Best Linux version

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm considering tempting fate with my recent slackware success and giving gentoo a shot on my laptop, just for kicks and giggles. Tried once before but was unsuccessful, maybe this time around will work better.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

good luck :-X
the furthest i've gotten with a gentoo installation was the base install >.< getting networking up & running was a task and i tried to get a desktop installed but god knows what i did wrong.
shrug.

no reason not to try though?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't think of any reasons, so I might as well do it. I was fudging something up during the install, I was doing the install from the live cd. I got to the point where I was choosing my shell and all that stuff, but at some point during the install it errored. I figured I had a bad cd, so I redownloaded and reburned and started over but it did it again.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm gotcha. thats no good.
did you print out the handbook or how were you referencing it?
if such a problem occurred you could post here for help as well ;]
i've gone through the actual install probably 8 times..
  • htmoore9564
  • Born
  • Born
  • htmoore9564

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been out of the Linux business for 5 to 6 years. Been busy with marriage, kids, job, etc. Anyway, I finally got an extra PC that I can play around with. I can say that a lot has changed in the Linux world! I have tried Ubuntu and Mandriva but neither have support for my ATI TV Tuner card. Does anybody know of a Linux version that has ATI TV Tuner drivers?
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

if they dont, no one does. ati has proprietary drivers, meaning they're not developed by the open source world - they're developed by ati. so if they feel like making drivers for your card, hoory.
on the other hand, there is an open source ati video driver so we haven't left providing us with drivers COMPLETELY up to the manufacturer. so, a few questions: did you check ati's website?
whats the make/model of the card?
  • htmoore9564
  • Born
  • Born
  • htmoore9564

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
if they dont, no one does. ati has proprietary drivers, meaning they're not developed by the open source world - they're developed by ati. so if they feel like making drivers for your card, hoory.
on the other hand, there is an open source ati video driver so we haven't left providing us with drivers COMPLETELY up to the manufacturer. so, a few questions: did you check ati's website?
whats the make/model of the card?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah your right! I have sice tried Fedora 9 and still no luck! I have checked ATI's website and they don't have a linux driver for it. My card is a ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 37 posts