Basic file system question, on gentoo live cd

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm using PPC Gentoo live CD and I was wondering where my applications: gaim, firefox and such were located in the file system. Normally (at least on Mac OS X) the applications are somewhere in the home folder, however that only contains desktop icons on gentoo. I also checked the /binaries and a few other locations, none of which had it. It's not really that important for me to find them, I'd just like to know where they are for my own personal knowledge. I've search around a bit and haven't been successful and I'm starting to wonder if maybe they are built into the kernal somehow (prob a dumb thought). Anyways if you could shed some light on it I'd greatly appriciate it.

there are also a few other things that are confusing me (I'm a linux noob, I only have a little experiance with unix like systems, but I'm trying to gain some more knowledge of it). anyways surprisingly gentoo supported my bluetooth keyboard, however for some reason it does not support my bluetooth mighty mouse. (I obviously can't install drivers since I'm using a live cd).

also, Is there any way for me to be able to right click. I know that I can edit /etc/sysctl.conf and set dev/mac_hid/mouse_button_emulation to "1", but editing conf files doesn't sit well with live cd's unless I'm missing something. Also -- understanably -- it doesn't support my airport extreame, so I had to use my ethernet cable, its kind of funny that it has to be pluged in while booting in order to register it and allow me to get online, is there anyway to load that driver once loged in?

Like I said, none of these problems are urgent. I don't even use linux much, I just want to see if I'm missing something and see if anyone could shed some light on any of that stuff so I might see something I'm missing and be more intrigued by linux, so that I might start using it more and maybe even get the courage to partition my hard drive and do a full install :D.

p.s. yes this is just a bunch of rambling :oops:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mars wrote:
p.s. yes this is just a bunch of rambling :oops:

hahah..nice.

Mars wrote:
Hi, I'm using PPC Gentoo live CD and I was wondering where my applications: gaim, firefox and such were located in the file system. Normally (at least on Mac OS X) the applications are somewhere in the home folder, however that only contains desktop icons on gentoo. I also checked the /binaries and a few other locations, none of which had it. It's not really that important for me to find them, I'd just like to know where they are for my own personal knowledge. I've search around a bit and haven't been successful and I'm starting to wonder if maybe they are built into the kernal somehow (prob a dumb thought). Anyways if you could shed some light on it I'd greatly appriciate it.

that last part made me laugh too.
check inside /usr/bin
also, if you have i believe findutils then you could do: locate file
and it would search for "file" and output all results. this being done on the command line (booting in CLI mode or in a terminal) of course.

why can't you install things on the livecd? enter emerge portage in a terminal and see what happens ;) lol
the mouse i'm unsure about as the only bluetooth device i have is my cell phone.
for the networking..after you plugin the cable, does /sbin/ifconfig output information for the device? i'm not sure which would be your wired and wireless eth, but try something like: /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up and see if that brings it up. otherwise you could try seeing what the gentoo handbook has to say.. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... art1_chap3
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
check inside /usr/bin

why can't you install things on the livecd? enter emerge portage in a terminal and see what happens ;) lol

Ahh now I see the apps, thanks :D

Oh... I figured you couldn't save data to your hard drive using a live cd. I thought that everything was wiped when you shut down.

I tried emerge portage and I got this: (well.. I was going to copy and paste, but it seems ctr-c doesn't copy in terminal, it acts as though I pressed enter... and I can't right-click copy because.... I can't right click... lol) anyways it basicly said I didin't have permision to do that. so I did sudo emerge portage and got a whole bunch of "Performing Global Updates" than at the end it said "Calculating dependecies" "emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy *portage*."

So can you save stuff on your hard drive when using a live cd? and if so where?... I thought it just made a ram file system.

Thanks for your help :D[/code]
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, you're correct in thinking that it does "wipe" everything when you reboot, but if you mount your partition as read/write then you have the ability to access and save files. i'm guessing you're on a mac..?
but you can still install things for the session you're in. i dont think its necessary to emerge portage because i'm guessing on a livecd its already there. what livecd are you using?
did you try using locate? you may have to run updatedb (with sudo) first.

might i suggest an alternative to gentoo? and inquire as to the reasoning you chose gentoo?
Fedora Core and Yellow Dog Linux: Two More Good Choices for Mac Hardware
Why I Ditched MacOSX for Linux - A Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 Review
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
yes, you're correct in thinking that it does "wipe" everything when you reboot, but if you mount your partition as read/write then you have the ability to access and save files.

I only have one partition on this hard drive. Idk if thats what you mean. but I don't want to make a new partition for a live cd. but if I don't have to, how do I mount it so I can read/write my hard drive?
AnarchY SI wrote:
i'm guessing you're on a mac..?
but you can still install things for the session you're in. i dont think its necessary to emerge portage because i'm guessing on a livecd its already there. what livecd are you using?
did you try using locate? you may have to run updatedb (with sudo) first.

might i suggest an alternative to gentoo? and inquire as to the reasoning you chose gentoo?
Fedora Core and Yellow Dog Linux: Two More Good Choices for Mac Hardware
Why I Ditched MacOSX for Linux - A Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 Review

Yes I am using a mac. I'm using the latest stable release of Power PC gentoo live CD (2006.1). (well now I'm back on OS X). The reason I picked Gentoo was because most of the other distros for PPC do not have live CD's (at least I could not find them) It took me a while to find Gentoo's live cd, since it's experimental right now and not on their home page. I do not think I will use gentoo when I do a full install.

I just purchased an external hard drive off ebay. The only problem is I don't know if PPC can boot from a USB drive, I think they can only boot via firewire drives (I may be competely wrong and I hope I am). are there any downsides to booting from an external drive, and is there anyway that I can partition it and use half of the external drive for OS X and the other half for linux?

and about the distro -- I'm pretty much a linux noob, I have never had a full install, I've only experimented with live cd's, and if I add up all the time I've done so, it wouldn't surpass 48 hours of experimenting. I do, however, have a little bit of knowledge with unix commands -- so I am open to advice about what distro would be good for me.

Also, on a completly different note. Should I get a firewire HDD instead of a USB or does it not make that much of a difference?

also if you have anyother linux advice for me I'd love to hear it :D thank you so much for your help
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

firewire does access faster than USB, even though USB is rated to be faster. but booting off either, i believe, would be pretty slow. its easy to partition a hard drive, and the distro i would suggest is ubuntu. or kubuntu. i know they have a ppc version AND its a livecd. once you boot up the livecd, theres an icon on the desktop that says something to the effect of "Install"... to partition the drive you can use gparted (if you go with ubuntu) or probably qtparted on kubuntu. i'm not 100% on that but there should be SOME software for partitioning purposes. lol
the difference in the *ubuntu family (ubuntu / kubuntu / xubuntu) is the desktop manager each uses. ubuntu uses GNOME, kubuntu KDE, and xubuntu XFCE (how original :]) and each has plenty of screenshots for you to examine. lol xfce is more of a lighter window manager, gnome and kde are going to use up more resources but they're all more eye candy-ish IMO, KDE being more so than GNOME. the installer is all GUI i believe and pretty easy..
look here for help mounting an apple partition in gentoo
any more questions, ask away :]
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, heres my problem with the partitioning thing. I have a 60g internal hard drive in my power book that has about 12g's free (on a really good day). And just got a 250g external USB hard drive. How should I partition those drives, I need at least 10 gigs for linux, and if I partitioned my internal than I'd only have 2g's left for Mac, which wouldn't be acceptable. So how would you advise me partitioning it? you said it was slow booting from an external drive, so is there anyway I could have a small boot file on my internal and the rest of the data I need for linux on my exteral? (thats prob a stupid question), anyways I'm a little confused about what would be right for partitioning it.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could create a boot partition on your internal, but i would probably just go with everything on the external. it would definitely make things easier when working with the bootloader. lol
if you did want to create a boot partition on your internal, you'd have to use a program such as parted/gparted/qtparted, norton partition magic, acronis disk director, etc. to resize the partition and then create a new one, type ext3 and make it 50-100MB (it doesn't need to be all that big, it'll only host the kernel, initrd image, and boot conf files). then you could create the root filesystem on a partition that you'd need to create on the external.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
you could create a boot partition on your internal, but i would probably just go with everything on the external. it would definitely make things easier when working with the bootloader. lol

So I should just do it all on the external... I mean I could move a whole bunch of stuff from my internal on to my external, and spit my internal up 30g 30g. But it really doesn't matter to me. I just want to do what would be the most efficent. I've never booted from an external drive so I don't know how slow it would be. How noticeable is it? I might even want to spit my external so I can have more space for mac, cause thats where I'll keep my music and such, for itunes. But I really don't know. I've never dealt with partitioning drives and I have no clue what would be the most efficent way to do it. What would you recommend? Like I said I basicly have 60 internal and 250 USB external, if they were both blank and I was using Mac OS X as my main OS, with a good bit of multimedia, and Linux as secondary (possibly more, if I start to like it), what would be the most effiecent way to do split up my drives? and would I take a big hit from loading from an external drive?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've never personally booted any OS from an external drive, the only experience i have with external devices would be accessing flash drives and booting from livecd's. but i could only imagine it would be marginally slower than booting from an internal hard drive as the bottleneck would be the speed of USB. i would probably use the external for storage and use 15G internal for linux, 35G internal for OSX. then maybe partition the external as.. 30G fat32 (as both linux and osx can read/write to fat32), 200G osx, 20G linux storage. now, that would be in a perfect world where 1GB = 1024MB but in the hardware industry, they're deceptive and 1GB = 1000MB so you effectively lose 24MB for each GB :(
but like i said, thats just me.. i'm not sure what you'll prefer and you probably wont either until you try it and see what fits you best. but you could possibly use my suggest as sort of a guideline..? :shrug: good luck.. lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts