Between Linux And Windows......

• johnson8169z
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • johnson8169z
  • Loc: *TOP SECRET* (Not So)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone!! May I Ask You Some Questions? Can Any of you tell me, in your opinion, which is the best Linux Distribution? Thank You, Johnson.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

• LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D @ UNFLUX
  • agent009
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Singapore/(Sometimes) Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also wanna know
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heheh... it's not just a matter of what distro is better than others... each distro has different features that would make some people prefer it to others. Seeing as you're asking this question, you'd probably be interested in something like Debian or Redhat. Those distros don't require much knowledge of what linux is, and will allow you to 'get your feet wet' with a new operating system without knowing much about the low-level details. For more advanced users that want more control over how stuff is compiled/run, I would recommend gentoo. It has features that make it "easy to maintain", while still giving the low-level "compile from source" control that advanced users like.
  • mystery_cat
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Singapore, Asia

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually if your just planning on getting your feet wet your probably better off with a more user-friendly distro like SuSe, Mandriva, or Fedora Core.

All three of those are quite popular.

You probably shouldn't install Debian right now because it's actually not that easy to use if you don't have the experience. Although I hear they have done quite a lot of work on making it more user-friendly.

The 'free' version of Red Hat is long out of date. The reason being that the free version has become Fedora Core.

However there are a LOT of other distributions that I haven't named, and you should seriously do some research before choosing a distribution. For more experienced users a distribution doesn't really matter as the system is sorta of similarly organized. However for new users, different distributions often feel like entirely different operating systems.

Good luck with your search.
  • teddmcload
  • Born
  • Born
  • teddmcload

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think you can try many of them. i believe that you will like one or more than one of them. when you decide the distro you will solve your problem. one of my friends used SuSE many years. but ye installed Slackware and i started to use Slackware. now ? he do not want to use suse. install. use. see. and decide which distro is for you. maybe you may like debian. who knows?
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I said "redhat", I did mean fedora core. I still consider it part of redhat :) I guess technically it's a separate project now, but there's still a lot of inter-relatedness =)
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
When I said "redhat", I did mean fedora core. I still consider it part of redhat Smile I guess technically it's a separate project now, but there's still a lot of inter-relatedness =)

Haha I gathered as much, a lot of people still refer to it as simply Red Hat. However it gets confusing for new users if you call it Red Hat and they end up looking at the Enterprise Red Hat that costs money.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

another possibility you may want to consider would be Xandros as its quite similar to windows and quite noob friendly. however, my suggestion would be to try them all - fedora core (fc4 is supposed to be released as of june 8th, so maybe try a few others first? otherwise you'll isntall fc3 and be updating your pc for an hour), suse, mandriva, xandros.. maybe even debian, although while i was still somewhat noobish, i could install it command style but no gui :( i gave up.. and then decide which suits your needs best and which you feel most comfortable in. but give them a try for like, a week.. not just an hour of looking around and then "i dont like this. how do i....."

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts