boot loader

• sidharth
  • Student
  • Student
  • sidharth
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

hiii .
friends, i have windowsxp professinal and linux fedora core 3 runnig on my pc...
A week ago i had installed th linux it was working fine till 3 or 4 days but after that whnever i start my pc i no longer have any option of choosing which operating system i want to run... windows get booted by default .....

I think it will be a problem of bootloader i had tried a lot to install grub from th fedora disk 1.....
but i remain ubnable to get it installed...
help me so that i can install bootloader again........
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

there should be a way to install the boot loader by booting off the fedora installation disc. not too familiar with fedora to tell you exactly how but if all else fails you could just reinstall fedora and therfore given the ability to re-install the bootloader. but you should wait for someone else to post before doing that cause im sure anarchy or someone will know how to reinstall it from the fedora cd without reinstalling the whole OS.
  • ITmaster21
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ITmaster21
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a similar setup on my one laptop and ran into this problem before. If I recall I had to reinstall the linux OS....but thats back before I really understood the grub boot loader and how it operates. Also, Do you have a copy of knoppix linux? Knoppix will boot from the CD and should give you access to your existing linux partition on the hard drive. That way you could take a look at your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

ITmaster21 wrote:
Also, Do you have a copy of knoppix linux? Knoppix will boot from the CD and should give you access to your existing linux partition on the hard drive.

there's a lot of distro's with live CD's and this capability. :]

it sounds like windows wrote over your bootloader. or somehow it got overwritten. anyways

insert your FC3 install disk 1. at the prompt where you would hit enter to install, type: linux rescue[Enter] it will go through initialization scripts and then want you to choose your country and keyboard map (which will be selected by default so you'll probably just have to hit enter). it will then ask if you want to start the network interfaces on your computer, which aren't necessary so thats your choice but theres no point in doing it. it'll continue with initialization and then tell you your fedora install is mount at something like /mnt/sysimage and you can chroot it which is what you want to do. so the next thing you enter is: chroot /mnt/sysimage (or whatever it tells you, but i think thats it). then enter: grub-install /dev/hda
that should install grub to your hard drive (assuming you only have 1 hard drive OR that you want it to install it to your master hard drive). once this is done you can type exit, i believe and then it will reboot your computer and you can remove the cd from the drive and the bootloader will have returned.
  • holy007lotus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • holy007lotus
  • Loc: Jalandhar, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

evn i have used it... surely works well .... try it
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

holy007lotus wrote:
evn i have used it... surely works well .... try it

i don't see how that helps...at all. lol or even makes sense.
what exactly is it that you've used and works well?
i've used a lot of things that work well...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts