CDs not playing/Booting from CD problem

• apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

EDIT: It seems that no CDs will play at all. I guess this is why setting the priority to boot from CD still doesnt work. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hey guys. I am running Ubuntu 8.10 right now. I have decided that my adventures in linux are done for now and I want to switch back to windows on my laptop. I have a copy of windows 7 OEM. I just need to boot from the cd now. But for some reason I cant figure it out. I press ESC and it takes me to some options screen that only contains a few versions of ubuntu to boot like the regular and recovery mode versions. I cant find anything about booting from a CD at all. Any help is appreciated. And being as clear as possible and not skipping any steps will also help. I am quite a linux noob :wink:
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

This isn't really a linux problem that you are having, rather it is "boot order" of your laptop. Almost as soon as you turn on the laptop (and before you get to the screen where you have been pressing ESC), there is probably something that tells you to press a certain key to enter boot options. Try hitting that button then select which ever option will boot it to cd.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ill give it a few more shoots, but I specifically remember the options looking different when the computer ran windows xp a while ago and having no problems booting from a CD. Ill edit this post to let you know.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I have found the boot order and all that jazz. I set it to boot from cd first but it still doesnt. I only see the option to boot from notebook harddrive. And I have booting from CD enabled. Thoughts?
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think this might be a potential reason I am having problems....

It seems that when I insert any CD it simply wont play. How do I fix that?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

It simply won't play..... If you stick a windows cd into a linux computer and try to run any of the programs they won't work, but you should be able to "see" the files and stuff. I think at this point, you should hire your friendly neighborhood nerd. Figuring out BIOS and boot order and stuff is different from computer to computer so it is difficult to walk someone through it unless you are physically there.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I mean any cd wont play. It says that its mounted in read only. I ran fsck on start up and it apparently fixed the errors that were contained in /dev/sda1/. The terminal says that the cd drive is mounted. Just no files are appearing where they should when a cd is inserted. Any ideas?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts