Best Linux!.....server.

• ManicalIdiot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ManicalIdiot
  • Loc: Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

So guys, which version of Linux do you think makes the best server. O.o *runs as the passion starts to boil*
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends. What type of server (main role of the system)? What do you want out of it? Most secure? Easiest to maintain? Raw performance? All these factors play a role in what distrobution of Linux/BSD/*NIX you choose.
  • ManicalIdiot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ManicalIdiot

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasn't asking for help, I just wanted opinions.
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right, and I was just stating that the best one depends on what you want to do with it. That's my opinion. So, there. :lol:
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

One must wonder at the reason for such an open-ended and inane question.
There are, as was stated, many factors which one must take into consideration, not the least of which when entertaining such a query is personal opinion.
I am not talking of the kind based in any sort of technical reality, but instead that based upon false concepts, conveyed via acerbic diatribe often aimed at the so-called competition, to the point of nearly becoming a pseudo-religion.

Quite simply, people will often answer questions like yours from the heart instead of the head, which I find obnoxious.

You want to know what the best is? Choose a server-based application you intend to manage, then do some due diligence. When all is said and done, ask the precise questions and precise answers are what you will find.

Attempting to start an OS jihad will result in nothing but getting the topic locked, though I will commend the general populous for not falling victim to such a ploy.

Cheers.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows XP Professional.

LMFAO

..wow..
  • javierccs
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Caracas, Venezuela

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope, windows 2003 server...... far away
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

as long as its far enough away to get hacked without having it affect me ;)
  • xtc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • xtc
  • Loc: London UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really depends on what your trying to do. Personally I would recommend that you use Slackware. There is a good reason for that. If you learn slackware you will learn linux not a specific distribution like Redhat. The install has improved since the old disk based install and its easily kept up dated with swaret or the other package tools. There are no licenses and its a KISS based Distribution. Other alternatives include debian and Redhat Fedora.

Regards,

X

http://www.lucidnow.com/
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, if you learn Slackware you're learning more UNIX than Linux. And yeas, there is a difference. Debian would keep you closer to core Linux, but if that's your goal than you should create a custom distro anyway. Each distro is different, employing customized software versions, special kernels, specific scripts, etc. Generally the one you begin with and learn inside and out is the one you stick with.
  • Seanmcseanerson
  • Born
  • Born
  • Seanmcseanerson
  • Loc: chillicothe, oh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I've been out of things for a little while but was wondering about something.

I would like to know which distro would make a good server os if I was wanting to run just web hosting, no e-mail or ftp, but good support for php and some high end graphics.
  • ManicalIdiot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ManicalIdiot

Post 3+ Months Ago

*looks at watch* mmmm create a custom distro? I'm sorry management says that the amount of time required to create my own operating system far exceeds the limit set by my ADD.
  • summerwu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • summerwu

Post 3+ Months Ago

CENTOS>>HAHA
  • Predius

Post 3+ Months Ago

CentOS or Debian.

For sure.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

<sigh> I withdraw my previous comment; obviously I do not know *everyone* around here.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

*nods*
  • franks21
  • Born
  • Born
  • franks21

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey
well lets say i want a relatively secure and easy to maintain server which will allow me web, ftp, email, and ability to manage multiple computers inside my network. thanks

frank
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've just described a wide range of Linux distros. Head over to linuxiso.org and poke around. Download a couple and try them out. If you don't like it, try another.
  • Ballsitic509
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ballsitic509

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i wanna run a FTP, MAIL, HTTP, MySQL server..which linux is the best (free version) for me
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any one at all; try them, and pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

Seriously, this sort of question will only breed the opinionated answer founded in very little actual fact.
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah thats really true.. There is no "best" linux, If there was then there would be no "other" linux distros.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

pretty much, because all of the distro's have such capabilities.

what i would worry about more is the distro feels and how easily it allows you to do exactly what you want to do. there's no point in making something harder than it has to be :)
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i said it a few times already.

Have you tryed gentoo? if you want a peak performance go for gentoo.

The "they all do that" sentence doenst makes sense if you take gentoo in acount. Why? because it runs faaster due to code compilation optimisation when installing stuff.

I use debian (ubuntu) because its easy for a non experienced guy.
I tryed gentoo but it was a damn big problem whenever i have to fix a problem. To advanced for me :(
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

pedrotuga wrote:
The "they all do that" sentence doenst makes sense if you take gentoo in acount. Why? because it runs faaster due to code compilation optimisation when installing stuff.

what doesn't make sense about it? gentoo does have the capability of running all those different servers, so they do "all do that". and is the sentence after you said "Why?" you're reasoning for why my statement doesn't make sense? because thats not a reason why or why not "they all do that". one may do it more efficiently than the other, but one may take 20 minutes to install compared to 3 hours for gentoo, and thats not even at a desktop yet :)
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

pedrotuga wrote:

The fastest Linux box I ever had was Debian. All that "code optimization stuff" can be done on any Linux system if you compile your source packages and set your compiler flags. Further, if you happen to be on a machine close to the baseline for the binary packages, you're only talking about optimizations worth milliseconds. Of course, in doing this you'll be waiting (at least) 3 hours for this to get done as well - ever compile KDE?

The best server distribution for me is shirt pocket linux (toms rbt - or something like that now) because it has absolutely nothing I don't need and I can build it up from scratch. When a client asks me which distribution to install, I usually say CentOS simply because it's rather user-friendly without sacrificing a whole lot.

I wouldn't normally post on a topic like this, but something had to be said about that Gentoo comment.

THIS

export PS1="\e[30;40m"
  • frezasaga
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frezasaga

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a frend hu use fedora core3 for server.........he said easy to manage.........

this what my frend said..........i am start learning linux.....
  • MrBlack
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrBlack

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all,
im new here and im kind of new on linux too.
i wanna start a server too.
what i have:
an old pc with cpu 500 mhz, 128 ram, hdd 650MB or 8gb
what i want:
to make a linux server (is my first) for networking management, if is possible to be web server too is better.
must be free
what i ask here:
what distro is good for this, i wanna start the server but i wanna learn linux too,
im interested in a distro wich is most common, becouse i wanna learn linux not only a distro
what linux should i learn to be skilled for most of distros?
post an advice for me, i dont need an easy distro cose i have plenty of time to spend learning.
tnx in advance and sry for posting here, but is a good place for my questions and there is no point to start another topic.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.ubuntu.com/server

Ubuntu server has something called "automatic lamp" - installs LAMP automatically (obv...), and doesn't install a GUI. Perfect, IMHO, and I intend to do this in the new year, when I get a new machine to run as my desktop. As it is I'm running Ubuntu desktop with all the server stuff tacked on - which is ok, not ideal though.

Of course, as mentioned in the rest of this thread, there are pro's and con's to all distros, and most of the time you'll get groundless opinion.

Basically, any mainstream distro will allow you to do what you want, the biggest issue, I think, is whether or not to install a GUI. If you're learning, maybe this will be helpful, but understand: Gnome/KDE is not Linux!
  • MrBlack
  • Born
  • Born
  • MrBlack

Post 3+ Months Ago

tnx ill give it a try
i used ubuntu, interface is good but iv tryied to work mostly from terminal to get fammiliar with commands.
what do u think about hardware that i have, its enough for ubuntu server?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

MrBlack wrote:
im interested in a distro wich is most common, becouse i wanna learn linux not only a distro

based on THAT statement i'd probably say slackware. debian would be a good choice too, they dont let you take the easy route and give you something to point and click unless you install it ;) which has a double positive because it saves on your system resources. which, if its JUST a server IMHO it shouldn't have a gui..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 40 posts