Anyone tried Fedora Core 4 yet?

• theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

As the subject says, has anyone given FC4 a try yet? I'm planning to try an install in the next couple of days and was wondering if anyone has had any problems or pleaseant suprises...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

i upgraded my FC3 install to FC4 and it seems that i'm having problems with yum & other config files. someone else on fedoraforum.org said they had the same problem i did and by disabling the livna repos then yum would work, and it did (the yum.conf file comes installed with the livna, dag, etc. repos) but it was still a pain in the @$$. so today when i get home i'm going to reinstall fedora because i already backed up my stuff from FC3 :) so i'll post again later about how that goes.
also, when upgrading FC3 it seemed to take FOREVER. when i installed fc3 it took all of like 20 / 25 minutes, but FC4 was just dragging. but yea - i'll see about the time it takes for a fresh install also.

also - gnome was weird. like, the menu's...were weird. everything is in a different place. lol so you have to search around to do what you want..but once you find shyte then its all good. gnome also seemed to take a little more time to respond with the menu's and such. unsure why. can't report on kde as when i try to logon in kde i get an error, but i believe that is also due to my FC3 upgrade.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers fot the info. I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks, so I might give them until after I get back to iron out some of the bugs before I do the upgrade.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea, that may be best.
also there isn't much software wise...but FC3 packages work when you install them in FC4. so i had to install the FC3 distribution of XMMS, firestarter, apt, etc.
although i'm not sure if theres much of a difference software wise between 3 & 4? because didn't they just update things such as GNOME, KDE, gcc, etc? mm...i believe so.

however i dont really know ^_^ just my shot in the dark.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

i may install FC3 on a windows 95 laptop i am getting over the weekend, would you recomment FC4 instead?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out this page and make sure the laptop meets the system requirements:
http://bfn.org/~ch952/sysreqfed.html

you would probably have to do a text based information as i can't imagine a laptop running Win95 would have anything over 64 MB of ram and anything greater than a 200 or 300 MHz cpu.

also, check out this post: http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum40/1490.htm
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

i also have old computers, i have an old P2 600 mhz in my basement, if the system does not run it, would a laptop support the same socket as my P2?
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

What, but a P2 in a lappy? No. The P2 desktop and P2 mobiles use different interfaces. Desktop is cartridge type, and laptop is some sort of low-profile socket. I don't remember what type, it's been a while since I've had a P2 laptop on the bench.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

not that farmiliar w/ Laptops and pentium as much i as i am w/ AMD.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts