boot loader

• Talos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I run windowx xp and suse linux on my laptop I have to install Windows server 2000 and I have a feeling when I do this Im going to lose my boot loader, is there a way to get it back or a way to install it and keep it booting either operating system? I do not want to lose linux but i know I had to install it after I had xp already installed.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm... well, i have done that once before and couldnt really figure out how to fix it, but if you just create a boot disk thats compatible with the distro you can just boot from the floppy to the partition that your linux installation is on, by default just hit enter at the GRUB prompt and it will load the first linux partition on the partition table.... hope it helps man :wink:
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

which version of Suse do you have? In 9.1, what you can do is use cd 1 to restart another installation, but this time just go to repair an existing installation. You can reinstall the bootloader this way with your new settings.
  • Talos
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Colorado Springs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually got it to work without doing much at all. I just copied the NTDETECT and NTLDR and when the install was done pasted them back into the c drive and it worked fine it will go to the grub and ask for linux or windows when I hit windows it will ask server or xp, so thanks for the help
  • Rico16135
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Rico16135
  • Loc: Arlington, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

np
  • hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

update your boot loader. while updating your boot loader update your kernal also... coz if you didnt do updating your kernal it will show an error 'kernal not found'. if you use lilo then no need of doing all these things. you just have to boot in to linux using boot cd and type lilo in your terminal window.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts