Can't install FreeBSD from a Boot CD. Stops at boot screen.

• a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd be grateful if someone tells me what the hell is the problem with my Boot CD.
The case is that I have written a FreeBSD ISO image on a CD and booting my computer from it. It begins very well and I don't think the ISO is corrupted because I received it from a trusted source. Now the problem is that in the middle of booting and lines of text scrolling on the screen it suddenly and abruptly stops. There is no error message or something and it looks like something is happening in the background. But even when I left the computer in that state for about 45 minutes it still remained frozen on that point.

I have a Celeron D processor with Phoenix-Award BIOS and 632 M of memory. My computer passes all the requirements of it and yet it does not work.
:? I am really confused because I have rewrote the image on disks and tried to do it many times.

I also wrote the image on a 8GB pen drive using Universal installer and tried booting from there but it stopped at the very beginning showing some text and this below..
Code: [ Select ]
boot:

But the pen drive is another matter.... :iconsilent:

Please at least guide me someone for CD booting for UNIX. I love UNIX :flame:

Take care!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Reset the BIOS to it's defaults. With the pen drive, just hit enter when you get to that boot prompt.

If you plan to have a dual boot on that machine make sure that you partition the drive first. Otherwise, windows will be gone.
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have hit ENTER at the boot prompt. But it's not happening that way. It's asking for a kernel file that I don't have any idea. (Is it vmlinuz like linux?).Then I have left the USB option... anyway..

I have booted from the CD and successfully began the installation. It didn't work with default. I used the second option with "ACPI disabled" and it installed successfully! :D

Anyway many many thanks for your reply!!
I'll use your suggestion for pen drive for sure.

Thanks and regards. Take care..
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try /etc/rc.d/kernel

It's not like linux.
  • a4asit
  • Kalkin
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi don2007! :)

first of all thanks for your suggestion because it worked! I only needed to point GRUB towards the right kernel (i peeked into the directories in the cd and found the file..).

thanks a lot again!
bye.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad to hear it worked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts