Best Linux version

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

In your opinions, what is the best Linux version out there? Redhat, Suse, .....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate the fedora project. It's supported or promoted or whatever by redhat, so the two are damn near identical with only slight variations.

Slackware is neato too, but it's not for the meak or the timid. It's fine once you get it going, and it is easier to install nowadays than it was a year or two ago so it is up and coming.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Fedora. Been using it since Fedora Core 2.
  • frezasaga
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frezasaga

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use fedora dual boot with backtrack
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should add that the reason I like Fedora is because of its every-six-months release schedule, and with this they try to include all the latest and greatest stuff, so you always get to play around with new toys :D
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everyone here is overwhelmingly saying fedora. Thats interesting because I would have thought there would have at least an ubuntu or two (say that 10 times fast).
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller
  • Loc: above the chair

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer more on debian, because, it doesn't have new driver on my thinkpad x61, so, I use ubuntu, waiting for the lenny release :)
yes, there is other guide for the driver but I don't have much time for now..
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

viewtopic.php?t=58663 ;P

anyways.. currently i prefer ubuntu actually. fedora is always a good choice, but the fact that there are no fglrx video drivers for f9 (at least there weren't last time i checked) kills it for me as i want to play my winblows games in linux and i can't do that w/o video drivers >.< i like suse as well, but it upsets me that my wifi card isn't supported by the default install as it is with ubuntu and fedora (wmp54g, probably the most common card out there >.<). after monkeying around trying to get the card working with oS11 i gave up and rebooted to ubuntu as it had both my working wifi card and fglrx drivers.
backtrack is sexy as well >.< never had any luck installing it, but its never treated me wrong running as a livecd (haven't tried installing bt3).
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

AnarchY SI wrote:
kills it for me as i want to play my winblows games in linux and i can't do that w/o video drivers >.<

lol, That's what I have a Windows machine for ;)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

shrug. i have windows / ubuntu / fedora / oS11 all installed atm, but i still dont like having to reboot >.< its nice to have one os / pc that does everything. :P
  • gamekiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gamekiller
  • Loc: above the chair

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is the hardest linux ever used? I mean not from installation, such as configuring an application. Hmmm. How should I say, for example, which one is hardest? debian or slackware?

I want to be an expert or advance in linux, so which distribution should I choose?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Kernal :)

I use Ubuntu and Fedora Core for desktop use. There's a nifty project out Ubuntu Studio, I might try that.
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

gamekiller wrote:
which one is hardest? debian or slackware?

I want to be an expert or advance in linux, so which distribution should I choose?

Out of deb and slack, I'd say slackware, but it is getting more user friendly. Gentoo is another one that can tickle your cerebral cortex (your brain) if you are looking for a challenge. Or, you could always take SpooF's idea and be a rock star and build your own from scratch. Get your kernel, optimize it for your system, set up the file system of your choice, make your own kick ass graphical interface. Thats where you start learning a lot.

Or if you've got spare time you could do it Torvalds-style and start with an empty text file and totally code your own operating system. ;) But prepare to lose all your hair if you do that.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

linus has hair (O_o)
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haven't you ever thought it kind of looks fake though? It's just so big and swoopy and it never changes.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe he just has an amazing stylist.. ;]

he IS the creator of something amazing >.<
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

True, he is doing alright financially. I watched a documentary on the history of linux on google videos once and they were showing him zipping up and down the freeway in a convertible porsche, so if you can afford that car you ought to be able to get a decent hair cut.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty much standardized on Fedora since I've been using it regularly since RHL 6 (the name may have changed, but it's still the same animal). Luckily, I don't have an ATI video card and the Nvidia drivers do work fine.

The only other two distros I use regularly (that some client didn't install) are Gentoo and Shirt Pocket Linux (look for Tomsrbt, I think that changed it's name too). I find that with these 3 distros, I can address practically every computing situation out there (unless Windows is required).

I absolutely abhor Ubuntu. I think it's all great and wonderful that they've brought so many people away from Windows and created a distro that's very user friendly, but the people who learn "Linux" on Ubuntu are going to have real problems if/when they get on a corporate Linux network and can't figure out what's going on because of Ubuntu purposely breaking standards for no good reason (meaning configuring things on Ubuntu is not like configuring things on any other Linux distro). To be honest, I never really liked Debian either, but that's more about packages. Why should I have to create a whole directory structure instead of editing just one file?
  • nirajkumar123
  • Born
  • Born
  • nirajkumar123
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think Linux SUSE FLAVOUR is really good
  • xlgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xlgfx
  • Loc: saint joseph, missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

out of all the distros ive used ive learned to love ubuntu, i guess because its made me lazy, so much easier to use. suse is alright, but doesnt have very good support for my hardware, pclinuxos was decent, but i prefer gnome. fedora rocks, but since i use an Nvidia card, im not able to use it. well, i think theres a fix for that, but as i said, ubuntu made me lazy ;)
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

xlgfx wrote:
..pclinuxos was decent, but i prefer gnome.

i've heard plenty of bad things about the developers of PCLOS so i've never gone through the trouble of trying it out. and the bad things i heard were from former developers who had moved on to their own project so i figured it was reputable enough to believe.

and fedora does rock >.< if my psu wasn't dead atm in my main machine i'd be more up to date on whether or not ATi drivers had been released so i could play games through wine :-X
at least i can get online & play mahjongg & same gnome with this 933MHz P3 >.<
  • dashchetanya
  • dashchetanya

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi anarchy this is chetanya and i new to linux i want it to download on my system please suggest which version could i get freely on net
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can actually download almost every distribution of linux for free on the internet. some good choices to test out & see what you like are Fedora and Ubuntu. they both have livecd's, as do many distributions now available, where you can burn the OS to a cd and boot to the cd from a computer to use the OS without having to install it. there is usually an installer once you're in the OS to use to install the distro.
  • dashchetanya
  • dashchetanya

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,Anarchy actually i have never been worked on fedora i dont know any thing about fedora so tell me how i have to proceed actually i know it s available on red hat but the thing is that is it okay to start linux from fedora i mean first i have just go through the previous version of linux then fedora u better know so teel me and more thing i want to ask u that i had read in ur earlier post u suggested some one to have pcbsd version of unix from pcbsd.org i have just downloaded that so i want to try all the three with same system window+unix+linux is that possible please help me out
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

which previous version of linux are you talking about? and what exactly do you mean by if it's ok to start from linux? if you download fedora from the link i provided, you can boot to the installation cd. once booted, you can either repartition your hard drive (if you haven't already partitioned it), or go with your current partitioning scheme and have it use the partition you created for it. the rest of the installation process is just like installing any other OS. you can have windows, pcbsd, and fedora on the same box. i've done it actually. but you're going to want to install pcbsd last. so you'll need to make sure you setup all your partitions prior to installing pcbsd, leave the partition you're going to use for pcbsd unformatted (so it'd be partitioned, but it wouldn't have a filesystem).
do you have windows currently installed?
do you know how to partition a hard drive?
partitioning is VERY important and you should not proceed with installing anything without doing so as if you try to let the installer just go without knowing what you're doing partitioning-wise, you could very well lose all of your data including windows.
  • dashchetanya
  • dashchetanya

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks ,i ill tried then tell ui had window installed on system and that has two partion for linux and unix with 20 gb for h , i know how to partioned the hard drive , is that suse linux well for starting or fedora can i buy from the market as well
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would not buy a copy of linux if you are new to using linux. If you don't like it, then that is wasted money you spent. Normally, the linux distributions that you have to pay for come with service and support contracts and in some cases they can get fairly expensive. In fact, that is what you are actually paying for, is the support and not the actual software. It would be best to pick a few different linux flavors and experiment with each one, then choose which is your favorite.

My preference is fedora, but I also like using slackware because it is a little more challenging.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can purchase disks from certain websites, but i dont think itd be likely you'd find any being sold locally. on the net, they probably range from $2 - $10, depending on how many disks the distro is. but as kc0tma said, its probably a better idea to just download whatever you're trying out.
suse is pretty user friendly, it'd be an ok choice to start out with. fedora is equally as capable, intuitive, and a better choice in my opinion.
so if you have a partition for windows and 2 partitions for *nix, did you create a swap partition for *nix? windows uses a file in the OS, *nix uses its own partition >.< it could be argued that you CAN create a swap partition for windows, but thats uncommon. either way, you should have one.
  • rikimaru
  • rikimaru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well deshchaitanya actually saved me from asking the question . I had the same question , thanks for the answers . Going to download Fedora now , though my friend swears to Ububtu .
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

nkimaru wrote:
, though my friend swears to Ububtu .

what made you decide on fedora?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland