i can't install the lorma linux

• reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

helo.. i'm completely new in linux..:) i've downloaded the lorma linux and i want to install it..
but theres the problem.. when it asks me to type the destination where is the CD image (iso9660) for red hat i typed the destination where i downloaded it (which is C:/linux/lorma) but it says that theres no sutch file... it wants also something from /dev/hda1 , but i don't have suth destination.. what should i do?? i'm completely confused... i'm green with it so could someone tell me exacly what it is all about?
thanx..:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

is lorma a good linux for me when i'm starting? or knoppix would be better?? some sugestions? and sorry for mistakes..i'm just learning english..:/
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

i forgot to add that i've created a floppy disc and from it i'm tryingo to install the lorma..:)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I beleive it is asking you for the directory/ or where the cd is. Such as D: if it is a cd or C:folder/whereitis

What I would do is write the image to a cd (alcohol 120% is good for this) if you havent already. Put the cd in and reboot. It should boot from the cd...If not you may have to go into BIOS and select something like boot from IDE drive or something.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, it is important to note linux does not run off the x: file system, rather pure directory's such as /home, /usr. /dev. etc.
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok.. taht's explains sth..:) so could You tell me... if I want to install the lorma from http://linux.lorma.edu/download.php where it is in .rar archiwe then should I unpack it and write on CD?? and firstly make an boot floopy..:) is that correct? :wink:
:roll:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I looked at that link and it will be an ISO file after you extract it. Now you will need software to burn an ISO image, as said before alcohol 120% does a good job, and you can download a free trial.

So you know, reboot after you put your burned cd in, and boot from the drive....

The installation should give you an option to make a boot floppy after everything has installed....also it will probably install a boot loader for you so you will not need a floppy, unless there is a problem (of course it is a good idea to go ahead and create 2 or 3 boot floppies.
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

there's something wrong with that :( :( I've downloaded this...burned on CD... i put floppy disk to boot..it goes..and I when it want's me to give destenation of redhat i give the CD and it displays that there's no CD with redhat in drive...:( :( please...help..:( :( :( I'm despered..:/ sorry if it is boring or sth like that.. but I really want to have a linux:/
thx:)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, it sounds like you actually havent installed it yet, if I am hearing you correctly. If you haven't installed it yet, you cannot boot into linux if it is not on your harddrive. The cd you burned is just an installation cd, and that boot disk is looking for the actual os on your hard drive.

Maybe I wasn't as clear the first time for you, my appologies. Now, try this......put the burned cd in your cd drive. Restart you computer. Your computer should be configured so that it will give you a prompt to begin installing linux onto your hard drive

***important: If you haven't created a partition for the installation you will wipe out whatever is on your hard drive if you install linux.

So first, try the cd and see if it starts asking you some installation questions, good it is working. From there unlesss you already have a partition for the installation or another hard drive for the installation, don't install it unless you want to wipe out whatever is on your harddrive; including windows.

Let us know at that point if you need help in creating a partition.

Try that, and let us know if it works to this point.
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've made a floppy disk with rawrite(downloaded from that side), set up in BIOS to boot from floppy, then from CD and after that from HDD...When I downloaded the lorma(USA LormaLinux v4.1) i've unpack it and without modyfing i've burned it on CD...that on CD are folders like RedHat,base,images(don't know..should I burn on CD only files..without any folders?:/)...
And when i want to start installation from CD(boot installation from CD) it describes that theres no CD to boot with...
So I want to boot from floppy...
it boots...:) that's OK but...
I have to pick language of installation..OK..english...
Type of keyboard...pl....all good...
and now is a problem...
i have a question.."What type of media contains the packages to be installed?"
and I have to pick up from:
"local CDROM
Hard Drive
NFS image
FTP
HTTP"
so i pick local CDROM...and have an error..The Red Hat Linux CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives..Please insert the red hat linux CD and press OK for retry"
and there is my problem...
and I really want to thx You for helping me..:)it's really nice to have support:) I own You a BEER:) :)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I will tell you what I will do, I am going to download lorma from the site that you listed there....it is the link that has 50 something r files right?

from there I will see if it is working on my end

//btw, did you enter you name and email and click download? you should have downloaded just one iso file....
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

deam..:)I'm impressd:) thx a lot:) really:) yes, i've typed my name and email and clicked download:) I received rar archiwum..and I've unpacked it...and everything what was unpacked I've burned on CD...exacly in the same way it was unpacked...:)
thx..I REALLY own Ya one:)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is weird because I downloaded after i put my name and email and it gave me an iso image. I am going to burn it here in a minute

//the name of what I downloaded is 'LormaLinux4pt1.iso' This is probably what you should download as well, cause I am not exactly sure what it is that you downloaded

////again this is the link where i downloaded from http://linux.lorma.edu/download.php
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I have burned the disc in alcohol 120%, and I have installed it without a hitch.

This may be your problem, sorry If i didn't say it sooner...you need to boot from the cd dirve alone. Forget about any floppies or whatever, this is not necessary to install lorma. Just boot straight from the cd drive.

ok then you will get a screen with a buff looking peguin, and under that there will be a command prompt that looks like this

Code: [ Select ]
Boot:

from there you just hit enter, and it will begin asking you installation questions

I hope this helps, if it doesn't I would recommend you redownload the LormaLinux4pt1.iso. That is what I used and you shouldn't have any problems with that

good luck, and I hope that helped!

now I am going to play with lorma, looks like a real good distrubution for a beginner (me included)
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

can have a stupid question to You? because that what You downloaded is in rar archiwe...so I suppose to unpack it and all of that what I unpacked without any changes I have to burn on CD? :?: :?
yes? :/ uch... Ithink that i will download it again..:)
thx very much:) I'll tell how it goes with me..:) thx again..:) i will fight with that:) :)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well what I downloaded was just an iso....but as long as you get an iso out of it all you should be fine
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok..i was stupid..:) i admit... i didn't cath that winrar can open an ISO..:/ so yes..it is an ISO file... so I know:) but I still can't boot the instalation from CD..:( :( buuu..:(
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

that is nuts, I have no clue, hopefully someone will have an answer for you, sorry i couldn't helpo more
  • reaz
  • reaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks men..:) really:) I've learned with Ya sth:) If You be in neiberhood tell me:) I will buy You one...or two..:) 8)
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, sorry man.....You might want to try some other forums

http://www.linuxforum.com

http://www.linuxquestions.org
  • Khevin23
  • Born
  • Born
  • Khevin23

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just wondering... did you burn the ISO image as burn iso image to cd (that after burning your cd will contained the unpacked ISO) or you actually burned the ISO to the cd (your cd containes the ISO image file)?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts