Best Choice

• WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im new to linux and am gunna eventually make a complete switch but for now i need to learn linux. the problem is i cant seem to find a distro that goes well with my old p3 650 64megs ram. any suggestions and if so where can i download the distro at.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your planning to learn about Linux then the recommended distributions are usually Slackware, Debian, and Gentoo. [This doesn't mean there aren't others though] and these typically run well on machines with low memory. However thats learning the more technical aspects of Linux.

If you just want to be introduced to Linux, there are a lot of different choices, but with older hardware it's a bit harder. I recently tried Vector Linux which claims to be able to run well on older hardware, I installed it on a friends computer. It was running Win98 and the really scary thing was it was using an old AT Keyboard.

It seemed pretty fast though, I havn't given many other distributions a try that would work well on old computers. I've used SuSe quite a bit and it worked pretty well on some old IBM's. Don't remember the exact specs though.

I would just suggest you try out a few popular distributions like SuSe, Fedora Core, Mandrake Linux (seems to be quite user friendly from all the posts here) they all should run relatively well on your machine, if not just go for something that's more technical.

Good luck.

[Note. The distributions I named are just examples and one's I've had experience with. They might not be your best choice.]
  • WoRd Of WiSdOm
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Riverside,California

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have experamented with mandrake before. the problem is that is was mandrake 9.2 i believe do you or anyone know of any place where i can find older versions of mandrake.
  • cyber_craft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i did a little looking and i found a place where you could download Mandrake 8.2

I hope you dont have dial-up....:lol:

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

Good Luck

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts