Apache does not respond

• iliya428
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have Centos 5.4 (apache 2.2.3) installed on my server. Everything works perfect, however sometimes apache does not work properly. When I write my domain to browser it tries to reach the site, however it can't get any result. (There is no "browser couldn't find" error). The browser just tries to get the content.

There is no server load (0.05, 0.02, 0.07), several httpd processes are running, no messages in error_log. All other services (named, sshd, and so on) work with no errors or lags.

When I do
telnet localhost 80
and try
GET /index.htm
it does not return any result, but I can type in (connection is open)

When I restart httpd everything goes back fine.

It may hang again within 10 minutes or 10 hours.

I have about 20 virtual hosts with a very low load, some of them contain php and perl scripts.

Please help
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to open your site, in the browser or telnet to it, use the internal IP address instead of the domain name or localhost.

Example: 192.168.1.100 or whatever it is.
  • iliya428
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please read my message carefully. I can open my site. But sometimes httpd hangs and do not reply in TCP/IP conversation, and there is no obvious reason for this.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understood what you said but I don't understand why people want to open their site through the internet, when it's hosted on their LAN. There is no reason for that either.

If you insist on doing that, add an entry to the hosts file.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I don't understand is why you would say he was attempting to get to the site over the Internet by using localhost; clearly that's 127.0.0.1 -- also non-routable via the internet and actually a good way to check the running daemon while eliminating all network oddities.

Iliya, Is this only running a webserver? Or do you have some backend processing, such as JSP's or some other application layer going on?

I ask, because if you have hung threads to the app server (or app instance) it would take up the connection pool for pure web connects.

You say you are running many virtual hosts; what is maxclients set at in the apache config? I would tweak some of those settings if perhaps your other virtual servers are taking traffic and chewing up your resource connection pool.

You won't see load per se, since the cpu or memory are not being taxed... you simply could be using up the allocated resources for the apache config.

Try that, see what happens.

--J

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts