postings are at High Rankings forums. I have subscribed to three or four of their forums, and with every new post, I receive an email with the complete text of the original post, and a link to view it online (where there is often already a lively discussion going on). Is High Rankings better than its competition? It is good, but there are other good SEO forums. But those email notifications pull me in.

Ozzu is in my esteem one of the better webmaster forums, with a good mix of participants, and I would participate more if I could preview topics in my inbox. I certainly would be available to bring forward good SEO advice and would eagerly sap up some of the tips people offer in other areas.

I hope this is helpful (and I hope you take up my suggestion!). :)
  • SKATER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

it has been a long time since I was last here. I think the reason that I haven't been back is due to 2 things. first lack of time. second, I lost all my favorites in a HD crash and just haven't bothered getting back here. I have had no qualms w/ anyone or anything here. Thanks for asking my opinion.
  • GuyFromChicago
  • GuyFromChicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I honestly didn't even realize I was a member here until I received a notification of a new PM. I participate in a lot of webmaster forums though so it's not surprising when I forget one or two :wink:

I've spent the last half hour or so browsing through the forum to get a feel for what this place is all about. Two things came to mind while browsing:

1) The dark look here reminds me of a video game forum, not a webmaster forum. A lighter look would give the forum a more preofessional appearance.

2) Some of the mods here need to go to mod school - telling people "if you don't like it go elsewhere" surely isn't helpful for the community. It's one thing when a member says something like that to another member but it's another story when it's a mod acting that way. This thread is a good example. There are dozens of other large, popular webmaster forums out there that would be happy to take the people you're telling to "go elsewhere". Treating members with respect goes a long way in the forum community.

I guess ultimately you need to ask yourself this question - who's more important to the community? A few mods with attitude issues or the members of the community?
  • apply75
  • Born
  • Born
  • apply75
  • Loc: nyc

Post 3+ Months Ago

the color...I dont like black sites...like a white background
  • Christian_SEO
  • Loc: Minneapolis MN USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My eyes are not very good anymore and I would like more contrast for the text. If the white text was bold, it would really help. Or a bigger font. I see that the browser font controls do not work. Perhaps a JS/CSS button that can make adjustments for those that need it....?

I didn't realize you had so much content, and I found several posts I could respond to in just a few minutes of looking around.

Based on some other posts and one in particular that was somewhat abusive and uncalled for, I think you need to keep the standards high for what is acceptable and what is not in professional behavior.
  • msdivine
  • Born
  • Born
  • msdivine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truthfully, I am not sure what I would change. The site seems quite informative to me.
Perhaps a section on tech job listings or tips..
  • mdk7281972
  • mdk7281972

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this forum. I t has a lot of good information you can't really find anywhere else. I haven't been here much because I haven't had much problem with my computer lately to tell you the truth...
  • hotsacoman
  • Born
  • Born
  • hotsacoman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I posted a poll where people voted on how Nvidia Sucks. The two choices given were YES IT DOES and YES IT DOES. 6 people voted for both making Nvidia suck 6 times as much. For me, any site that gives one the option to make two of the choices the same is great, even if the site doesn't have a purpose in the first place. So lets just say the purpose of this site is to give users the ability to create polls with similar choices. OZZU rocks!
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've broken the rules before, why not do it again right?

My "one and only" suggestion would be to expand the site. Perhaps offer (as a few have mentioned before) a script repository, maybe a Javascript and/or CSS test ground (kind of like w3schools.com has).

Other things that bug me:
- Not being able to use HTML. This means I have to use hyphens instead of a list. Why not use a regular expression and filter out any that will harm the forum?
- More color schemes. Sometimes the dark colors don't do me well.
- RSS Feeds on posts and forums. This would eliminate the need for the watch this topic feature that forces me to click the link and load the page to see if I want to even respond.
- Someone said it before, but I have a slightly different view on it. The site could me more organized. Perhaps add a few more categories, and change the description on a few. I don't know how many times I have wondered whether to post a topic in the Web Hosting forum, Web Design Forum, or the Programming Forum because it had to do with HTACCESS....which is related them all.
- Mods, mods, mods. Well, because I don't mind singling people out, Axe, Axe, Axe and Jessica, Jessica, Jessica. I read that post someone had linked to a bit back about rude admins, and I must say, that is ridiculous.
- Lastly, and NOT ANY LESS IMPORTANT, Mailbox space. Especially in the era where Google and Yahoo are offering 1GB+ of mailbox space, our pathetic TEXT ONLY message limit that uses up maybe 100KB of space is harsh. I hate having to DELETE GOOD INFORMATION so someone can send me a PM telling me to review their site. Just up our message limit...a lot.

I won't talk anybody's ear off though. Those are the things off the top of my head.
  • Vokbain
  • Born
  • Born
  • Vokbain
  • Loc: The Future

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I completely forgot I joined up here. That PM you sent out reminded me.

I just joined that usergroup for competitions, so hopefully those messages will remind me to come here.

Maybe a monthly email newsletter or something.
  • natural_angel33
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Las Vegas, NV (blech!)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't been here in a while because I felt too stupid to be here. I will agree with pervious comments about the mods. I was made to feel as though I were stupid, and was treated rudely. Sometimes it's hard to understand answers to questions when you really are new to a subject. This leads to more questions, and when those questions are made out to be "stupid questions" it tends to hurt one's feelings.

There is a clique on Ozzu. And if you don't belong, then you are just another Newbie.
  • benoitb
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Washington, DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would change ownership of this amazing place to myself.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm in agreement with Rabid Dog. I'd love to see a code snippet/sample library and some nice code challenges. Other than that, I'd have to agree with MeineChrista too in that it would be nice if the programming section were broken down by language. You wouldn't have to cover ALL languages, just the most discussed ones here on Ozzu. This would make it easier to search and also help prevent the "Which language are you using?" posts when someone asks a question without specifying the language.

Other than those few things, I cant think of anything else I'd change.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not really sure what more one can expect for a community such as Ozzu. Ozzu isn't unique by any stretch, although it has a much less formal feel to it than any other large techy online forum space that I've been to. I don't know... Ozzu is what I need it to be... I'm not a moderator, just a member, so I guess I don't much care about the ancillary stuff that is posted here. It stays put on the General board where it belongs, and for the most part, the Mods tolerate it as long as it does stay there (as I feel they should...)

Someone said something about moderator attitudes... I've crossed the mods now and then (actually... not really that much, but a couple times), and you know... who cares. This IS a community, and there NEEDS to be some sort of standard, which by extensions, REQUIRES that there be some way to enforce those standards, AKA, Moderators. If you are willing to operate within the norms set forth, in general, by the community, then you won't have a problem with the Mods. If you consistantly prefer to operate outside those norms, then you need to seriously consider whether Ozzu is a community you should frequent... The mods are doing the job asked of them, and while no one can always be 100% impartial, I think the mods do a pretty good job here, much better than other places, for sure, both in keeping it clean, and being flexible as appropriate.

I guess I would agree that some form of FAQ might be in order. The problem isn't that people are lazy and don't bother looking before asking... (yes, that does happen a lot), but in many cases, its happened to me in fact, the search terms that actually locate an answer aren't the terms a person thinks to use. Or, more importantly, the person isn't that fluent in English perhaps, the web is international after all.

The thing is... a FAQ would be difficult to narrow down to where it would be remotely useful. Go peruse the various forums, there are thousands and thousands of questions being asked and answered all the time, some are repetitive, others not.... but you'd have to comb through WAY too much data to compile a good list, and no one's getting paid enough for that.

No, I really like Ozzu as it is, for what it is, and for what it's not...

Maybe a chat room of some sort :?:

.c
  • pony
  • pony

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not a regular visitor, so let me not misdirect you with my inputs. But at a first glance, it is so dark. I just don't want to stay here for long.
  • GuyFromChicago
  • GuyFromChicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix wrote:
Someone said something about moderator attitudes... I've crossed the mods now and then (actually... not really that much, but a couple times), and you know... who cares. This IS a community, and there NEEDS to be some sort of standard, which by extensions, REQUIRES that there be some way to enforce those standards, AKA, Moderators. If you are willing to operate within the norms set forth, in general, by the community, then you won't have a problem with the Mods. If you consistantly prefer to operate outside those norms, then you need to seriously consider whether Ozzu is a community you should frequent... The mods are doing the job asked of them, and while no one can always be 100% impartial, I think the mods do a pretty good job here, much better than other places, for sure, both in keeping it clean, and being flexible as appropriate.

I fully agree there needs to be a "standard" that people adhere to in order to particiapte on an ongoing basis in any forum community. The thread I linked to isn't about adhering to a standard, it's about a mod being a jerk because someone asked a question (a valid question at that) about the nofollow being used in signatures. IMO mods should be setting the example for the community, not lashing out at people for asking questions and telling them to "post elsewhere".
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

If there was one thing that impacted the amount of time I spend reading here (besides having a hectic life), it would be the high contrast white on black theme.

In the space of 10 minutes worth of reading, I find myself doing an awful amount of blinking at the excessive contrast in text to bgcolor.

Thanks for listening, eh...

Cold Canuck
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here I shall now commit Ozzu suicide and criticize the one force I should not.

If there was one thing I could change about Ozzu it would be the attitude sometimes displayed be the Moderators and wannabe moderates. In general the forum is well maintained, spam is promptly dealt with and offensive and unacceptable post are quickly removed. The problems with the moderation, in my mind, come when posters commit minor social faux pas and are responded to with short venomous repartee. If you feel someone's post is badly phrased, or could be better solved through the use of Google or Ozzu's search function; simply say so in a pleasant and friendly manner, or even better ignore their post and leave it for someone else that may have the time and patience to walk the poster through their problem.

To illustrate this problem I'll briefly tell you of a post I didn't recently make; and more importantly why I didn't make it. The post would have been related to my new computer and a problem I currently have with Flash. I've upgraded to 64bit, I'm running a 64bit OS and use 64bit Firefox, there is no 64bit Flash Plugin and 32bit Flash doesn't work with Firefox 64. Therefore anyone using 64bit Firefox is without Flash and I see this as a growing problem that developers (especially those in Macromedia) should be aware of. The solution to this problem, given by Macromedia, is to run a 32bit browser; I and many other users are not will to take a technological step backwards for a software company that is so pathetically run that they can't recompile a piece of software. I was going to write a post to this affect, as I thought it would be of interest to many of the users of Ozzu, but, as I'm not exactly on the cutting edge of computers I felt sure someone else must have experienced the same problem and written a post related to it. I ran a search of Ozzu (Flash 64) which came up with fifty nine pages of results, I read through the first couple of pages and thought sod it; I can't face trawling through fifty nine pages of posts. So I left no post just to avoid the negativity I'd have to carry round for the rest of the day on the off chance someone else had made a post on this subject and all I'd get in reply would be,

Quote:
This has been discussed before, see topic XXXXXX
THREAD LOCKED

In summary I think the Moderators would be well placed if they remembered the old adage, 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.'

That said, maybe I'm wrong and the current situation is the perfect balance between anarchy and strict control; I've never run a forum and therefore not had a chance to see the effect of different levels of control. And, in general Ozzu is the only forum I regularly visit and one of the reasons is the fact the moderators here do a good job in keeping a lot of the rubbish and idiots off the boards.
  • sert
  • Born
  • Born
  • sert
  • Loc: Australia.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had completely forgotten I'd signed up here, I must admit, so if you'll humour me here are just a couple of things that hit me as soon as I logged in:

1. Although I happen to like the skin, I can see why others do not. Just giving a choice of skins (sorry if this has been mentioned) would make a difference.

2. A Tutorial section would be worth its theoretical weight in gold; nobody wants to read through pages, for what might be gleaned from a single, well-written post.

Other than that I'd stick to just changing whatever you guys feel is best, I suspect I'll be visiting here more often. Now I know what it is.
  • guitarlover
  • guitarlover

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, thank you for this opportunity!

Truthfully, I haven't been on the forum in quite a while but it has nothing to do with content etc. I simply have many interests and tend to visit this forum when I have questions related to my work.

Unfortunately, I am event driven at this point and cannot simply just choose to say, "For the next month I am going to concentrate on Flash!"

Apologies aside, I have nothing bad to say about the forum. My questions have always been answered quickly and well.

I don't think this is what you necessarily wanted but it's the best I can do.

Kind Regards, Steve Brown, Sylvania, Ohio
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's quite refreshing and exciting to see so many members old and new, and even some who have never posted before responding with such good feedback. I've read every post that you guys and gals have made (as have Bigwebmaster and the bulk of the mod team) and your feedback is helpful and much appreciated.

I can see some things that I can immediately do to help some of you, for example the search engine functionality. It actually does work quite well, IF you understand how it works. I'll most likely make a separate post on that as soon as I can get the time to help you all understand how it really works.

The feedback is great and refreshing! It's so nice to see so many of you responding. Please keep it up! (And please don't reply to my slightly extraneous comments). I posted this primarily to help keep the topic to what Brian requested of us. Back to the subject.
  • Kewleus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Kewleus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont come here often, but when i do i find it to be complete in helping me with my coding problems, so all i really want to say is that this site is awesome for content/help/contests and just to check out others work, there is no need for new and better things but i think theres always the greed to enhance your site to make it better.. some things that i think would be cool, are a gallery where you can view all images uploaded by users, others would be tutorials and perhaps a download page

Thanks for letting us give our views on the matter,
the kool one,
tom
  • gem
  • gem

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had completely forgotten I'd signed up here until I got the email about a private message. :) For the most part I like the general layout, though I think it can be a little confusing to where you need to post.

The only thing that I could think of was maybe “lessons” for newbie’s.

Thanks for letting me put in my two cents and for reminding me of this place. *grins*
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant think of anything i would like to see changed, but i can think of one thing i would like to see added.

One thing i would love to see is a code snippet database. It would help members of ozzu and attract more people. Things like "how to enter information into a database" and "how to write to a txt file with php".

For people learning things like php the official php.net site is good to find what functions do, but something that shows functions in use and practicle uses for functions would help a lot of people.
  • TKING
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

user friendly... and add maybe mirc channel?
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Really like the way the forum is right now. I cant really think of much that needs to be changed.

But the first 2 that come to mind are:

All users with 0 posts after 3 days of being registered should be deleted [ it would take alot of time but we would have a more accurate count of members]

categorizing: Hardware forum could be changed to Hardware and Peripherals and under that could be

Voltage Modifications
Videocards & Tv Tuners
Monitors& Displays
Cases
power supplies
Hard Drives Cd/dvd drives & flash media
Sound Cards, Mp3 players, Speakers
Digital Cameras, Camcorders, & webcams
Network Hardware [ Wired & wireless]
Miscellaneous Peripherals
Unknown [ for all unknown problems lol self explanatory]

And windows should be categorized into each os of windows.
Ie

Windows Xp
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows 98
Windows 95

but thats it.. heh

Thanks for hearing me out.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truth be told, I think that Ozzu is great as it is, and the only thing that could improve it would be to add some tutorials and such...

However, I do feel - with all due respect - that the moderaters need to lighten up a little. While I have never had a conflict with one, I have noticed several topics that have been locked for (what I feel) are insufftient reasons, namely: "This is a webmaster forum, not Such and Such." While this is most certainly true, the topics to which I am refering were in the 'General Discussion' Forum, and I feel that the topics of conversation in there should include just about everything under the sun. Once again, this is only my personal opinion.

Ozzu is a great resource, and asside from that, there is little that could be done to improve it.
  • Frosty Winters
  • Born
  • Born
  • Frosty Winters
  • Loc: Edmonton AB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really find anything that needs to be changed around here, when I came here I was trying to figure out how to make a "self extending iFrame" because I didn't know and PHP, but I got a quick and helpful respond on how to do what I wanted and after that I forgot about this place till I got an email that I had been PM'd. <<; It's a really helpful site, and I may come back some day if I ever need help with anything.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The forum has to be changed from black to a lighter background. I'm a fan of black sites, in fact my site is, but my polls indicate that most people don't like the dark colors--I'm switching to white or something.

The scripting forum should probably be split up, but then again it would be alot of new forums, and I would prefer it the way it is now as opposed to subforums (which I hate).
  • jaydear
  • jaydear
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like many I am an infrequent visitor, first lured here by Google when searching for help with a dire problem (which was not solved incidentally).

Anyhow, I like the dark look, so I say leave it as it is. but that's not my suggestion.

I suggest starting an ozzu wiki.
  • elektric
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would definitely add a place to post all those old questions that were never answered but deserve an answer, for example, a hard question that passed to the old pages, would be great to move this posts to a Challenge Questions Zone. Where the big brains would probe their skills.

Best Regards.

Elektric.
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Umm i think a Photoshop tutorial section or something like that. but umm really it is a great site allready. Maybe when the time comes you might just want to change the desgin, been up for a while.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok tutorial section, code repository, open source repository(at least links to sites), full site, more options for skins/themes/styles these all have been mentioned and I thought I would give my seconds as well. The coding challenges/contests would be fun. And if there is anything I can do to help by all means please let me know, not that I am all that useful but I can lend a hand here and there from time to time
  • gkomar
  • gkomar
  • Loc: Zagreb, Croatia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd change the logo, remove all the tables from the code...make it a css site. Also, it would need some brightening...this is like you're in a grave. I don't know what OZZU means....maybe that's why the site's dark but nevertheless it should be more cheerfull. :shock:
  • voodoo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • voodoo
  • Loc: egypt

Post 3+ Months Ago

i want to change the colors scheme
  • egranville
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd have to go with 'this213' on this one....

1. Add tutorials (indicating THE way to do things)
2. Add a F.A.Q. (I would certainly use it before posting a question)
3. Don't ever remove the default black (even if new themes are added). That would be like telling the apple corp. to stop using white for their products...can you imagine the whole line of apple products in cyan or magenta....that would be nasty :shock: !! (not that I think you were intending to do that :D )
  • povidiu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Oradea

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will like to change the color scheme

Ovi
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the reason why people are attracted to Ozzu initially is the simplicity and the helpfulness. I participate in a few of the threads but it gets to the point where I've learn what I wanted to learn. I've done my time helping others and answering questions posted by newer users, but what would interest me more is hearing more about the issues that the more experienced members have. If I browse through the forum and something catches my eye I'll read it and try to contribute. I feel the reason the more experienced members don't post their questions is because the response may be poor and a waste of time.

Guess what I want to see are some ground breaking questions and responses. This only relates to the sections that interest me and this may not be the case in others.

But overall I enjoy the forum, top class members!
  • vasam
  • vasam

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not like logo...
I like dragon, but I do not like OZZU font...
  • Big Bill
  • Loc: surrey, uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
If you are not a very active member at ozzu it would be most helpful if you could really give your feedback. Maybe explain what would make you more active at ozzu if something was changed.

More hours in the day! I'm busy busy busy!

BB
  • mrken
  • Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The colour of the background.

My eyes strain when adjusting to a dark background with light text from a light background with dark text.

I usually have multiple windows open, most of which are black text on white background.

I guess I have used up my suggestions. :P
  • lsblogs
  • lsblogs
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

totally forgot the forum existed to be honest!

Colour scheme is to dark for my liking, maybe offer a choice of skins for users.....

Other than that, the reminder email about this thread rocked, I liked that, it was a non spammy way of getting people back to comment.

My memory sucks, and I have that many forums I have posted in, I often forget which ones I posted in sometimes! So I love emails like that, that remind me.
  • tulip4heaven
  • Born
  • Born
  • tulip4heaven
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to change color sceme

Thank
  • smo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • smo
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I left because my interest / area to focus have changed. I started as a PHP MySQL programmer. My interest now is on SEO and selling / exchanging banners and links. I have one good site and in the process of developing few more.

I am active in the forums where I get opportunity to post my buy or sell requests for my banners & links, exchange business ideas, offer services and discuss on hosting plans.

To me this forum is for tech people only.

A trading zone or market place for webmasters is what is missing here.
  • JLM
  • JLM
  • Loc: Oxford

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

Started reading some of this thread, and noted that Tutorials was mentioned. If you get a tutorial section please make sure that it is well referenced (ie see actionscript.org) My interests are mainly flash related since this forum is more general I only visit occasionally. But if you require a tutorial on any aspect of flash AS1,AS2 flash8 or swishMax, I am always happy to contribute to the Open source comunity, but I would want to do it on something that was in demand by some of your members and would not consider just doing one for the sake of it.

Good Luck with any changes you will make, my main suggestion is a monthly new letter with examples, tutorials, and highlight threads.

I must admit I have not looked at your flash section for awhile I will give it a look later today.

JLM
  • Beren
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Beren
  • Loc: Lost in Wilderland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change the appearance... it just looks and feels php bb all over... a webmaster forum should at least set an example!
  • luckystrike
  • luckystrike

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the forum is doing great i think just add more tech info on pc problems but overall the mods are doing good.
  • yoyo
  • Born
  • Born
  • yoyo

Post 3+ Months Ago

More Board Styles

I like:
something easily to read...
white & light gray background
black text...
  • multiplayeren
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • multiplayeren

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lighter style
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm..
Remove the banners, but that is not to likly to accur since ozzu needs money so:
Remove the fading of thread text when rolling over, old computers buggs it and it lags on my old ^_^
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a web developer and I use this site to help me when I'm absolutely stuck at work and have noone to ask in the office. More often than not the site has helped me out. But I don't use it as an everyday forum.

I like the colour scheme (I notice a lot of people have mentioned it as one thing they'd like changing). But added some extra choices wouldnt hurt. I guess white on black isn't everyones cup of tea.

I would like some stickys. Or some kind of FAQ area thats easily searchable. But this forum covers all aspects of computers that that would be hard to do.

Otherwise I like the site and I do come here after I can't find an answer on google or from my work mates.
  • summerwu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • summerwu

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wish ozzu add open source comment, and then we can talk them, and become more skilled
  • nickybangkok
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am in this forum since July 2005 i find it really good.
Ozzu has got one of the best intellegent expertise network.

thank you
  • heather valentine
  • heather valentine
  • Loc: Not Far

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe add an embed into the page a quick suport live help client
  • atrix
  • Born
  • Born
  • atrix

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like this forum a lot, theres really nothing much that I can think of need changes. But if I would of to say one, it probably be step by step guides for more various programming.
  • kooshin.com
  • kooshin.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it will be the skin and general site design that is what i tihnk and also maybe converting the forums to something like mybb or vb :)
  • skakid
  • Born
  • Born
  • skakid
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, I forgot about this site... haven't had an email from it in years it seems like, so I really don't know what to change, I should start coming back to it though.
  • com_craze
  • Born
  • Born
  • com_craze

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe add the option of changing the layout just like those who use invision powerboard.
  • barry
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just like to say that the forum should have an age limit and be specific in what i allows in the way of language

i posted a good few messages in this forum up tillnow

AGES ago i was reading a post about a boy band , and being me and hating all things with a hollyoaks haircut i posted back a message with my views (not to every ones taste )

I got almost banned for it
s0 my point is dont allow people to post items like this in the first place

This is a web design and developement forum and not for children getting **** off about whos hot and whos not on top of the bloody pops

:twisted:
  • dannybedor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dannybedor

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have Web Hosting Forum topic then you should be add Domain Name Forum topic. But you should make some rules to prevent users posting a domain for sale or promotion for themself.

Long live Ozzu. :D
  • ShapeShifter
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

that would be the smileys..
sorry to say that - but those big-faced smileys are ugly...
otherwise I love this forum.. it's got everything!
  • 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

No complaints from me, but I would love to see a "Networking" or "Protocol" forum or sub-forum added.
Networking and Web design go hand in hand in my world.
I think it would cover a large range of topics that arn't discussed that much here, and should be, in my opinion.

I also support the suggestions of adding an area for tutorials, and mIRC channel. (I'd love to make some tutorials too)

EDIT: I like the color / template as it is. I work in dark areas a lot of the time, light colors would kill my eyes.
  • Ralle
  • Student
  • Student
  • Ralle

Post 3+ Months Ago

- Ozzu is a cool site. I just hate the design, so dark and badmooded.. Please make your own (I read your interests) you are a web designer. Make some really cool and uniqe
- Get some content! This site needs it. You don't even have to write it yourself just take your users content and print it on some pages. Like tutorials, make a Knowledge base (there is a mod for this) for tutorials for everything. Also make a more interesting profile, maybe a blog about yourself.
  • Malachim
  • Born
  • Born
  • Malachim

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, site works for me, I just don't have nearly enough hours in the day... :shock:

Seems slow serving pages mind.

Ooooh, spellcheck too. Never noticed that before. Nice touch!
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly, thanks for providing OZZU.

My suggestion:

Split forum categories up where appropriate. For example, the code section would have subcategories of PHP, Javascript, General, etc. This would mean that I would only have to read through the categories in which I stand any chance of helping.

Other ideas:
(Sorry, it's just too good an opportunity)

Non-forum homepage with comprehensive, categorised list of resources, both for beginners and more advanced users.

Solution provider award system whereby a topic starter can award the user who provides the solution. I feel this would encourage us all to help out more. Maybe users who achieve a certain number of awards get special benefits, like... um, ad free browsing! [Audience: ooooohhh!]

Topic resolved tick box for topic starter.

Moderators: I've never had any bad experiences with any of them. I don't generally even look in the General Discussion board, but keeping this forum on topic can only be a good thing.

Thanks again.
  • K22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: USA, Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Networking.. (my definition not Novell)

I wanted to post a place to look for someone with a skill set different than mine to venture into a project with just an idea and a goal. There was no place to put something like that.

So, I wound up sub-contracting the work done. Basically I guess the name of the Category would be "Schemes and Dreams" or "Venture Projects."

A place to look for other web guys who like to take chances testing new market theories and vertical market segments. A place to look for partners with talents 180 degrees out from mine to complete the whole package. I know something like this could be abused by spammers, but maybe a minimum post requirement would help.
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please do not change the background to a lighter color because this would be uncomfortable in contrast to others but keep this skin option if any more choices are being added.

Just had to get that off my chest at first but i have something else to mention.

I see numerous posts about people being saying ozzu is very helpfull to their questions, i have to say this isn't always the case from what i see when i view other posts and including mine.

My guess would be with the knowledge that frequently visits ozzu you would suspect more helpfull replies and consisting replies in response to a topicstarter. A lot of times i see replies in a way that for the person that replies to the question it seems al so simple but causes more questions for the topic starter because of the way a question is being aswered.

A lot of times people that reply to questions are lacking to give descriptive ansers and are forgetting that not everybody knows all the terms and processes that's related to programming or whatever.

In my oppinion when an explanation to a certain problem is being given it should be explained in such a manor even your 6 year old sister could understand it (a little bit exxagurated but you get the point)

A lot of times when someone does reply to a question of mine i'm feeling like the guy in the Dell commercial getting the technical rant from the sales person and getting all confused by the terms that are being slapped around his ears.

A lot of times when it comes to posts including post of mine i would expect more involvement from people that i know of are knowledgeble about a certain topic and also involvements of mods would be appreciated. There are certain sections on Ozzu that are being partially moderated by combined moderators but i don't see hardly any participation by them on these forum sections.

In my oppinion a mod should also try to answer questions and not only lurk around to see what's new or if a post needs to be locked or removed.

A good motivation for people to get more involved answering questions or sharing their toughts about a certain topic would be what i see on other forums.
Other forms use a revenue sharing system of the adsense ads on the forum pages, so an option to add your adsense id in the edit profile section and whenever you start a thread and someone will enter the thread by clicking on the thread itself and if it happens the person would click an adsense ad there would be a 50/50 chance the revenue of the add would be credited to his or hers account. The thread starter that is.

When a person enters a thread by viewing new posts or unanswered posts and would click on a adsense ad, then there would be a 50/50 chance the revenue goes to the last poster of the thread, offcourse not the person that entered the post innitially.

This would definately give a little bit more motivation to get involved in solving problems or giving out information.
Because in my oppinion it's what Ozzu lacks compared to other forums in contrast to what other people say.

Maybe in my situation i should change my avatar and screen name to get more replies regarding questions.
I do must add that there are some members that are consistent in helping others and me out and not only by replying with a single non descriptive post and thinking they are helping someone out.
  • mojac
  • mojac

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Bigwebmaster
Well Brian, as i have only had the opportunity to use ozzu a couple of times, up to now i don't think any changes are needed. Obviously there must be something but as i don't have much time to explore the site i don't think at the moment i can think of any changes. Keep up the good work. Mojac
  • ninedragons10
  • ninedragons10
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

The one thing I would add to this site is more help for everyone in the web development area. Such as HTML web templates, scripts, Flash templates. If possible to provide a service where if requested by a member to generate a script for them if they dnt know how, such as in php, JavaScript etc so that they can learn from what they didnt know how to do before.

I havnt seen a site do this before without requesting huge amounts of money so be the first! :P
  • David26
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • David26

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding a Web Directory forum would be beneficial to all Webmasters since we are always looking for places to add our links. There have been some good directories or members offering PR 6 - 8 links here but those topics were moderated. If this is a webmaster forum you should allow more material that helps webmasters. It isn't like the links will cause a PR drain on your site anyway since you use the exit out script on all urls.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... wow that's a hard one! Ozzu pretty great, but one thing I think that would make it better would be to add more forums. I start to feel really limited at the moment. I mean, there are so many aspects of computers and there are not as many here. I think it would be better, so I would actually have more places to post and ask questions for.

If this request is actually done, I would be very greatful. Thanks.

Regards, Andy.
  • diegomh7
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: UK- Sheffield

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i reckon tutorials are the way to go same as many people have mentioned over the past 7 pages, but catagorised i.e php tutorials, flash tutorials, css etc, http://www.flashkit.com does this well have a little nosey at their tutorial pages, only problem with them is that they hardly ever update it :D

Anyhuw, thanx foir the invite to post

Diegomh7

aka Dildego :)

p.s enough already with the sillly comments about "I dont like the colour", come on tails, this forum is to be read and learnt from not hugged and kissed, ffs
  • TF Madhouse
  • Born
  • Born
  • TF Madhouse

Post 3+ Months Ago

add a shout box that would be a good addishion to an alrdy great community

keep up the good work
  • contstrictor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • contstrictor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking about a section for projects, where people we could put little projects on to serve as examples of what we talk about. And also as a resource for budding web developers to find some inspiration
Because from experience i have only been inspired by other peoples' excellence.
  • Dejanilly
  • Dejanilly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since i allways got very good answers on the forum i don't think that some kind of new graphics can make one forum better or wors.
I think it is all about people who joined in the forum.
Maybe you should build a group with some specialists who can answer questions on the proffesional level........
Add some hardware test would be nice (i mean lists what to actually buy - what you need ).....every month new list.......

Otherwise great job

Best regards
  • webfreak
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webfreak

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding a member's signature to their profile would make it a lot easier to see your sig without having the need to post or dig up old posts.

OZZU is a very good webmaster community, nonetheless.
  • Wilbour
  • Wilbour

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a new member, but my first thought, while setting up my profile, was to wish you would allow the member to chose from more than one color scheme.

If I think of other improvements, while using the forum, I will let you know if you care for suggestions.

Wilbour
  • jmweb
  • Student
  • Student
  • jmweb
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd change the design to a more professional one.
  • dani190
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

havent used forums in a long time i duno
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is great forum like to grow as complete site. Such as articles, downloads,member's projects.
  • vkapet
  • Born
  • Born
  • vkapet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't remember posting on this site, can only comment on the look of the site. I am very turned off by the dark backround and the evil looking dragon. (reminds me of some kind of hackers hangout). Everything else looks great :)
  • JupiterDragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think anything needs changing really, Maybe the colors....
  • merlinvicki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I would want the posted messages to be included in the mail notification I receive in my mailbox. Something like the Macromedia Forums.

I always save those mails. Helps me keep a track of the posts.

:)
  • natbrazil
  • Born
  • Born
  • natbrazil

Post 3+ Months Ago

more regular emails so that 'out of site, out of mind' doesn't happen, thats why I don't visit more often

i also don't like the color scheme, this color is associated with teenager non-work sites to me

best and thx
  • jejo
  • Born
  • Born
  • jejo

Post 3+ Months Ago

needs free sms site
  • lineleeder
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Southern NH

Post 3+ Months Ago

r0bin wrote:
Gah.. I haven't used this forum for a long time. I read some of my old posts and I feel like such a newb.

I guess if I could change ONE thing it would be the colour scheme, but that's all down to tastes and what skins you happen to have installed.

I might as well have written that post myself.

I haven't been around in a long time, and even then I only participated a little. I definitely think the color scheme, while very well done, is a little - well - black. I work next to my boss and even though this is a perfectly reputable forum, I'd rather him not see me at a shady, black website - it sparks the curiousity bug if you know what I mean.

Not that I could do better.
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make links (in posts) more visible. Add a blue tinge to the link color perhaps. :)
  • BurninDragon08
  • Born
  • Born
  • BurninDragon08
  • Loc: Renton, Washington <-RIGHT next to Seattle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that you should add codes/scripts forum.
  • Graphix24
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Graphix24
  • Loc: PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was reading some of the posts and they've pretty much summed it up so far. I agree with the post about tutorials and such.

I do know some programming (html/xhtml/css/javascript), but I'm more of an art lover. Most of the topics here, I just have no idea what to say because they're about a program that I don't know about. Maybe turn the forum into a web development/digital art forum?
  • jonlandrum

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I guess I'll throw my two cents in, now. I haven't seen this one: how about articles describing the weaknesses of various coding languages. For instance, someone could write about the pitfalls of using certain languages that are easy for hackers to exploit, how to write code in these languages to minimize exploitation, how to recover your site after being exploited, etcetera. I've never been hacked, but I don't use scripts, either. I've read a lot on the web (when I was blogging with PHP) about this patch, or that workaround; could we get someone to give us a definite answer to problems like this?

~Jonathan

PS: Impel GD's idea was fantastic!
  • Skal Tura
  • Skal Tura
  • Loc: Finland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definately more about bringing in the visitors to your site!

It's one of the probably least talked subjects but the most important one for revenues :O

and i don't talk just about search engines, it's the basics, but about blogs, affiliating, link directories, paid advertising(btw, if any one need any banner impressions(basic targeting, language & rate), popunders/redirect domain traffic(targeted & untargeted) just contact me for rates;) ).

I see way too little about it anywhere in the web, is it a tabu or what? Everyone talks only about search engines, while search engines are very important, there is plenty of other ways around too acquire traffic (in MMOG industry one worthy is MMOG directories, Adult industry TGP index sites).
  • ShadowEagle
  • Born
  • Born
  • ShadowEagle

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Tutorials
2. light themes
  • JokeAss
  • Born
  • Born
  • JokeAss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change the forum software to vBulletin!

I own a licance of vB, it's totally worth it!
  • blue-scorpion
  • Born
  • Born
  • blue-scorpion

Post 3+ Months Ago

aha...i'm not active here...i got into this forum by chance..cause i'm not good in English .. i have not used this forum very much.
so...i don't think anything need to be changed here ..:)
maybe this reply would make admin disappointed. i just tell the truth..sorry then~
  • Nightslyr
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Nightslyr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tutorials are a must, especially when it comes to cross-browser/platform compatibility issues. I'm a newb, and it seems there are a million and one hacks and tricks needed to make a site look good on most computer setups. Having those hacks and techniques in one place would be a great service to those of us trying to learn how to do things the right way the first time.
  • JustABob
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • JustABob

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the colors as is!

The idea of faq's, or a knowledge base is a good one!

One thing that I think would help is actually splitting up the forums a little more - have one for css, another for php, one for perl - Another option is to have skill levels - have web questions by newbies, another for advanced topics.
When I used to work in .net, http://www.vbcity.com/forums/ had a nice setup.
  • rikahs
  • Born
  • Born
  • rikahs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Feedback. OK. I would take the Google ad out of the iframe. It actually scrolls and jumps at least at 800 X 600.

rikahs
  • lostboy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • lostboy
  • Loc: Just north of Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would I like to see more of? Perhaps splitting the coding forums into more separate forums, perhaps by languages or technologies to avoid having to scroll thru all those posts to find ones I can answer...other than that tutorial

PS I like the color scheme
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bump wrote:
When we give feedback on ozzu we are told that if we don't like how ozzu does things, go somewhere else.

*sigh*

So, the number one thing I would like to see is a change of attitude of some of the moderators.

The current attitude of some of the moderators is that ozzu has so many members that ozzu can afford to go without anyone that disagrees with ozzu policies and other such things.

Bompa

I pretty much stopped posting for the same reasons - I felt the site was being over-moderated and was quite heavy handed at times. I was never scolded myself, so this isn't based on me personally being in a snit. :) Too many of the moderators seemed to be on a bit of a power trip and enjoyed being, er, elevated over us peons. When this really started to get out of hand, the forum just seemed to lose its appeal for me.
  • SKJoy2001
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some more color scheme...
  • MS-Addict
  • Born
  • Born
  • MS-Addict

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't think of one thing that would improve ozzu a lot, but the first thing that comes to mind would be some kind of headline feature showing something new --could be a tutorial for something useful (the type of thing that is useful because it saves time), maybe just tips on something very specific like tips for uses of loops in java.
  • BeyondFate
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BeyondFate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I believe Ozzu is amazing. The amount of people that are willing to take time out of their lives to help others with what they need is awesome.

To make Ozzu better I believe that new sections should be created to allow the sections to be only for and full of tutorials for many different things.

This will help expand the knowledge of many, and those many will then be able to help others in the future.

Fate
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the tutorial idea.. I think adding a section for tutorials and allow users to upload their own would be a good idea.
  • tonymartin123
  • tonymartin123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi bwm

Thanks for your message. I must say that you are doing a great jobI am quite satisfied with the site. Best wishes
  • stephelton
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should hope to see this post become a poll in the future! However, I would very much like to see tutorials be published, and NOT under the forum. This is one of the best forums I've found in terms of active membership, but I think people grow wary of digging through forums for information - even when it's stickied.

I'd also like to see more on the graphics side, maybe a forum for photoshop / illustrator / gIMP (heaven forbid you forsake the gimp)

I'd say that, above all, you should reach beyond the forum.
  • TheOne
  • TheOne

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller wrote:
tutorials
free templates

QFT. :wink:
  • ads_40
  • Born
  • Born
  • ads_40

Post 3+ Months Ago

i havn't got a problem really with the site, i herd there was a tutorial on here that could have been useful and i needed to subscribe then i didnt use it but ill have a look around and see whats what :)

iv just subscribed to the compotitions group so mayb that will get me into it :)

chao for now
  • proglead
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All...

Well frankly speaking I too agree with most of the people out here who say that the skin/theme of the forums need to be changed and something brighter should be used instead and if possible the look n feel of the forums should be changed on regular basis...just to add that extra ooomph to the forums :) ... basically I personally find black n grey very dull for forums ;)

Otherwise its fine overall :)

thanx n regards
  • SolveIt
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SolveIt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the look and feel could be improved. Specifically the black color. It always seems like when the web first started years back, all the "programmer" type site were ALWAYS black. It is such an uninviting color and unless there is a specific reason related to the identity of OZZU (which I am doubting), I say GET RID OF THE BLACK (and grey)! =)

I love this site and the people are very helpful, so improving the look will only help me to come back more! =)
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'd fall into the category of "used to be an active poster, now, not so much". I guess the forum just lost its appeal. There was one moderation incident while back that changed my perspective of the forum and clearly outlined that there was a difference between mods and regular posters, basically saying its "our way or the highway".

With some exceptions, I dont think some of the mod's have any business being in their position and the mod selection process needs to be revamped. I look at some of the regular posters here who have demonstrated their skills and wonder why someone else got chosen as a mod instead of them. Some mod's barely contribute to their respective threads, aside from locking/editing/deleting a few posts here and there. I feel a definite bias "behind the scenes". The forum has taken on a high school atmosphere, in that, there are cliques, you're either in or out.

Aside from moderation, the topics have become redundant and the posts are becoming more ridiculous. I personally dont reply to a lot of issues because I know they can be resolved with a simple google search, the posters are just lazy. This place just isnt as fun anymore, its like working at a help desk with no benefits. If changes are going to made, they have to start from the top. Changing color schemes and adding tutorials wont fix anything.
  • Rodd1s
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see someone already wrote something similar to what I was thinking of. Some people might say that Ozzu should expand so it contains templates, tutorials etc etc. instead to make life easier, it should have an area where links to various sources to other web pages with templates tutorials etc on them. And maybe also a way to point out freelance web designers if thats not already been done, but i havnt been using Ozzu for too long yet.
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've read thjrough some of the posts here and I agree with ringmaster, cowkiller, and i'm sure many others. I would like to see a more fuller site, not just a forum. I would include things like this:

* tutorials in various categories (i.e: from basic computer operation to coding PHP or step by step information on obtaining a web host, domain etc. and things related to starting your own website)

* website templates

* downloads for webmasters (i.e. HTML/PHP editors, code snippets to use in a site, like guestbooks, counters, forms etc.)

* Commonly used system tools for download (i.e winzip or a defrag program) - to have these all in once place and be able to see people's comments about them

thats all that comes to mind for now but i am sure i will get more ideas
  • Cynic
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cynic
  • Loc: Coventry UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bit overwhelmed to be asked this as I'm a very recent entrant. Forgive me if I reserve judgement -- but first reaction is surprise at warmth of welcome.
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Burnt_Raven
  • Loc: South East England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definatly a tutorial section
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

mm..my thoughts: this is a webmaster forum, theres a web design forum, coding, windows, linux....but no server forum. you can run apache on both linux and windows, but when you have a problem - it may not always apply to the operating system as much as it does the software. of course, the software is made specifically for that system, but theres other technologies related to web servers too. so i think there should be a 'servers' forum. i've even pm'd a mod about a link to a site with a good tutorial for setting up apache, mysql, jsp, and php in windows ( http://mpcon.org/apacheguide/ ) but i'm unsure as to if the mod read it let alone acknowledged it before deletion as i got no response and saw nothing come of it. lol :)

also, a more 'full-fledged' website would improve ozzu. IMHO it'd increase traffic and utility for the site. either that or also like previously posted, an area that contains links to these resources elsewhere. i agree it would greatly relieve the amount of work needed for making all the pages. however, i'm sure there are people (myself included) that wouldn't mind helping produce the more robust ozzu. but in any case, more resources are good :)

p.s. i like the theme, lol
  • Donnerschlag
  • Donnerschlag

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make it easier to find tutorials and help. Make it a full site kinda like Pixel2life.com but just for getting help and making scripts. Thats what I would want Ozzu to be like =P
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think some kind of tutorial section should be implemented. If users could submit tutorials and have them validated by Moderators it would give even more help than it does. I know your not exactly short of traffic, but some of these tutorials could be submitted to tutorial sites such as Pixel2Life and Good-Tutorials.
  • IsaacSchlueter
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change up the color scheme, or implement user-selected skins (I believe phpBB has this functionality built-in.)

Gray on black is hard on the eyes. I always use the "Disable Page Colors" option of firefox's web developer toolbar when I come here. Some people may like it, but personally, it seems very 1992 - it looks cool, but it's hard to read, and thus not the best decision. After all, web design is about solving problems and accomplishing goals - making a pretty hip picture is only of value when it is effective. The goal here is to get people to read and write, but the color scheme isn't optimized for this.

Install the default phpBB theme, and let us switch if we want to.
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • i_am_dhaval
  • Loc: INDIA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start seo Group for Indian people in Hindi language…….
  • Tristan_Merz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Capital Region [TechValley] NY, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:wink: (This post's contents are here because of the open request above, the seminal top of thread, and only because of that; also: it is not impossible that some persons are more "honest"/open than others.)

I like to post at Ozzu and at a very few other specific BBoards/portals. The one thing -- if it were to change at the one source [Ozzu] of two [#2 = me] that this Q relates to -- is people finding it a directive or a Good Thing to let people say/ask things in ways that are not necessarily good tech writing parsimonious and organized as though English is subject only to good coding conventions. Sometimes that is very good English; sometimes not.

I have not posted here for awhile exactly because I felt unnecessary and possibly wrong-minded (and even, though unlikely, mean-spirited or hazing-intensive 'flame'-baiting) criticism for how I asked a question -- even though the meaning was clear. Sometimes "wordy" is good. There are computer scientists who write like poets. Great! What a dull forum this would be if we were all the same in too many ways.

If there is more willingness to concede [The "One Change" in the forum I'm advocating for, perhaps, in the form of a memorandum or something else (not_memorandum) that worked;] that boded well for future expression in English promoted from this point on, and evincing awareness of value in well-intentioned exploration of infinite variability in "style" because 'IT' is for humans, and, so: recognition of that part of philosophy called semiotics, as it explores potentialities of communication -- all of the answers and jurors to which are not yet in, I would post much more often. Sometimes avoiding pleonasm, even, like Bird Flu! (if it served purpose = 0.)

As a matter of fact I've been wanting to post hardware and software and SEO topics here for months, but have not because I have a problem with people who don't play well {read: Interact, [please avoid that tired old Straw Man Argument by not telling me "it's not about 'playing' and ... yadda yadda (point intentionally missed) yadda"]} with others, when I do -- I know what that's about; and I expect other people to, at minimum, try to listen to a post rather than find any possible way to criticize it: and in my case I go balistic (privately, alone, in a field) when IT_Onlys can't handle Both_IT_&_Liberal_Arts citizens. Oppenheimer and D.E. Knuth seem to have operated well in both arenas or lobes or on psychometric paper; and, yes, in laterally crossing-over at, to some, funny exception_throw times.

Any errors are not my fault. :-)

T.M.
  • Gary7
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gary7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Change the color scheme!! It is akin to adult sites, and just plain 'ol hard to read.
I would recommend dispensing with the dragon icon (seahorse?), while it is "cool", it is somewhat threatening -- definite appeal to the "Final fantasy gen.

Again -- color scheme!!

Gary7
  • hankhill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: On the hill!!! Where else?

Post 3+ Months Ago

What would I change? errr ummmm.....

Not a damn thing!

I love the layout, the color scheme, the unobtrusive google ads, the forum software, and most of all the people on here that help others.

I also love the website review section, that rocks!

This is the only board I go to for website related stuff due to the above items..

Keep up the great work!!
  • alexlimbert
  • Born
  • Born
  • alexlimbert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is the dark color of the background. I would like a ligher background.
  • mishka
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mishka
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, thanks for applying to get mine feedback... and certainly there many things to improve but... being more focused I would suggest to add to every every forum type a FAQ folder managed by a professional expert in this particular area of interest. I think many of posts espessially from the 'beginners' are recycled and just formulated in deffferent way so it would save them a tons of time on one hand, and on the other hand they can get a short feedback on request like "You may find the answer to your post in our FAQ folder" + appropriated link to it.
Also, considering implementation of some kind of search engine would be very effective for any user.
Regards,
M.D.
  • subs2boom
  • Born
  • Born
  • subs2boom

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I'm asked what I would like changed... well I don't come here very often so I can't tell what I would like changed. I will try to come here more often now that I'm almost finished with college and can probably give better advice and hopefully be ready for the "changing one thing" question if I'm ever asked again.
  • corexian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • corexian

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are some really amazing jewels in the forums, it just takes a while to find them. It might be cool if there were some way to vote on things we found really helpful so that it would gravitate to the top, regardless of age of the post.

This way it would be less of a hunt to find an answer to a question or bug we're trying to fix. I'm personally a developer, so I tend to look for efficient code methods that may be better than mine.

Also, I suspect that from the jewels, if some one wanted to take the time, it would be easy to compose a few great tutorials.

I really like the color scheme on here (light text on a dark background) if that helps any.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

it`s been so long since i dint post here.
As far as i remember, i liked this forum but then i got too busy to look over. I`ll have to stick some more to get an idea of what can be changed. Though i agree with the guys who said that
Quote:
1. Tutorials and a code / application repository.
2. Coding challenges! I am dying to see how the pros around here solve problems
3. Some form of loyalty program, not $$$ but just something so the individual feels like he / she is a valued member of Ozzu. Also so newer members know to take them seriously.
4. TERRIBLE QUESTIONS: I personally haven't made any productive posts in a long time because the questions being posted are really horrible and the user feed back from a reply is non existent. The suggestion above of having a most frequently asked questions thingy would be great

haha, i completly agree with the number 4 ... add a section for how a question must be formulated. As far i found a site http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson30.htm where it`s explain clear why some questions are plain stupid.

ah, and no white background. please on the forum, it will ruin my eyes. Probably even the gray should be darker :D
  • Dughy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Romania/Galati

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing that would be great ... A FEEDBACK TUTORIAL... like lets say.. people would like to learn things.. in css html flash what ever.. so perhapes you should make like a page where people can come and select what kind of dayly tutorials to get in their mails... and after a while with this tutorial that they studied and work.. to develope new projects that can be brought in a competition of some sowrth.. what i mean is with what they can learn.. creating a chalange between users to creat their most beautiful and most organized specialty(web page, program, media design) to win something in that competition!
  • Fleet_Ad
  • Loc: Pickerington Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Come to think of it, nothing, at all. Its pretty dang perfect the way it is now, setup is organized, colors are awesome, and its better than most of the other forums. Example "HOW I FIX THIZ?" *Answer* "LOLOL U SUK IT DON WORKZ" You know, the noobish type setting. Awesome all around, and...Yeah! I win ^_^
  • robinh4
  • robinh4

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really think anything needs to be changed on this board. I like the colours but maybe change the colours for a change. Other than that everything here is pretty good.
  • craigk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: New Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

My greatest desire would be a section on SEO on a budget. Most anyone can use SW to design a farily decent website but the real trick is driving traffic there on a shoestring budget.
Craig
http://www.taurustechnicalsolutions.com
http://www.nationwidetransmissions.com
  • haowee
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • haowee
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe you should have a section where members offer free templates for other to work on.
  • MsSue_66
  • Born
  • Born
  • MsSue_66

Post 3+ Months Ago

I havent really had the chance to look around much. So right now I can't really provide any input. I do know I am having a hard time with feedback forms. I have designed a few sites, but still having a tough time getting people in my area to notice.
  • zcorpan
  • Student
  • Student
  • zcorpan

Post 3+ Months Ago

JakSmit wrote:
colour scheme. somethig easier on the eyes, like a white background or something?
+1
  • steven420
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • steven420

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see some tutorials on different topics.
  • neohackershadow
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • neohackershadow

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the same thing as stev420
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make the "Programming" forum a category, and then give different types of popular programming languages their own forum, and if you don't feel like listing them all, then just put Misc programming languages as one of the forums. It would make it cleaner and easier to read. Along with people going somewhere for one language. Just my 2 cents. 8)
  • eXcursus
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Highlighting on a few comments first...

Themes - I use both light and dark templates with my site/forum. The reason? Read the last 10 pages :lol:

Main page - For those who mentioned having a home page that's not the index, I couldn't agree more. For phpBB, I HIGHLY recommend Smartor's--dirt easy to customize.

Ok...

Only ONE thing - I say change that damn subSilver "mark post as read" button to match smartDark. Images that don't match make the site look cheap.
  • sputnik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sputnik

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't change a thing.
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I don't know what you should change, I think the forum's fine.
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

The forum is fine and very informative. However the couple of times Ihave asked questions some of the answers were only as good as those writting them. While some people are very educated, others are not, but in a web forum as this you have no way to ID good advice from bad, of course you get what you pay for. The board as well as most users are great.

Lefty
  • SweetDreamsSweet
  • Born
  • Born
  • SweetDreamsSweet
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hiya,
thank you for the invite for feedback on this forum.
First I want to say sorry, I totally forgot all about this forum but have added it to my favs.
Second, I think tutorials would be a great bonus added to this site. I know I could learn a lot from them.
sweetdreamssweet
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rabid Dog stole my opinions. Especially number 4.
  • moldytwig
  • Born
  • Born
  • moldytwig
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey great site. i dont use it often but i like the theme you got goin. it looks awesome.

if anything, might i suggest more info / support for php-nuke. most of my question involve nuke, phpbb, etc.
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The colorscheme... I like the linkfader, but it's too dark overall.
  • RSMEDUDE
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I everyone,

I have not been active in a very long time but I tend to agree with the trend that seams to be being set here. I would agree a tutorials section would be most helpful. I am one of those people that I know what I want to ask but never know the words to use to express what I am looking for. Perhaps a scheme selector would be nice too for those who are not "feeling" this scheme (no offence to anyone)... Over all I feel this board has a lot going for it I just have been to busy with "real life" to be around so much. :D

I like the Template Idea especially since I am the kind of guy that writes templates when ever I learn something new so that I don't forget. I would be willing to share some of mine with the group if that ever materialized. Perhaps different section for different templates... like a CSS, HTML, ASP, PHP, and so on... oh well ok I think I went over my alluded about of things and have rambled on enough. Hope the information provided by myself and others helps you out BWM. Everyone take it easy.
  • themightyfu
  • themightyfu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see some tutorials
  • William.morales-diaz
  • Born
  • Born
  • William.morales-diaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
If you could change ONLY one thing at Ozzu what would you change?

I am looking for feedback to help determine what the most important issues with ozzu are right now. Please only state the most important thing that YOU would want changed or added. I would like this limited to ONE PER MEMBER so that I can get a good feel what is the most important overall to members. Do not respond to other posts here. Please only state what you would want changed and if you need to you may edit your post. If you post more than once your post may be merged/deleted. If someone has already mentioned the exact one thing what you want changed PLEASE do repeat it in your own words again. This will give me an idea what members think are most essential.

If you used to be active at Ozzu but left for a reason due to how something goes on here please do not hesitate to voice your thoughts.

If you have just never been very active here and you think there is something essential that could be changed to resolve this, please do post.

Finally if you feel nothing needs to be changed (unlikely), then you are welcome to say that.

I really appreciate all the feedback from members on this post. While I would like to improve all sorts of areas on ozzu, I would like to start with the most important first. I would like to get a feel for what is most essential to members.

Thank you,

Brian
]

I would like to see the colors of OZZU changed to more eye-catching colors, because some of the colors, especially black makes it most of the times hard to find buttons and links on it. Thank you. Other than that, I think you have a very good forum here.
Cheers,
William.morales-diaz
  • Pho3NIX_Te@rs43
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pho3NIX_Te@rs43

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW i havent been here in forever... look at my damn name....such a noob.i was looking through my old email inbox... i had to veiw an old list of saved passwords to find my username :P anyways thanks for reminding me. ill probably be around alot more now... anyways, im not sure what i would change, havent been here in a while..
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Expand OZZU into a gaming community to add to the wonderful community already made. I know at least a few people on this forum play FPS games. Why not start a tourny, league, or a team!
  • Gish
  • Gish

Post 3+ Months Ago

I, like a lot of people, haven't been here for quite a while.
I am honestly not sure what I would change. If anything I would stick with how it is. (eg. colour scheme, content)
  • j0seph
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: M'boro TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I haven't been active in the forums in a few months now, but I foresee myself being more active in the future, and as for my One thing to change....
hmm... It would be more like an addition, it would be a wiki-style knowledge base, unlike tutorials, it would be easier to edit on the fly...
  • Kakura
  • Kakura

Post 3+ Months Ago

me would say better color, the one now just blah, maybe sum others mix
  • samp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • samp

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would like to see featured sites of the week / month, as members post their sites for competition these sites are emailed to other members to help promote ppls work. Clicking on website reviews could have a random featured site for example with thumbnail etc
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for providing this opportunity bigwebmaster. The ONE thing that frustrates me with ozzu are people providing incorrect, unuseful, and just plain stupid advice.

I think ozzu needs to be more vigilant towards those not contributing useful information on the site.

I wont mention any names -
http://www.ozzu.com/profile.php?mode=vi ... le&u=21284
  • GELSCREW
  • Born
  • Born
  • GELSCREW

Post 3+ Months Ago

havnt been here for like a 2 years but erm more tutotrials?
  • tj-rip
  • tj-rip

Post 3+ Months Ago

a search bar on every page?
  • adminsr
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • adminsr
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can only say competitions. There have been a few and I know that prizes are a bit much, a site's got to make money or at least break even. Graphics, design, flash, there are so many opportunities.
  • RonTocknell
  • RonTocknell

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, a loo would be good (that's a "restroom" for US visitors...... 'though I've never known anyone go into a restroom for a rest). The hours I spend in front of the computer with a bladder on the point of exploding but I can never drag myself away. A website with a loo (ladies AND gents, of course) would be brilliant. I LOVE American loos! They're so much more civilised than British loos. For ages I couldn't figure out how the urinals knew when you'd finished until I noticed the little red light flashing. Infrared sensors! How cool is that!!? Oh, and could we have one with those disposable, tissue paper seat covers? Some people are fussy about that sort of thing. Actually, as winter is coming, heated seats would be good. My old "farmers" (as in "Farmer Giles"... rhyming slang for piles.... it's an English thing) would really appreciate that.

Well..... That's it....... maybe a shower would be good but I don't want to be unreasonable.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing to change...get back outside the box and think up a way to implement a FAQ [thread, separate page, chat, totally new idea...however you want to implement it]. No more excuses about the lack of staffing or time to take on such tasks...USE YOUR BIGGEST ASPECT - your members! If conglomos can use horizontal informational trading with their VERY OWN competitors to INCREASE their own margin, surely you could use dedicated members to boost your own site! If you are content with it the way it is, then we're good like we are...however, if you want to continually improve, you're going to have to trust a network of people to help you achieve your goals. There are various ways to put checks in place to make sure corruption stays out - I've proposed them before, and I've been ignored before. If you're interested, I'd gladly answer a PM sent to me without the masses...look at the response you got from asking for comments because members thought they were being solicited to help! Look how quick people here jump on job offers...there are starving, talented people here who would cut off an arm to become involved....use that.
  • Sohaib
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

New Theme.
  • ZiNNiZ
  • ZiNNiZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would make me admin, lol, nah j/k, i would change the logo...
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Mainly Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

ONE thing. I shall not be disobedient, I would love for the opportunity to change to a lighter theme, But I dont think the black as standard/default should go away... =)
  • Bizymommie
  • Bizymommie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the notice and invitation for ozzu feedback. Sounds personally diplomatic. :D I really enjoy your forum look and feel here.
  • GhodMode
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

My answer is (for now) don't change anything. I'll start using Ozzu more. Lets see what kind of community we can build up. After all, this site has something the other forums don't have: groovy color-changing links :Fade-color

I haven't used Ozzu that much, but I can't say it's because of any particular flaws. I'm just starting out as a Freelance Web Developer. So, this type of message board appeals to me. The reason is that there are so many out there. I have accounts with at least ten of them as well as several mailing lists.

When I have a new question to pose to someone with more expertise than me, I choose based on the community more than the quality of the message board. Where have I received the best answers?

For example, I also have an account with another site... it's horrible. It's loaded with ads, navigation is a pain in the neck, and they're constantly asking for money, but I've received some excellent answers from people there who really know their tihs.

I'll give another example. A better forum can't be found. I'll even break an unwritten rule and mention the name of the site: perlmonks.org. I can typically post a complex question there and have it answered a few minutes later. The author of the Llama book is very active there. It's only problem is that it's only for Perl. Very little of the credit for the quality of the board goes to it's creator, though. It's all in the community.

-- Ghodmode
  • Zadig
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think that the only thing recommend is more stickies! They are great for newbs like myself, and they save the mods some time as well.

Apart from that, this site is my first stop when i have a problem, and its usually resolved fairly quickly.

Just keep on keeping on.
  • adminsr
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • adminsr
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe rather than more stickies, just a section where faqs that might be stuck could be sent. It could save a ton of work.
  • pucci
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems like a small point, but I'm not crazy about the gothic look of the site. It seems too down for my tastes, I'm sure others love it.
  • Ted
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ted
  • Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The color scheme is a problem for me, too; I can hardly read anything without staring for a while. Thing is, light colored fonts (ie. your white on black) need to be larger to be legible. I have a great 19" monitor at 1280x1024, but I have a horrid time reading stuff. So either flip the color or increase the font sizes. Just my preference.

When I joined, it was because I was searching for something and, while searching, found someone else with a question I could answer... so I helped out.

I want to improve my own skills too, but its a tradeoff. I can't read a ton of stuff here if it keeps me from cranking out my own content on each of my own sites (four right now). What would be great is RSS feeds by forum. I can scan hundreds of messages an hour using RSS to pick the ones I want to get into depth on. So, if there was a functional change, I would say add RSS feeds.
  • aboyd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My only suggestion would be to be very careful with the suggestions here. There are a few that clearly appeal to the person making the suggestion, but they hold no relevance to me (and, I suspect, no relevance to most visitors to this site). There are a handful of suggestions that seem to be recurring themes, so I would consider them. It appears that an alternative to the existing theme would be welcome (although I'd keep the existing theme as the default). It also appears that tutorials are maybe a worthwhile pursuit. I would give you a tip about that, as I'm going to try something similar for publisherdatabase.com. I'm going to create a forum for people to post tutorials, and I'm going to hack the New Topic button so that anyone posting to that forum automatically has a poll attached to their tutorial. That way, people can vote if the tutorial is good or bad. Then, I'm going to use a hacked version of phpBB Blog (http://www.outshine.com) to create a list of all the top-rated tutorials. You could try something similar. Or just wait for me to write my code & release it, although that might be a while. :)

-Tony
  • DANVOICAN
  • Born
  • Born
  • DANVOICAN

Post 3+ Months Ago

everything looks great and I would not change a thing.
  • ephemeral
  • Born
  • Born
  • ephemeral

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:

I'm not a very active member at all, but that has nothing to do with the quality of this forum. I've just been really busy, and haven't been here since I reformatted.

A larger skin collection would be nice, although I quite like the default.

The site's great as far as I'm concerned. No real suggestions.
  • zudo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • zudo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would delete the internet and ummmm... change the colors orange and yellow
  • blackhart
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blackhart
  • Loc: Hartbeat

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive been out of touch for a while been soo busy i never even go online anymore but i see this site deffin'ty needs a new layout. just to spruce it up a little. change can be good sometimes. and if its not trust me we will be the first to let you know.
  • pnguine
  • Born
  • Born
  • pnguine

Post 3+ Months Ago

the colors
  • Russkie
  • Russkie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think whoever says change the colors is nuts... THAT is whats cool about this place, saw a buncha forums and they look all the same, black is a cool color, suave, Keep it AND put the shades on!
  • hostking
  • hostking
  • Loc: Montana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sorry, but I haven't spent much time on this forum. But if I had to say one thing, it would be related to how busy the site is. It may be that I haven't spend much time here, but it seems like there are a lot of things to take in when reviewing posts.
On a side note, I like the color scheme. It is easy on the eyes. Hope this helps.
Matt Moore
  • cordellsr
  • Born
  • Born
  • cordellsr
  • Loc: Dallas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I asked a question 6 months ago about a problem being dicussed, relevant to my issue--never saw a reply. Maybe it was a dumb question? Where is the forum for people who ask dumb questions?
  • ramakrishna01
  • Born
  • Born
  • ramakrishna01
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel most of the things are proper. Right now I dont find anything to be changed.

Regards.
Ramakrishna D
  • Boredoomzzz
  • Born
  • Born
  • Boredoomzzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its been a very long time i didnt logon to this site. can change the colour scheme and the speed(?).
  • fwendt
  • fwendt
  • Loc: Porto Alegre, Brazil

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have using Ozzu at relative recent time, and have found a lot of great content here.

My sugestions to increase it are:
- A sample code repository
- A base knowlegment for incoming comom requests
- Exporting forum threads at XML and PDF (agregating services)

Thats all. Thank you.
  • gaurav_cs2000
  • Born
  • Born
  • gaurav_cs2000

Post 3+ Months Ago

May b the colour scheme...but then i think whether this is the only thing that distinct u from other forums....

Anyway i wud like u to introduce small and basic level challenges in coding n design and yes please do provide the best solution to all so that they can know what is a quality product and what they are lagging.

Thnxs
Gaurav Gupta
  • ramone_johnny
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ramone_johnny
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant believe we are given this opportunity to provide useful feedback and all Im seeing is something as cheesy as "change the colours - I dont like them"

RJ
  • TByte
  • Born
  • Born
  • TByte

Post 3+ Months Ago

Being a bit new... to the site yet...I've found the information fairly easy to find and did/do not have any current complaints. In being fair with only just joining I have no brash break fix type comments.

Thanks,

--Tbyte
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

cowkiller wrote:
tutorials
free templates
add light and dark thems

aswell as

ringmaster wrote:
Put something on the front of your site that pulls the cream from the message boards
so that ozzu would be a full fledged website instead of JUST a forum

dont get me wrong this is one of the best sites(mostly due to cool people on your staff and posters)
but i think it would be awsome for ozzu to expand.

L8R bigweb
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the main thing you should add are TUTORIALS.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The real big thing I think should be changed is in website reviews you have the one website only limit.

A lot of people have more than one website. I think you'll notice you do too. It is very difficult having one huge post about all of them.

But I know that there are people who would take advantage of this rule and post a topic for every section of their site.

So dont make it unlimited. Try these rules:

1) You can post a maximum of 3 sites for review

2) For every topic you post you must review atleast 3 other sites.

And everything should work smoothly.
  • kvitske
  • kvitske

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think there should be tutorials...!
  • Vanessa
  • Born
  • Born
  • Vanessa

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow!! bigwebmaster, your HOT!! :) to answer your questions, I think I posted on Ozzu a while ago, and I dont remember the success of the post, so i really sorry I can' t help you.
But I do think you are a good looking Brian:) if that's any consolation.
heheheee lol, have a good one!
VL
  • gloryninja
  • gloryninja

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally I think Ozzu is a great site, Nothing needs to be changed. But mabey A choice of themes/styles to choose from. Forgive me if this is already said or done... But...
  • yazer
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • yazer

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I were the owner, I'd take all the old posts (older than 1 year) and convert them to tutorials... Like squeeze the forums and make a nice syrup! :D
the problem is I don't usually find wt i am lookin for with the search and I have to start a new topic cuz i can't browse 20 pages of topics...
  • click4pardeep
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see a better Theme or a New Design which is easy to eyes.
  • websurfer
  • Born
  • Born
  • websurfer

Post 3+ Months Ago

I lost all my info on a computer carsh and I am glad you guys contacted me, so it is important from time to time to drop a line to the users.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

.:My two cents:.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing I would change is the attitude of some of the mods...

But I am not going to go into details of what happened to me, as I dont want (and don't need) more drama in here...

So long, and thanks for the PM...
  • computer
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello Brian,

Personally I think Ozzu is a great site.
but personally i feel that you should add one section in which we can learn about computer(not me :) ) including assembling of computer,tutorials on hardwares and on different computer languages and on different type of programming like that.

Best of luck

computer
  • A.M. Creation Records
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I haven't been here in a long time, and I don't think I ever used this forum much, but I think that there should be more content on the site. It seems to be a waste with just having a forum. I think you need to have interesting information, maybe contests, or maybe even a section in everyone's profile where we can post links of our design work, and maybe even have a gallery where we can upload pics of our work and others can comment on it. Whatever ..just something to keep people coming back. [/url]
  • Zackeriney
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Zackeriney

Post 3+ Months Ago

tutorials, web design codes
  • rezzkilla
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • rezzkilla
  • Loc: Alabama

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ozzu has been great. This213 has helped me on occasion and I fully agree with his post. Many of my threads i begin with 'how to..' because a good tutorial is what any novice programmer is really looking for.
I dig the dragon, the name, and the colors. Please do not change unless given the option to keep current settings.
Again, thanks for all the help OZZU.
  • Sohaib
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

make me an admin... I wanna ban ATNO for a day or two... muahahah
  • Jaw
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, RIA (Rich Internet Architecture) is just around the corner and I'm already starting to work with Macromedia FLEX 2. I think it would be wise to start another forum for RIA Developers.
  • blackhart
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blackhart
  • Loc: Hartbeat

Post 3+ Months Ago

ramone_johnny wrote:
I cant believe we are given this opportunity to provide useful feedback and all Im seeing is something as cheesy as "change the colours - I dont like them"

RJ

The reason for this is cuz we LIKE Ozzu. Thier isn't really anything wrong with the site. But when you vist a site everyday for months, once in a while you'd like to see different colors
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I waited a bit before posting, because I was curious to see if it hadn't already been mentioned, but this is a design forum that OZZU is lacking.

WAP / WML

OZZU has no specific forum for programming / designing for mobile access.

Because I read a lot here, I recognize there is not a dire need for such a forum, as OZZU currently stands, but web designers should be looking into this, and there should be a forum for it. The world is mobile. People are reading their emails on their cellphones night and day (even as I type).

Give us WAP!! It fits in quite well with OZZU's purpose of a design forum. I've been around the block, but right now if an employer asked me to make his website WAP "friendly" and accessable, I would be clueless.
  • lowster11
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lowster11
  • Loc: Sacramento

Post 3+ Months Ago

nothing, I would leave it the same.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Utilization of groups.

I'm not saying anyone is better than anyone else overall, but I am saying some people are better at some things than others.

I see alot of confusion in this area.
Visual, constant recognition is desirable.
  • bitrunner
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • bitrunner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was unaware I was a member of this site. It seems pretty good. I don't really have any suggestions since I never go here. Maybe hold some seminars/webinar type deals? don't know, like at sitepoint for clues. :/
  • coolio49085

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think pre set up "how-to's" would be great
  • JulieAsking
  • JulieAsking

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apologies if this comes in as a double post but I'm not convinced my first reply went through.

I would join with those who request tutorials. Also, a lighter colour, though not white, would be easier on the eyes.

I have not been here for some time but from my previous visits I still remain with a positive feel for Ozzu.

Regards
Xtreme1
http://home.exetel.com.au/tribute
  • ola2005
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

change the website background to a lighter colour for all to see and a tutorial on all major web platforms
  • etechsupport
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know whether some one has mentioned it or not, I suggest to add e-commerce and off topic section on this board. Although I love ozzu even without this.
  • ComputerManDan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ComputerManDan
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The biggest thing I would like to see added is some type of central repository of information. Searching forum posts for the meat of the information is an art and takes time. I am not sure if this could be done with a combination of a FAQ section along with say some TUTORIALS or some type of Helpful Code Info.

My reasoning is so that if say I am working on a project and I need help say adding something like a "light a candle in memory of" page to a site. Digging through the forums could take forever and not really point me in the right direction. If there was a page that listed things such as "Light a candle" or "Refer a Friend to this site" or even broader topics like "Flash" with links to any FAQ, Tutorials, Forum Posts, Some actual working code in PHP, ASP type sections, and links to outside information on the topic.

Thank you for asking our opinions :D
  • SeaDubb
  • SeaDubb
  • Loc: Arizona

Post 3+ Months Ago

Brian,

Thanks for asking for our opinions. It looks like you asked a good question. Sixteen pages of replies in just four days. Not bad.

I have always been bothered at attempts to overly simplify complex things. There is no One Most Important Thing that is going to significantly improve anything. However, in deference to your specific question, I'll follow the example of tedmistro and say "Organization". I agree with MeineChrista when she talks about "breaking down the different areas of programming into programming sections".

I spend most of my visit time in the Programming / Scripting / Coding Forum. In my organizational opinion, it should start with a single page. That page should immediately vector off into at least 25 aspects of web programming, only one or two of which should be PHP-centric. Each of those Aspect Sections should have the kinds of things that have been mentioned many times on these sixteen pages: FAQs, tutorials with actual working code, and then of course, the forum we know and love so well.

In my opinion, the single biggest weakness of this site is the difficulty of finding material even close to what we want to find. Recently I have been getting into Ajax and working the DOM with JavaScript. A little later I'll be learning about SSL, HTTPS and secure email service. Along the way I had a question about XUL and had no place to ask it except in the One Big Programming Forum. That posting was nothing by noise for 99% of the fine people who found 125 pages of posting with essentially No Organization Whatever. It took two days for some fine person to come along, notice the question and answer it. It doesn't need to be so difficult. We are almost as busy as you are and this place would be much more useful if it were better organized and if those running it would understand that there is a lot of things going on out there that do not involve PHP.

Like says the sweet little lady that presides over the House of Commons in the UK as she bangs her gavel on the table: "Oa-duh! Oa-duh I saw-ee! Oa-duh!". Could we please have some Oa-duh in the forum?
  • bluey_3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bluey_3

Post 3+ Months Ago

tho i'm still a newbie, but since you have invited me to give you a feedback. I would like to add a sidebar that have links to other forum pages and shows those online members. And maybe have a page that introduce this site a bit.
  • Mall23
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to see a site with a lighter color.
And, a business oriented area to discuss hosting or development company business issues.
  • jack47
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jack47
  • Loc: LONDON ENGLAND

Post 3+ Months Ago

iM TOO NEW TO CRITISIZE OR SUGGEST CHANGES.I HAVE FOUND EVERY ONE HELPFULL AND ANY PROPLEMS IVE HAD HAVE ALL BEEN SORTED THROUGH POSTS. MABYE SOME COULD POST REPLY,S IN MORE SIMPLE TERMS FOR THOSE OF US WITH LITTLE KNOWLEDGE OF COMPUTERS.

:) :lol: :D
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reading white on black is really hard on eyes. I would definetely change the color combination. Light background, dark text.
  • player
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

It gotto be the LOGO man. See my logo goes 'hand in hand' with my name. everytime I come here its like I have visited a martial arts or Asian Restaurant website.
  • bLunT
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't really had the chance to explore the pros and cons of Ozzu. But judging from it's current appearance, I don't think there's much to be altered including the theme - it's just perfect.

keep up the good work and keep this baby running. :wink:
  • Emersed
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: New Zealand

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys :) thanks for the email BWM .. have had my head immersed deeply in study that its good to come here to unwind.

No sugestions from me as yet. perhaps If I hung here more often you would have more sugestions :)
  • Coraxus
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Coraxus
  • Loc: DryDock Station orbiting over Sov. Latifundia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if there could be a much easier method to quickly answer simple questions that may seem too insignificant to warrant a thread just for it though. I was thinking of maybe having a chat, but then most ideas concerning chats never really get off the ground.

Now I could use the search to try to find what I'm looking for, but being that this forum has become a giant, I may get hundreds and hundreds of search results and it becomes no different than browsing regularly on the forum all because I'm trying to find this one simple needle in a haystack. *shrugs*
  • Catinahat
  • Catinahat

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys do a pretty good job here and response time would be the only thing I can think of right now but understand with the membership of your site of not being able to "get right on it".
  • FlamingpyroXXX

Post 3+ Months Ago

i havnt been here in forever, so i havnt had a chance to explore much of the site, except that IMO it looks great. I probably wouldnt change anything
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love this forum, it gets me all the help I need to get more knowledge on computers. With experts point out stuff, and giving advices. I love it here. Way to go guys!
  • nancyW
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I haven't posted for ages so it is nice to get asked for feedback. I would have to say

1. Tutorials most definitely
2. The heads up on things happening in the web design/development world - articles maybe? Things like the latest algorithm changes on Google which I found out about by accident...and that leads on to my new favourite....
3. RSS! Would LOVE to add ozzu to my favourite feeds and check it first thing each morning

You've reactivated the sleeping nymph here - must come back and post more. Work just got in the way.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

john551 wrote:
Reading white on black is really hard on eyes. I would definetely change the color combination. Light background, dark text.

I have the same opinion. I would change the mod.
  • crystalized
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Judging by the other's responses, and my own opinions, I think we should have several skins so that people can pick and choose their own (skin contest?).

Also, I agree with some comments about the fact that "feedback" isn't taken very well by the moderators here. It's all "we don't need that" or "that'll just encourage spam" (as if any other forums couldn't?). It's almost like they know exactly how it will turn out without any willingness to give it a shot.
  • InfinityEye
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe an extra theme/style. This is like my second post or so, but I don't think this theme is attractive, or how you want to call it.
That theme could also include a front page or portal.
  • Mendax
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mendax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definatly tutorials
  • angy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • angy

Post 3+ Months Ago

probably far off but i'd like to see a link exchange forum.
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

The main thing for me that I'd like to change would be the upgrade to Vb
  • Milorad
  • Milorad
  • Loc: Doboj, Republika Srpska

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm everithing is people say is ok but I think that only thing mising here is more people :-) and some kind of better search, my only problem is to find something and some kind of start page with all other things like download links news FAQ RSS tutorials and not forum on first page.
Reason why I am not active member with 1000+ posts is that everithing is allredy writen.
And thaks for everything, without OZZU my server and forum would exist in may dreams only :-)
If you understand because me my english is bad bad bad ...
  • dreamzero
  • dreamzero

Post 3+ Months Ago

1.program codes/downloadable available at all times templates...make it more eye catching the design/graphics of this website but the content is very good enough but more through the growing population of technology now a days more powers have a nice day....
  • bugsdeepak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bugsdeepak
  • Loc: Banglore-India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Thanks for the invitation. I been using this forum when ever I have some doubts. The one thing that I think need to be changed is the exact answer for my queries.

I think the moderators can work out on a strategy to give best results for queries posted.

Regards,
Antony
  • miner
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • miner

Post 3+ Months Ago

My only suggestion is move ozzu.com to vB with the latest 3.5.1 version with lots of wonderful features a forum needs, both on admin, security and user sides..

I am not against phpBB but a huge community like ozzu must be swithed to vB.
  • Blake
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would really like to have a number of different skins for us to choose from, and you could change to the new invision board, it would give you a lot more features and it wld look cooler. :)
  • developer_x
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Straightly speaking, the moderators should improve the way they treat the members.

Best of luck,
  • Valeria
  • Born
  • Born
  • Valeria

Post 3+ Months Ago

Personally, I wouldn't really want anything changed. My own inactivity is due to my RL status, making it only possible for me to get online once a week. With my job on another forum, I have been neglecting many others that I shouldn't be. >__<
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm relatively new to the forum but have found it to be a great resource and wonderful community of talented individuals. If I were to make one suggestion I too would ask for tutorials.

For my part, I tell everyone about this forum and hope to be able to contribute more in the future :)
  • Dimatson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Dimatson

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great website.
Love accessing techy gurus when I'm stuck.
Dark background makes it a wee bit hard on the eyeballs though.
The light grey background in the menu, with the black lettering is easier than white on black.
Swap it around.

But that's just me being extremely picky.
:-)
  • Jigger
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Jigger
  • Loc: Quebec

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gotta say, beeing a student in IT challenges me lots. Every time I needed help for anything, I got it by either chatting bout different ways to do things or dead-on solutions.

I love the people, the look and the feel of OZZU!

Thanks

Jig
  • Tannu4u
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, i feel that there should be a seperate blogs where users can upload different articles, slideshows,PDF & HTML books,Word Files and others types of matter that is useful to other persons who can search this part and get the most.

There must be more info about basic concepts such as basics about WINDOWS LINUX and others.

May be this may help OZZU to become a leader in Knowledge and IT world.

All my best wishes to the Moderators ans the users.

And at last i would like to than all the moderators with whom efforst through this site i have learned a lot.

Amit
  • Ziptop
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ziptop

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've read through a few of the posts to this thread and discovered that my initial thoughts on the subject seem to be echoed quite a lot.

Tutorials.

Tutorials would be a great help, as would other similar learning and productivity tips, software/template downloads.

Sorry, I know its not very original, (especially having read a few of the posts) but it was mt initial thought on the subject.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot about Ozzu, actually. *blush* When I have a question about something, I use Google to find an answer. I'm pretty sure that's how I found Ozzu in the first place. What I've found is that there aren't many questions that haven't been asked, answered, and documented a thousand times before they occurred to me. Sadly, in my experience, forums don't lend themselves to efficient searching; consequently, I've been moving away from them and toward webdev portals or technology-specific repositories of information.

I think that the decision to try to be all things to all people would be most detrimental to Ozzu. There are already plenty of web sites with tutorials, with code repositories, with downloads, with directories of links. I don't understand the purpose of reinventing the wheel just to make Ozzu a one-stop shop for its members.

Instead, I would suggest investing that time and effort into making the Ozzu experience more efficient. Someone made a comment about squeezing the posts here and extracting syrup from them. Absolutely. There's this virtual treasure trove here, but what purpose does it serve if members can't make use of it without spending ages digging through irrelevant material?

Re-organise. Streamline. Time should be spent processing all the information that's here. Someone suggested a tutorial wiki, something that can be modified and perfected on an ongoing and collaborative basis. This is a wonderful idea.

Ozzu is about its community. Whatever changes are made should utilise the strength of that community and be made in order to nurture that community and optimise its experience here.

Thanks for reminding me that Ozzu exists, and for asking our opinion. (To that end, fwiw, dmnforums delivers a "HotThreads" newsletter to my Inbox, which goes a *really* long way toward reminding me that they exist. Such a notification process (or, even better, RSS feeds, as suggested by someone else!) would be fantastic addition to the site.
  • twilasue
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

:wink: :wink:

Well, not having time to read, ummm, 18 pages of ideas, I can only speak for myself and say WHOA!

when someone who runs a great board like this takes the time and sends a private im --i know me & 1500 ?? other people got one -- asking for my feedback.

That kind of thing tends to win my loyalty, give me that community/ down home/ wanted feeling (i'm an old sap, yes that's me)

I did see some people mention board colors, and for someone who's eyes are going faster than the rest of her aging bod' I agree, anything that's easier to read is a big plus to me!

But I haven't been here hardly at all, I find a good site then despite my best efforts & my 'latest plan' to track my best resources these things get lost amidst all the bookmarks & rss feeds & my best laid out notes,.

But this place seems to be rocking right along, so why the need for feedback? Are you having trouble with $$ for hosting?? I'm broke myself but I am going to make this a place to give my best try out to and come here or at least swing by once a day. (OK i'm going to try - I don't have much wisdom to impart, lol sorry)

& if it's the cash thing, well just as soon as that free $$ or 2 comes by if I've found as much as it looks like is here I'd gladly send it your way.

I guess I'm saying let's try it out.

what a ramble, go nowhere post, thanks for calling me back here! I've always like when I ended up here.....

name's twilasue
aka
Sandy
  • Kali
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kali
  • Loc: Atlanta

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm with the rest, I'd like to see Tutorials added. I'm self taught on most of what I do as far as webdesign, so I find tutorials expremely helpful.
  • RSMEDUDE
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got another idea that you can take or leave as you wish. I was just looking up my user name so I could find an old thread of mine. I find that something that might be good to add to the member list would be a "search" feature.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can do that by two ways. You can enter your username in the general search to find all post/topic containing your posts. Or in your profile you can find the link "find all posts by <your username>".
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can suggest that the currently browsed forum can be given for online members in their profile.
  • Gordon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout and everything, the only thing I would like to see is some tutorials and articles. They are always useful and like someone already mentioned they would bring in plenty of new visitors and members.
  • frezasaga
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frezasaga

Post 3+ Months Ago

ask for me......OZZU is perfect, a helpfull member, a good admin,if i wanna changed is the color of the furom......its too black..............changed to light color............
  • kanaduh
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

if one thing could change then i would want it to be that when i ask a question.....who ever answers gives me an answer not a confusing riddle..
  • templastorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • templastorm
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to see quotes circling around the forums.... maybe at the header.... every time your refresh, thousands of them! :-D
  • shyguyjeff
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

color scheme and design i think... something that can attract more... :roll:
  • s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d
  • s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The black theme is great but not in the places where all the input text fields. I find it difficult to find the cursor when typing and I'm on a laptop which adds to the problem of accidentally touching the trackpad and the cursor goes somewhere not intented to be.

Maybe I'm not well versed in this version of your discussion board software because usually under the member profile tab, I ussually expect a setting that allows users to change the theme or look of the interface. So I guess provide an alternative from the "all in black site" for us users who sits in front of a computer that exceed well beyond the daily grind and ease us from the eyestrain that we endure each and everday.

Other than that, it's a great site.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, if you wish to use the black based templates I can suggest for CounterStrike, if something other than black then Cobalt 2.0 is very good.
Finally, it would be a good idea if the members would be given their own choice for the individual theme.
  • ann3
  • Loc: kuala lumpur

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've started coming to this site 8 months back...

i'm fine with the stuff you guys put up here cause i don't bother bout the looks...but the content is very important to me

i have posted few things asking some help...some of the patrons does help me...a lot...but sadly, the newbies aren't given help that much from the moderators ...

just a few of the 'old' people here does give attention to people like me...

in the end, i stop posting and asking bout my problems in programming
....and i just visit here to see what's new....

i hope ur realize that when u put up such effort on a website like this, make sure u maintain it very well interms of your objective of setting this piece up.....because your stuff is very good but ur people aren't that good...
  • Chris-Duff
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

hI BWM

Tutorial would certainly be a good idea - Ozzu could expand and be more than a forum - but informative site with articles - tutorial etc

a bit like http://www.dmxzone.com/ - or http://www.flash-db.com/

but since Ozzu covers many topics the site could be massive and be even more a reference for people in this line of work around the globe.

since there are many expert in their own fields passionate about what they do and regular to Ozzu, I am sure that tutorial and info would flow easily.

The reward for the people submitting tutorial ?? let them put theit own url on the articles for their ranking.

I would be up for that :D
  • karyo
  • Born
  • Born
  • karyo

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me the look is good theres nothing to change, but has something to be added its the tutorial it is very helpful especially to the newbie like me.
  • Digitelle
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: BRKLYN-NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I came to Ozzu a year and a half ago, when web design was my bread and butter. Since I have moved on to Entertainment Tech, I do a bit of design and programming here and there, but not nearly as much, so I don't run into as many problems needing answers from you guys.

I always felt Ozzu is a great source of information and wisdom for webdev, but I never really felt 'part of the community' I don't know if that is really the goal here, but for that reason I didn't stick around and hang out when there were no pressing cross-browser issues to deal with.

I remember that when I was new here, and I was just busting out of using Dreamweaver and starting to hand code without tables, I posted a site for review, and felt that the reviews were more scathing than helpful. Suggestions for how to make it more usable, rather than discussion of my horrible color scheme would have been much more welcome. But that is sort of out of BWM or the mods hands I guess.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

I would add tutorials, right off the bat, first page, for how to go about coding. I still can't get my head around php or javascript for that matter, and it would be astoundingly helpful to me.
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, Ozzu is pretty awesome but...

I would change the 'signature' option in the profile to allow bold fonts and hyperlinks w/out HTML, {makes it easier for learning designers like me ;)}
  • dhoyin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dhoyin
  • Loc: west africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

in recent times i had serious trouble giving ozzu.com in most of the cybercafe i do my browsing. it was at a time i really needed some seroius advice on a project.so please i wish i could send a post to ozzu.com from my mail box and get reply.
  • northjersey78
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually don't mind the black skin to the forum. I would suggest at least an option of which skin to use, as I would probably choose to stick with this one.

Otherwise, I will agree with most people and say that tutorials/ projects would be great. I took a year's worth of courses in web design & e-commerce development but don't do much with it anymore. Having some of the pros around here post brief tutorials & perhaps some projects for people to work on would be great.

I would also like to see an expansion of some forums. I think an E-Commerce forum is necessary - the news/ info on Ebay, Amazon, etc... Perhaps a Yahoo or MSN forum within the Search Engine group?

That's all I got for now. I cheated and gave more than 1 thing I would like to see changed.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
That's all I got for now. I cheated and gave more than 1 thing I would like to see changed.

Ya, I have given more than one choice too. We wish to have the permission of expressing at least two wishes. :)
  • Whoa666
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

YEAH MAN! Have an introduction of what this site does for individuals and you may get more people wanting to proceed and take a look at the content as the Forum is very dark and dull rite!

Also Flash and Animation and kool looking gif creating tutorials would be fantastic.
  • mozqito
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mozqito

Post 3+ Months Ago

As suzie said i also want to see some css style tutorials that would be fun to learn.
  • BaDD CoDeR
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The reason I come here, and why I would frequent it even more often, is ability to get GOOD TECHNICAL ADVICE on OS/software issues, protection from spyware including those from MS and Sony, help removing viruses, and to a lesser degree, web page development and SEO. (Anything to not have to go to my genius brother for help as often. ;) ) The more I can learn here from people who seriously know what they are talking about (not just making it up), the more I will come. I would like to post sites here for help but so far I was too lame to do so.

One learning area PARTICULARLY important to me is help with PRIVACY ISSUES!!! I don't want MS or Sony or anyone tracking which CDs I listen to or put on an iPod!! I SERIOUSLY want help protecting my privacy!!!

One problem I have here is lack of patience waiting for a reply. So maybe we need to supply more coffee for the most knowledgable coders here to encourage them to be here more often. ;)

OTHER COMMENTS I COULDN'T RESIST (sorry :( ):
Current color is fine with me.
A loyalty program will probably make me even less likely to come here.
Tutorials would be great!!
Let us ask our own questions sometimes WITHOUT having to go to prior posts that are NOT always our same question, and let us do it without getting our heads bitten off, even if we are gingerbread. ;)
The mods here usually do a VERY good job and don't let flames get out of hand.
Thanks for the very well run site!!! :)
  • rtg
  • Born
  • Born
  • rtg
  • Loc: Geneva, Switzerland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mr. bigwebmaster,

Thanks for the invitation despite my being not a fulltime Ozzu member. I am a "beggar" of technical information-this is the reason why I come to your site. :idea: I have read responses and comments from other members and I wish they would have the patience and be straightforward in providing solutions to seemingly "simple queries".
The webmaster can act as the officiating entity to improve the situation. You have a great site ! :) Keep it up :arrow:
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I know you wanted feedback so you could improve ozzu and I know what I am going to say won't help much but I seriously think there is nothing wrong with how it is now, I love ozzu, the site colours, the way it's being designed, the help is always great! and there are always friendly people here.

I used to be on here a lot more than I am now but that is not because of this interest, that is because I got a lot more busy since the times I was always on here, I mostly came on here in college to learn or look at the websites people where making while I was in college when they where teaching me the things that I didn't wanna know much about lol

there will be occasions when I use this, I just won't be on it as much as I used to, but the good thing about ozzu is it's like google, there is almost always an answer to be found here, be it already there or be it someone knows, you just have to ask :)

so I think everything is perfect here at ozzu and I hope it remains like that :)
  • tigerphp1
  • tigerphp1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skin choices would be very nice: whites, blues, greens.... ahh, I can see a whole rainbow :)
Coding challenges would really rock, but other than that I love this site!!
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

lock threads after thirty 30-45 days of inactivity.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't really have a problem with anything. it's very simle to navigate and find good forum post on here. but...

the only thing i would change is the whole layout. i would spice it by changing the colors and design. the color gets old after so many months of coming to the same site. but that's just my opinion.

-kapvu
  • wonderland
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: P.R.China

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm so sorry that i haven't come here for a period...
anyway, thanks for the invatation...
if there's something to change, i think it should be a new board for FAQs...
do u think it's ok?
waiting for ur reply...
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kap-Vu wrote:
i don't really have a problem with anything. it's very simle to navigate and find good forum post on here. but...

the only thing i would change is the whole layout. i would spice it by changing the colors and design. the color gets old after so many months of coming to the same site. but that's just my opinion.

-kapvu

noooo lol

or if that happens let the users pick the profile they want to appear

cuz i love this layout and colour scheme :)
  • iOXeR
  • Student
  • Student
  • iOXeR

Post 3+ Months Ago

When using the google search part of the website, the font color of the input box is light gray and the background color is white making it very difficult to see. Hope this helps!

It looks like there are quite a few good suggestions already here. Good luck!
  • fRX
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't post that much here in ozzu but...one of the best aspect and traits that this site gives newbies, novice and pro's alike are the variety and vast sources of information (in terms of problems,codes,..etc). If perhaps you want to change or add something...Here are my list:

1- theme options...(stick on more dark themes like this one....current theme is a bit soothing in the eye...add more)

2- Mods and admins should work and help more on to encouraging newbies and exchange info from the pros....(no bad attititude...).....unity is the key

3 - create events,raffle draws, gimmicks, interactivity to the site

4 - add more codebanks, tutorials, downloadable goodies

5- FINALLY................
I or We(majority) wants to see OZZU to become not just a webmaster forum site but instead a much more bigger one...A site where not just forum postings but something that we could interact more and relate more onto (like blogs, email accounts,interactive chat room). Webmasters, Admins, Mods in ozzu? This is some task that u guys probably can do...(i know it's a bit ambitious but if this can be implemented...OZZU will ROCK.........) We could maybe donate some codes for the new modified OZZU if necessary...

Well....I think that's it 4now.....I'll leave it up to u guyz@OZZU..may god speed..
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me personally feel very happy with this forum and don't realy want anything to be changed. I don't know if this is what you wanted posted here, but I feel happy with this forum and how it is and what's in it. :D
  • newbie_2005
  • newbie_2005

Post 3+ Months Ago

as a noobe i would really love tutorials, because you folks have had first hand experience, which is very invaluable, moreover such a thing will be much greater than books - it will be interactive (we could ask questions)
  • idodesign
  • Loc: In your dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe this has been suggested before, but...I realy want an option to choose my own forum skin. Dark skins is ok but this is too dark..maybe add some light gray would be nice :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

idodesign wrote:
maybe this has been suggested before, but...I realy want an option to choose my own forum skin. Dark skins is ok but this is too dark..maybe add some light gray would be nice :)

Bigwebmaster is working on a lighter skin which will be the default, so yes, this will happen, and this existing theme will be available for members that like it to choose. Time of completion is currently unknown, but it is on the agenda and being worked on.
  • arianne
  • Born
  • Born
  • arianne

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am quite hapy with the site. Its really helpful to be able to look through posts. Some tutorials would be nice, and maybe the members of the site could submit tutorials that you could look through and put up just to ease the workload.

XX
  • Randomality
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Bathurst, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

For some time Ive had no quarms about Ozzu, however I have suggestion now, If in the programing forum if you could have a symbol in front of the topic title that says what prog language the topic is referin to...? that would be great
  • Roostbuster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Durban

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its been such a loooooong time since I've posted last..Being in a tiny town in South Africa I get on the net maybe twice/three a month, if I'm lucky...but each time I have a query about web development I come to this site..The info here is invaluable to someone like me.

HOWEVER! The database does need cleaning...searching the forum gives me a whole bunch off goop i got to go through, before I can find the info I'm looking for.Maybe Ozzu should work on a from end that contains tutorials,code depository(not too sure I spelled that right) and info for the n00bie on Posting(i.e. do a search on the forum before you post the exact same question someone else did)..

Besided that Ozzu ROCKS :twisted: dont change the black theme...I'm suffering from arch eye with the whiteness of the net.LoL
  • dvduval
  • dvduval

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me, ozzu hurts my eyes after reading it for a while.
It would be nice if I could at least change templates in my profile.
  • a_gq_gentleman
  • Born
  • Born
  • a_gq_gentleman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish OZZU would show up more in google searches.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

a_gq_gentleman wrote:
I wish OZZU would show up more in google searches.

the more content you help add to the site the more it will show up
  • Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't think of anything I would change, I live in the dark -so black is nice...

Regards...
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is probably way too late to be considered, but it seems to me that it would benefit everyone -- especially newbies -- if there was a clearer way to know where to post and where to find posts/threads.

I sometimes am not sure whether to post in the General Discussion section or one of the specialized sections.

That said, I like your site and am very appreciative when I get constructive answers to questions and comments I put in my posts.
  • emcee_furnace
  • Born
  • Born
  • emcee_furnace

Post 3+ Months Ago

more color. i havn't been here in forever.
  • web21
  • Born
  • Born
  • web21

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I am not really active because we have actually many projects to do from other freelance site. But sure I will check in the nest future and learn more what this site have to offer vs competition where we make business

the only thing I may have to saiy, is I'm not really feeling good with the colour scheme. Look like the old time on the web and where we done some adult project and when all (or most of them) had black frontapage. Just my personal idea, since you asked.

but the site have a good menu and this is the more improtant thing we gaev to our clients when time come to design or code their new website application.

Patrick
uandweb
  • JohnScott
  • JohnScott
  • Loc: Seattle/ Tokyo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Color - hard on the eyes. Otherwise, I think it's a nicely laid out forum. :)
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

vbulletin.
i know its a commercial product and it costs money, but lately ive been on one forums that uses it, and it just seems so much nicer than phpbb. not saying ozzu's bad, i just think it would be better if it were in vbulletin.
then i got to thinking about the pain it would be to migrate all the settings and customization you guys have been making @ ozzu over the years, and forgot about it.

i do however think a "rep" system like the one availiable to vbulletin is quite a unique feature and something that i would like to see implemented on this board.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

natural_angel33 wrote:
I haven't been here in a while because I felt too stupid to be here. I will agree with pervious comments about the mods. I was made to feel as though I were stupid, and was treated rudely. Sometimes it's hard to understand answers to questions when you really are new to a subject. This leads to more questions, and when those questions are made out to be "stupid questions" it tends to hurt one's feelings.

There is a clique on Ozzu. And if you don't belong, then you are just another Newbie.

This is true, some of the mods here can be very anal and up themselves.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Feeling stupid" means you don't know as much as you thought you did about a subject.
Get used to that feeling, it's part of learning & happens to everyone.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
"Feeling stupid" means you don't know as much as you thought you did about a subject.

Er, I think what he is saying is that he posted a question and he got ripped on for not knowing the answer.

And the mods here can be just as stupid as anyone, if not more so.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would be interested to find out what it is about the moderators that makes you think that we are "more" stupid than anyone. We all have our areas of knowledge, nobody here would ever be criticized for posting a question and not knowing the answer.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only time I think you might get "criticized" is if you ask a question like

Quote:
What is ____

With out any anything that shows us that you have already looked.
Most of the time we will just respond to a google search. No question is a dumb one.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

darksat wrote:
joebert wrote:

Er, I think what he is saying is that he posted a question and he got ripped on for not knowing the answer.

And the mods here can be just as stupid as anyone, if not more so.

No, you don't have any idea what they're trying to say, & frankly you don't care.
You feel like you've been treated unfairly by a moderator & you decided to come in here & let off some steam about it.

Why else would you bring up a 6+ month old topic & make a point in two posts to express your negative opinion about the moderators ?
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think thats obvious.
Yea I was treated unfairly by a Mod.
Yes I am letting off steam.
And this is the place to do it.
If I could change one think its the attitude by some of the Mods.
BWM is ok but some people here, especially the mods can be a bit unfair and irritating.
Its one of the reasons I dont come around here any more, and considering the drop in board activity since the last time I was posting regularly I am not the only one.
Now I understand that you have made thousands of posts so you feel like you have to defend your little online hangout, but judging by your post count and join date your the last person who knows what a noob feels like.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I find funny is prior to making your comment about the mods you had several posts removed. So your beef is you posted material that a mod deemed questionable and removed it and now you are upset. Boo-hoo!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Part of the reason for the drop in "apparent activity" is I only post about half as much as I used to. That's about 3000 posts a year less for OZZU compounded by the number of replies they would generate. I would roughly estimate that's around 10,000 total posts OZZU will be short this year because I've been busy.

Not in an attempt to exaggerate the importance of one person to a community, but have you ever considered how huge OZZU would be if only 10% of our members posted at the rate I do. And I've only started 5% of OZZU's topics (a little over 900 of the 45,000 topics on the board, yet I'm over 16,000 total posts, the bulk of which are efforts to help someone. It would only take a very small percentage of our regular members to post at that rate to make OZZU extremely huge.

darksat - I do recall the problems from before. Let me say it's nice to have you back. Hope you stay and enjoy the place. In reference to a question you asked about the loss of SEO experts, indeed many of the most experience ones have been too busy with their real lives and are either no longer here or seldom here. The SEO boards are indeed in much need of someone much experienced and helpful with SEO. We are quite aware of this.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
but judging by your post count and join date your the last person who knows what a noob feels like

It's not that I don't know, I simply don't care.
  • neonitb
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like in Digital point and V7n I would like Ozzu members(admin and moderators specially)to be allowed to give points to other members for posting High Quality Articles. That would determine the position of the member.
  • the3inetwork
  • Born
  • Born
  • the3inetwork
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I placed my first project today, which is really important to me.

Now my project is active for 35 days, but I'm only allowed 15 bids on my project. :D

Now, no offense to anyone I haven't yet met. But what if a bunch of unqualified people
bid on my project none of which who actually could get the job done and just want my
money. Now my 15 bids would be used and I didn't find the programmer I'm looking for.

What happens if that occurs, am I out my time and effort to try to track down the right
programmer? :shock:

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

the3inetwork wrote:
I placed my first project today, which is really important to me.

Now my project is active for 35 days, but I'm only allowed 15 bids on my project. :D

Obviously you didn't place your first project here since this is your first post. As an employer you should know in advance what you are looking for. If the candidate doesn't meet the requirements don't hire them.
  • the3inetwork
  • Born
  • Born
  • the3inetwork

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't mind a whole lot, how others treat me. Simply because if they treat me poorly they
clearly don't know me well or at all.

Quote:
Obviously you didn't place your first project here since this is your first post.

By the way, its so sweet to basically be called a liar. Obviously................

And this is my first project that I've chosen to get help with. If there was more of me and more time
in the day, I'd do it myself.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

the3inetwork, what are you talking about? You have not posted a project at OZZU.
  • the3inetwork
  • Born
  • Born
  • the3inetwork

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm,

Well my apologise big guy. From the look of GetAFreeLancer.com it
appeared as though this was a webmaster support forum for them.

But as it would begin to appear, is that ozzu is not associated in any way
with them. yes, no?

Anyways, have a good one....
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

no. OZZU is not connected with them. We are definitely not a support forum for them.
  • httpftp21
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • httpftp21

Post 3+ Months Ago

No,
Issues with color scheme this one is much better then the previous all black.

Need some answers to my post
  • r0bin
  • Loc: Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

So uhhh.. Fixing the PM / Email notification would be good... Haven't visited this site in three / four years, and just got an email saying I had a new PM :P
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

More themes....preferably dark themes...because the current dark theme still uses the light banner.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

murcielagossi wrote:
More themes....preferably dark themes...because the current dark theme still uses the light banner.

Actually, it's the light theme that is using the dark themes banner. Dark theme came out first.
  • Combatcoda
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd change the fact that I didn't know about this site sooner. Lol, nah but for real... I'd change it to where there was a chat box to where every1 could chat at once.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Combatcoda wrote:
I'd change the fact that I didn't know about this site sooner. Lol, nah but for real... I'd change it to where there was a chat box to where every1 could chat at once.

You mean like an IRC? I thought this was good enough, all you have to do is refresh yourself and you have yourself an organized chat room ;)
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Opps Bogey, the dark banner is what i meant...before (when I first found OZZU) it was only the dark theme, and still the best in my mind.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

murcielagossi wrote:
Opps Bogey, the dark banner is what i meant...before (when I first found OZZU) it was only the dark theme, and still the best in my mind.

Umm... you successfully confused me now :lol: care to explain? :oops: :cry: :lol:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

r0bin wrote:
So uhhh.. Fixing the PM / Email notification would be good... Haven't visited this site in three / four years, and just got an email saying I had a new PM :P

It could may well be you received a Spam PM and by the time you logged on it was removed by Bigwebmaster, so it will have notified you of a PM but you wouldn't have received it because it was probably binned by the time you got around to logging on again.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'de like to be able to upload the image for my signature directly to the ozzu server(s) instead of having to put it into something like photobucket and link it to the image url over the internet. Doing the url thing for all other images is a good idea though, that way you don't have a terabyte of space filled with images for posts on threads.
  • murcielagossi
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Umm... you successfully confused me now :lol: care to explain? :oops: :cry: :lol:

I had meant that I like the dark theme and the light themes header is the same as the dark header. And the dark theme was all that was around when I first got here...and its still my favorite.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh :lol:
  • jtrageser
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: server23.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't been on here in a long time, still looks the same as it did years ago. Perhaps it's time for a new design. I like the layout it has now, perhaps some more new options for the users to choose from would be a good idea. Also, I'm not sure which version of phpBB this is, but if it's not the newest version, perhaps the script should be updated too. That's all for now. As I spend some more time around here I'll let you guys know if I notice anything else that could be improved.
  • glues4wood
  • Born
  • Born
  • glues4wood

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Bigwebmaster,

Haven't check the site out in a while
I tend to agree with the other members the color sceme is cool
how about the option for members to make some graphics for the site and you can store them on the site for others to use as custom themes

I also think there should also be some tutorials and members art section
so we could checkout each others work, would give us all an idea of each others skills

But other than that I'd say the site is cool keep up the good work !

glues4wood
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me as of ozzu is a no follow forum...hope it became do follow...lol...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • spork
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does that mean? :scratchhead:
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty sure Bigweb has made it so backlinks don't get counted from Ozzu, or something like that.

I wouldn't hold my breathe on that being removed.. ever.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, indeed, if BWM enabled the follow on links, ATNO / WM would be black listed instantly with over 18,000 back links.

Also the main reason I've found for having the no follow is to reduce the amount of spammers.
  • joebert
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Also the main reason I've found for having the no follow is to reduce the amount of spammers.

They say spammers see the source code of a page before the navigation.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
ATNO / WM

Who?
  • psyche
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • psyche

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
Yes, indeed, if BWM enabled the follow on links, ATNO / WM would be black listed instantly with over 18,000 back links.

Agree with that no follow is one of the step to avoid spamming...And I understand that well...I just said in my previous post that if ever I could change in Ozzu, I just want to make it do follow...that just me for the BL to be counted but I think that is too risky for the spammer...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
SpooF wrote:
ATNO / WM

Who?

For some reason I took WebMaster as two words instead of one, forgot about the first part, true,

ATNO/TW
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm.. if I could change one thing...

I guess I'd like to see more board style options. They don't have to necessarily be from the CSS contest :wink: , but it would be nice to have something besides black or gray.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. I would like to see a new design to ozzu, or mabye more options to choose from as just the two options can get very boring. The logo is fine. I think mabye a new colour scheme would be great.

2. Staff: The staff are good at what they do. But there seems to be this line between staff and members. I think staff should learn to value members more and mabye take some time to stop using their power and lighten up a little. Sometimes it feels like ozzu is run like a buisness and not a online forum.

3. Arcade: I would love to see some kind of games arcade on ozzu for all members not just premium members.

4. I would like to see some more smiles.

5. Flash in our sigs.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

penguin wrote:
5. Flash in our sigs.

Please God Noooooooooo!!!!!

and why no silly pills penguin?
  • Reflections
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

Its good that Ozzu is changing.
The black banner on the top should be changed to another color like blue etc. which will give Ozzu a new appearance.
  • mooseye
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mooseye

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't read the entire 24 pages of suggestions, so if this is a repeat forgive me.

I would like to see a requirement to post a follow up from the original poster of a help question. You know, did this help or which suggestion solved your problem.
Maybe make it so if you didn't follow up, then you could not ask/post again until you do. I suppose this would be difficult to implement. Probably have to fall to the moderators.
I don't recall seeing this on any board. I think it would benefit all members and viewers in finding solutions and answers that work and avoiding repeat questions and people trying things that do not produce desirable results.
  • Reflections
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, I am agree with u.
  • Lord Sage
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really nice improvements!
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing specific just now BWM

But last time I logged in I did notice the changes, or one or two that jumped out at me lol

What would I change..I really don't know at this minute.
  • Reflections
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If possible change the top banner with a new colour and design.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember why I went awol now lolol

I could'nt find the smilies and to me the replies did not seem very helpful so I gave up the ghhost:

I now just saw the smilies for like one second then *ping they were gone..that means a *doh

I just clicked 'advanced reply' and was sent off site to a search engine..*duh

When I get here I want to post in the text box and add my smilies without searching for them (I HAVE LOTS OF SITES TO KEEP UPDATED SO TIME IS LIMITED THESE DAYS). I don't hold with teasers. Example, today they are there one minute but gone in a second. Maybe some kind soul can explain how to find them quickly!

No smilies used in this message!

Quote:
If possible change the top banner with a new colour and design.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You cannot be serious?

AH! the smilies are now in my view in 'edit'...oops...now they are gone...this is a joke right?

llolololololollolol
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

suzie wrote:
I just clicked 'advanced reply' and was sent off site to a search engine..*duh

That is precisely what you do to get to the smilies, you hit "Advanced Reply" - then you can see full posting form. Why would you get sent off to a search engine? Can you post a screenshot? I have a hunch you might have spyware on your computer that is hijacking the link or something. Does that ever happen for you anywhere else where you are getting redirected to some search engine? What search engine is it?
  • Evenhost-PR
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

More photo competitions >.<
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think it'll be precise, and not confusing when for example forum in the Market, in premium members section be put on with one or two sample of posts so members will not get confused posting anything else.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
i think it'll be precise, and not confusing when for example forum in the Market, in premium members section be put on with one or two sample of posts so members will not get confused posting anything else.

I'm sorry, what?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Craig, thanks for asking. I mean in the premium member section. There's one Market forum for trade and sell ( under your own risks ).

I don't really know how to use it. I think it's good that we have a manual/ instructions or something specifically for that forum so we will not risk posting something against ozzu rules.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Question solved. Seemed only a misundertstanding. Thanks, Ozzu and all great moderators, :)
  • Toby01
  • Toby01

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is the only site will get better and everybody's input would help be a very successful site..Tp be honest skins, and all that as long as i find what i need to find then that makes me happy...:)

soulty bring some ideas into it i mean some of your findings do you need to be a designer to see these or probably need them pointed out...can't you get on board and do somethink to make it better...xD
  • Toby01
  • Toby01

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry or posting again but member since 2004 wow 3 post lol it must have been formated lost the site ieving a email about the chances which i added to favourites then ...well that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it..
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's always good to see people from back in 2004 who haven't posted actually take part in some way nearly 4 years later. Very impressive. I'm one of the 2004ers who just never went away :lol:.
  • Toby01
  • Toby01

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes i agree i was actually trying to remember at first why i was here...how embarrasing i was thinking....lol i remembered after a search a hard drive issue...anyway i wanted to make my own web page and i think i will be on this forum more often :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent. You can't go wrong here i can't tell you how much credit i could give to Ozzu for the help that i've got from here with website designover the last 3 and a bit years.

I was a novice to begin with and was using frames etc to build a site, now it's all PHP and CSS etc etc and it's only just beginning.

Good to hear you're sticking around.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too am a 2004...

Ah! I get this smiley thing now. They are there till I press enter then gone, thats in advanced mode as you say BWM but the minute I press enter the smilies are gone. You cannot backtrack because the 'advanced' is also gone.

Quote:
That is precisely what you do to get to the smilies, you hit "Advanced Reply" - then you can see full posting form. Why would you get sent off to a search engine? Can you post a screenshot? I have a hunch you might have spyware on your computer that is hijacking the link or something. Does that ever happen for you anywhere else where you are getting redirected to some search engine? What search engine is it?

The advanced is jut fine now. No idea what the problem was. I know now what I would change and thats to have the smilies always visable till your post is finished.

Anyway I go with what everyone else wants of course.

No smilie because they went lol
  • Toby01
  • Toby01

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now i need to get use to this forum, i am after creating a shop online...to start of with i know this is the wrong section were to post lol but to get a template to start of with were do i get one from for starters....also i would like to say i am a newbie at all the web design and stuff...but any help would be appreciated...even if you feel like telling me to go away go easy when you say it...I might be barking up the wrong tree, but you all seem well advance on me....Thanks

Toby
  • Toby01
  • Toby01

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot to mention could some 1 direct me which section i need to go to ask this question...I: am trying to stick to the rules :)
  • Reflections
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to "general discussion" or "advertising section" to ask your questions.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reflections wrote:
Go to "general discussion" or "advertising section" to ask your questions.

No, for this type of thing, go to Web Design or Programming section :lol:
  • Reflections
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank u Bogey.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 382 posts