Can't log into desktop after fresh RedHat 9 install

• Tooth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Tooth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed RedHat 9 on my home machine (I know, I should download the latest version of RedHat, but RH9 is currently the only thing I got the CDs for :) ). The install went well: my ATI All-In-Wonder and monitor were all correctly detected, I left all settings for those at default, and the Gnome login screen came up. I enter my username/password, and the following happens:

- the screen changes to the console login
- stays there for a few seconds
- the screen starts to flash black with a color strip at the top
- a few more screen flashes
- then I'm back at the login screen.

Doing this a few times causes the screen to stay at the console login. This happens when I log in both as a user and as root, or when I go straight to the console login from the GUI login. Reboots don't help either (hey, Windows habits are hard to kill :) ). Note that when directly use the console login, it just presents me with the same login prompt again, but it doesn't say anything about an incorrect username or password. Any help? It looks like an account problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Also, I already reinstalled once, so I'm trying to find a different solution. ;)

Thanks!
  • BrianFreytag
  • Born
  • Born
  • BrianFreytag

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too have this problem. Same deal as Tooth.

Did you get that fixed? If so, please let me know, so that I can correct it.

Thanks.
  • hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi pal
i think you have a problem with startx... your GUI is crashing. for that you login as root in terminal window and delete xintrd file. you can retrive GUI by doing this.
regards
  • sdrindani
  • Born
  • Born
  • sdrindani

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello,

I dont know if you already solved the problem.

I had this problem when I did an upgrade from RH 6.2 to RH 7.2. I couldnt solve it. Finally, I installed RH 7.2 as a fresh install rather than an upgrade. After that I did not have this problem. Is it possible you are trying to upgrade?

Saurabh
  • BrianFreytag
  • Born
  • Born
  • BrianFreytag

Post 3+ Months Ago

First, it's no the GUI, because when you try to log in at the terminal, it goes right back to the "Login" option. Even in the text login mode.

Second, I did a fresh install of Linux 9. I've been having trouble with my install media, so I'm going to try to redownload CD1. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Thank you.
  • Tooth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Tooth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it's a fresh install, and I can't login through any mode via any user (even root). Anybody have any other suggestions?
  • mizan
  • mizan

Post 3+ Months Ago

you need to install xwindows, e.g gnome

thanks,
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Student
  • Student
  • Anonymous_coward
  • Loc: A Cold Wet England

Post 3+ Months Ago

its often a resolution problem.
redhat will let you toggle up and down the resolution settings. see if that helps.

ctrl-alt - +
ctrl-alt - -

(what I mean by the above cryptic statement is hold down the ctrl and alt keys and tap the plus and minus keys to go up and down the resolutions automatically).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts